Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Flowmaster Exhaust Drone (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144184)

abalch87 04-29-2011 12:13 AM

Flowmaster Exhaust Drone

So I recently got a cat-back exhaust installed with Flowmasters and I knew there would be a little drone to it, but I had no idea it would sound like a rice rocket when I got to high rpms. I hate it! Is there any way to eliminate that drone or at the very least decrease the sound? Help!!!!!!!

1BADLS3 04-29-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abalch87 (Post 3157874)
So I recently got a cat-back exhaust installed with Flowmasters and I knew there would be a little drone to it, but I had no idea it would sound like a rice rocket when I got to high rpms. I hate it! Is there any way to eliminate that drone or at the very least decrease the sound? Help!!!!!!!

This isn't meant to be a slam. But you own a V6. You will never, ever make it sound like a V8. There's a thread discussing how "deep sound" is produced through a number of factors including bore and stroke, firing order, and exhaust harmonics. It's not a size or power issue, it's a configuration issue. It's why V10's (IMHO) sound like ASS, and V12's sound more like a V6 than a comparably sized V8. Laws of physics apply here; that's not something even Flowmaster can change.

abalch87 04-29-2011 12:34 AM

I don't want it to sound like a V8. I just don't want the drone sound.

bmorecam 04-29-2011 12:40 AM

Is it the drone or the rasp at high rpm that you have a problem with? What other mods do you have?
The v6LLT produces raspy exhaust tone at high rpm which to some might get defined as "rice" but trust me its not ricey as a civic.
Its just the nature of the LLT SIDI V6 engine but the good news is that there's a way to eliminate what you dont like.
The easy solution is to install a magnaflow perforated x-pipe which will get rid of your drone and rasp.
Importantly, check the v6 exhaust sticky thread and listen to everybodie's exhaust setup and go from there.

AGENT-006 04-29-2011 01:13 AM

i had the rasp..
i got an X pipe with resonators between the x pipe and the mufflers..that helped a lot..
my buddy has an all stainless steel exhaust..all the pipes and everything..that helps.

Maverickhpr 04-29-2011 01:18 AM

I got the flowmasters also and also got a cold air intake installed same day mine does not have a drone to it I dunno the intake helps don't know you have one installed or not

rberns 04-29-2011 01:32 AM

Here is an easy solution. Remove the ones you have on now and install that factory stock. DUN!

ss=scuba steve 04-29-2011 02:30 AM

Buy a V8.... sorry had to do it. Much respect!

CAPT D 04-29-2011 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss=scuba steve (Post 3158067)
Buy a V8.... sorry had to do it. Much respect!

:popcorn:

Z28RockStar 04-29-2011 04:12 AM

LOL

gghg 04-29-2011 06:07 AM

I installed the flowmaster mufflers on my V6 auto and I get the drone at around 2000 rpm if it doesn't kick down, makes it even worse if you have a tune on the radio and the bass line in the song is at the same frequency as the drone. Not sure if I'm going to go back to stock or try another system.

JSC81 04-29-2011 06:19 AM

Not to bash V6 sound but I havent heard an exhaust clip yet that I liked. I would keep the stocks and keep her quiet.

As others have posted a resonated x pipe would do the trick.

Silver_Surfer 04-29-2011 06:25 AM

I have a Roto-fab CAI and a Magnaflow cat back. I had no back pressure and she flyed thru the gears and I realy had to watch my speed. I deffinetly noticed a big improvement in performance. However, the drone was so loud it gave me a headache. I had the X-pipe removed, it was not the preforated type as mentioned by a PP, and that was a HUGE improvement, although I did loose some of the deeper growl. Also, I find the best thing to almost eliminate the drone is to drive in SPORT mode.

abalch87 04-29-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmorecam (Post 3157939)
Is it the drone or the rasp at high rpm that you have a problem with? What other mods do you have?
The v6LLT produces raspy exhaust tone at high rpm which to some might get defined as "rice" but trust me its not ricey as a civic.
Its just the nature of the LLT SIDI V6 engine but the good news is that there's a way to eliminate what you dont like.
The easy solution is to install a magnaflow perforated x-pipe which will get rid of your drone and rasp.
Importantly, check the v6 exhaust sticky thread and listen to everybodie's exhaust setup and go from there.

The only performance mods I have are an AirRaid CAI, and the Flowmaster Caback Exhaust. Still working on it, looking to get other mods, but idk what. Anyways, its the rasp that's annoying. It sounds very ricey. So you think an X-pipe will work?