Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   My 1LE set a record (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305908)

cbass 07-05-2013 03:55 PM

My 1LE set a record

The quickest breakdown of any vehicle I have bought brand new. Around 200 miles and the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealership and apparently the the air box was deformed. So much for the one month quality hold it was in. :)

OzzySS 07-05-2013 04:26 PM

lol, dang that's fast!'
they get it fixed for ya already?

cbass 07-05-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzySS (Post 6754433)
lol, dang that's fast!'
they get it fixed for ya already?

They claim it's fixed. Will pick it up later today and hopefully all is well and things stay reliable.

Irishblackcoffee 07-05-2013 04:45 PM

Might be from all that heat there in AZ.. Hopefully they got it fixed for you..

Deftones 07-05-2013 04:50 PM

That's not a big deal at all.

cornerspeed92 07-05-2013 04:51 PM

Put a CAI on it :)

2cnd chance 07-05-2013 04:58 PM

And to think GM just won top honors in quality.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/19/auto...-gm/index.html

schecter7 07-05-2013 05:07 PM

Hope they got it fixed properly. Mine developed low rpm exhaust rattle and occasional wind noise (coming through the driver side window) at 200 miles. Unsurprisingly, they were not able to reproduce any of those. I bet intentional deafness is a common trait among service reps :sm0:

I'm going to order a pair of race ramps along with a hammer today :sm0:

cbass 07-05-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishblackcoffee (Post 6754493)
Might be from all that heat there in AZ.. Hopefully they got it fixed for you..

I was thinking about that. The car had to sit in the driveway while I epoxied the garage floor and was thinking maybe heat warped it. However, it's an air box. The plastic has to resist much higher heat being so close to the engine. I am thinking since it happened so soon the part just had to be defective. Annoying considering the mileage, but overall a quick and easy fix. Better than something like the heads being warped. :)

tramtwo 07-05-2013 10:30 PM

Seems like the car is functioning perfectly, there was a problem the computer recognized it. Fast turn around by your dealership not always the case.

Sunkistcamaro 07-05-2013 11:42 PM

That's fast 200 miles and the first problem. I'm at 800 tonight and got my first issue. Switching lanes are 70 on the highway the tire pressure monitoring system gave me a warning to get it checked out. The menu wasnt displaying tire pressure. It fixed itself after I restarted. Hope this doesn't happen all the time.

LuSe4 07-06-2013 05:12 AM

I wouldn't call this a breakdown, rather an inconvenience.

5.3Avalanche 07-06-2013 07:28 AM

How could the computer detect that the airbox was deformed? All it does is measure the airflow going into the throttle body. Unless the airbox was severly deformed or obstructed this should not have been discovered by the computer. Did they show you the airbox after they took it out? How was it "deformed" visibly? Do you know what code the car threw?

cbass 07-06-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.3Avalanche (Post 6756105)
How could the computer detect that the airbox was deformed? All it does is measure the airflow going into the throttle body. Unless the airbox was severly deformed or obstructed this should not have been discovered by the computer. Did they show you the airbox after they took it out? How was it "deformed" visibly? Do you know what code the car threw?

The computer cannot detect a deformed airbox specifically. What it can detect is a lean condition if it's bad enough. That lean condition can be caused by an number of things and in this case the dealer tracked it down to a deformed air box that was not sealing.

No, they did not show me the air box and I didn't ask. I wasn't all that interested. They got me in there quickly, fixed the car quickly and I was on my way. So far no more check engine light and that's all that matters.

I don't remember the code exactly.