Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Fluctuating volt gauge? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226172)

2012-2SS 05-24-2012 02:29 PM

Fluctuating volt gauge?

So I have noticed that my volt gauge sometimes reads a hair over 12 volts and sometimes up more like 13.5ish volts. While the gauge was reading low I popped the hood and put a volt meter on the battery cable terminal and read 13.9v. Then I tried it again when the gauge read higher and still got 13.9v. Anyone else notice the volt gauge inconsistancies? There's no rhym or reason to it as electrical load doesn't matter for whether it reads higher or lower. :help:

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-24-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012-2SS (Post 5016959)
So I have noticed that my volt gauge sometimes reads a hair over 12 volts and sometimes up more like 13.5ish volts. While the gauge was reading low I popped the hood and put a volt meter on the battery cable terminal and read 13.9v. Then I tried it again when the gauge read higher and still got 13.9v. Anyone else notice the volt gauge inconsistancies? There's no rhym or reason to it as electrical load doesn't matter for whether it reads higher or lower. :help:

I do apologize for your frustration. The most effective thing to do is to get the vehicle to your local dealership for diagnosis. From there they should be able to address your concern. Once diagnosed, they also should run your VIN for any applicable warranties. It is hard to say what exactly is going on without a proper diagnosis. I hope this information was helpful.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

chromepusher 07-02-2012 02:02 AM

I just this past week noticed the exact same situation with my 2010 SS RS. I checked the battery and charging system and did not find any problems. It's going in to the dealership on Wednesday for an oil pan gasket and drivers outside mirror glass replacement. I'll add this to the list.

2012-2SS 07-02-2012 10:29 PM

Mine is going in for clutch problems and I'm going to have them look at it too.

caligrown562 07-02-2012 11:34 PM

what's wrong with your clutch? I am having issues with mine also and wanna know if there the same...

2012-2SS 07-03-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caligrown562 (Post 5228963)
what's wrong with your clutch? I am having issues with mine also and wanna know if there the same...

The pedal stuck on me and burned up the clutch pretty bad. Dealer is replacing clutch and installing a new pedal assembly to supposedly fix the problem. Do a search, there's endless threads on it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

caligrown562 07-03-2012 01:41 AM

my pedal hasn't stuck on me yet but have been getting a ton of noise and my car feels sluggish like the clutch is slipping on me...it just doesn't feel the same like when it was new

Chevrolet Customer Svc 07-03-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromepusher (Post 5223615)
I just this past week noticed the exact same situation with my 2010 SS RS. I checked the battery and charging system and did not find any problems. It's going in to the dealership on Wednesday for an oil pan gasket and drivers outside mirror glass replacement. I'll add this to the list.

Please let us know how your trip to the dealership goes and if they were able to diagnose the concerns you have been having. I look forward to your updates!

Brandon

chromepusher 07-08-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 5231005)
Please let us know how your trip to the dealership goes and if they were able to diagnose the concerns you have been having. I look forward to your updates!

Brandon

GM Tech checked the gauge and told me this is normal behavior. Charging rates are controlled by the ECM and vary depending on load. I.e. AC on, headlights, etc. I'm happy with the answer and not concerned that there is a problem. :thumbup:

2012-2SS 07-08-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromepusher (Post 5254414)
GM Tech checked the gauge and told me this is normal behavior. Charging rates are controlled by the ECM and vary depending on load. I.e. AC on, headlights, etc. I'm happy with the answer and not concerned that there is a problem. :thumbup:

Good to hear, I didn't think there was a problem but interesting how ecm controls the charging. I guess I'm just used to older style alternators where you can readily see voltage drop as you turn things on and off. My car will be at the dealer Monday anyway so I'll confirm with one of their techs.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

ChrisBlair 07-08-2012 04:57 PM

:) Saw this the day I got my 1SS. Manual mentions that fluctuations between high and low range are normal, but the manual also should mention that the ECM dictates the voltage and the fluctuation depending on load. This is one of those times an idiot light would have been better than a gauge, since the gauge creates needless owner worry due to lack of info in the manual. Actually the old skool 'GEN' idiot light told the driver a fair bit of info, depending on how bright the light was, when it was on, etc; thing is that most owners never knew it. But I digress

This ECM stuff sure beats the days of voltage regulators overcharging batteries, eh?