Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Lowering Springs? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172007)

TDevilsG 09-18-2011 12:01 AM

Lowering Springs?

Hey everyone, I've been told that adding lowering springs to your ride is a must when picking up a new Camaro. My 1LT 2012 is being built right now and I'm considering it. I have three questions: 1)can anyone recommend some springs for me to use (link please?) 2)Can I have this installed by the dealer upon arrival? 3)What is the true use for these? Are they really a must?

Thank you for the help!!! :chevy:

CamaroKid300 09-18-2011 12:28 AM

I don't know all the technical aspect of it...but lots of people just like the look of the car lowered a bit. Me personally will never lower mine... I scrape all the time.

Jay_LHD3 09-18-2011 12:29 AM

1) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83
2) Depends on your dealer.
3) Appearance and removes most of the boat/truck feel when going around a turn. (You will needs some extra suspension parts if you're doing it for handling.

Yes they are a must!!

:D

Sterling 09-18-2011 12:39 AM

I wouldn't let anyone tell you what is a must... they didn't buy the car and aren't handing you cash for the upgrades. I'd consider lowering springs a look upgrade more than anything. It really does look better lowered a bit. It will help the handling some because it lowers the center of gravity of the car and the springs are a little stiffer than the stock ones. It will make the bumps a little more harsh, but not too bad according to most of the feedback I've heard. Everyone seems to like their lowering springs and I don't really recall a bad review about a certain brand. The big names around here in springs are Pedders, Phadt, Hotchkis, BMR and Eibach. I don't have any yet... but when I do I'm planning on using Apex. Their customer service is fantastic, and they ship very quickly. I'd take my time to look around some at All of our wonderful sponsors though... if you go to the homepage you can see the sponsors list from there.

hrpiii 09-18-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterling (Post 3768092)
I wouldn't let anyone tell you what is a must... they didn't buy the car and aren't handing you cash for the upgrades. I'd consider lowering springs a look upgrade more than anything. It really does look better lowered a bit. It will help the handling some because it lowers the center of gravity of the car and the springs are a little stiffer than the stock ones. It will make the bumps a little more harsh, but not too bad according to most of the feedback I've heard. Everyone seems to like their lowering springs and I don't really recall a bad review about a certain brand. The big names around here in springs are Pedders, Phadt, Hotchkis, BMR and Eibach. I don't have any yet... but when I do I'm planning on using Apex. Their customer service is fantastic, and they ship very quickly. I'd take my time to look around some at All of our wonderful sponsors though... if you go to the homepage you can see the sponsors list from there.

what he said :thumbsup:

lowering springs, great look for the car (IMO not considered a MUST)
new swaybars , this is a must and improves handling a LOT.

both is even better.

Jamie Mac 09-18-2011 07:32 AM

If you do lower your car please consider where you will be driving first. Steep entrances to driveways or parking lots can be a pain to not scrape. If there are a lot of potholes in your area, you will really feel the hit hard since you now have less shock travel. If you have a lot of speed bumps you have to ease your front tire off of them or you will bottom out right behind the tire. If you go over something with a peak to it you can really scrape hard. I love my car lowered and together with some other suspension goodies I like the way it handles now way better than stock and like the looks. Just be very aware that depending on where you typically drive that you may be trading the lowered looks for some scrapes and bangs.

Orange5thGen 09-18-2011 07:40 AM

I have the Eibach pro kit, you should do it very nice mod and makes a world of difference...
Try your dealer for the install more than likely they will not do it though...Look for a reasonable shop around you or check with our sponsor section here. You may find one near you.

It only lowers about an inch and makes it look awesome..
Here is my 1LT with them installed...

http://oi53.tinypic.com/29w38dy.jpg

MS3DALE 09-18-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Mac (Post 3768412)
If you do lower your car please consider where you will be driving first. Steep entrances to driveways or parking lots can be a pain to not scrape. If there are a lot of potholes in your area, you will really feel the hit hard since you now have less shock travel. If you have a lot of speed bumps you have to ease your front tire off of them or you will bottom out right behind the tire. If you go over something with a peak to it you can really scrape hard. I love my car lowered and together with some other suspension goodies I like the way it handles now way better than stock and like the looks. Just be very aware that depending on where you typically drive that you may be trading the lowered looks for some scrapes and bangs.

^^^This pretty much sums it up^^^
And I'm in the same boat as you,I actually work very closely with a suspension supplier quite a bit,who has not only offered me FREE 1" lowering springs but has also offered to install them, and do the alignment afterwards at no charge to me.
I'm torn,I like the stock look,but I also like the way cars such as Jamie Mac's look after being lowered an 1",as he mentioned you have to take into account where you will be driving,around here we have lots of potholes! and even if there are no potholes the roads here are not exactly "glass smooth" as they are down South or out West.
I would recommend seeing if you can find someone around you that has one lowered,and see if you can go for a ride,or better yet if they will let you take it for a little drive so you can see first hand if you like it,and if its acceptable to you :thumbsup:

VR Baron 09-18-2011 11:17 AM

Yes, read all of the above posts and really take everything into account.The V6 shocks will help greatly in the ride as they are softer then the V8's but the firmer abrupt feel over certain bumps is there and the usual more frequent up and down wheel movement with lower springs ofer the road irregularities is there also

mhog 09-18-2011 01:21 PM

Drive your new camaro for a few months first to learn what it feels like. You will appreciate the mods more. Yes, lowering is a must. Otherwise you are driving a donk. :laugh:

SS_RS11 09-23-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange5thGen (Post 3768419)
I have the Eibach pro kit, you should do it very nice mod and makes a world of difference...
Try your dealer for the install more than likely they will not do it though...Look for a reasonable shop around you or check with our sponsor section here. You may find one near you.

It only lowers about an inch and makes it look awesome..
Here is my 1LT with them installed...

http://oi53.tinypic.com/29w38dy.jpg

Wow this looks absolutely perfect! This pick has me sold i was very close to purchasing the bmr springs but hadnt found a pick like this. i also have the SS/RS package just like this but in black..

caverman 09-23-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS_RS11 (Post 3790743)
Wow this looks absolutely perfect! This pick has me sold i was very close to purchasing the bmr springs but hadnt found a pick like this. i also have the SS/RS package just like this but in black..

Eibach is a 1" drop so any spring that will lower you to that will get you the same look. BMR sells a 1" spring as well. Pfadt is very popular but is a 1.25" drop and you have to cut the bumpstops. I had Hotchkis 1" until I got my coilovers.

As far as the dealer...even if they will do the install you'll be paying extra because it is a dealership. Same will go with the alignment you'll need afterwards....the dealership will charge more than going else where.

Something else you'll want to make sure to do is to have the bushings "timed" after lowering the car. Do a search.....plenty of info out there about how to have them do that. Don't assume whoever installs your springs or aligns your car will automatically time the bushings either. It's more work so you'll have to pay for it.

LewiSS 09-23-2011 10:25 AM

Anybody have a 1" drop in the front? I want to see what that looks like!

brantley847 09-23-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LewiSS (Post 3791781)
Anybody have a 1" drop in the front? I want to see what that looks like!

I don't have a head on front picture with the drop yet, but I have this angle. You have plenty of clearance with a 1 inch.

Eibach 1"... it is a bit more noticeable in person than it is in pictures. I didn't want to go any further than 1". A lot of bumps in my city, but it looks great....

BEFORE

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4694840_n.jpg

AFTER

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...03191464_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...73688602_n.jpg