Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   radio reception question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221390)

bigted83 05-04-2012 05:57 AM

radio reception question

Has anyone else's radio reception got worse after installing the fark harness, I am not badmouthing ********s harness at all or saying its a bad product cuz its not. I just can't pick up the radio stations

ITGuy11 05-04-2012 08:07 AM

Yes! I don't have the FARK, but I do have the ******** RCA output harness and my radio reception has definitely gotten worse...

jeepguy_1980 05-04-2012 08:24 AM

There have been lots of posts of guys complaining that their amps have interfered with their radio reception. The antenna is in the glass after all.

justa25thTA 05-04-2012 08:29 AM

nope, fine here

Agent WD-40 05-04-2012 12:29 PM

Are you using a Class D amp? That is likely the problem.

I experienced this exact problem when I had a Class D amp. I posted this thread on what I did to alleviate the problem. As I mentioned in the thread it probably fixed about 90% of the problem. If I stayed in town my reception was OK with most stations, as I got out of town my reception got weaker than it did when stock.

I did a bunch of research on this, spoke with JL Audio tech support, etc. From what I learned this is a problem in general with all Class D amps. They can interfere with radio reception. The guy I spoke with at JL said he has done tons of installs with Camaros and Corvettes and a few have had issues but most don't. Some types of cars are more sensitive than others, but a lot of it is specific to the installation of the equipment (where amps are mounted, where the antenna is located, length of the wires and where you run them, etc).

As I'm sure you have here seen here on Camaro5 there are lots of people using Class D amps. It seems like some have problems, lots don't. I know there are lots of other people using the exact amp I started with without issue. I suppose some of the people not reporting problems may never be listening to the radio but I'll bet most people do listen to the radio.

My final solution was to replace my Class D Amp with a Class A/B amp. Now reception is back to exactly the way it was stock. I spend enough time traveling out of town that I wanted better reception.

I still have all of the ferrite clamps I used but don't need any more. PM me if you are interested in buying them from me. Radio Shack and Parts Express both sell these new.

jeepguy_1980 05-04-2012 12:48 PM

I was hesitant to get the HD900/5 aftrt I read Agents previous thread. But I went with it anyways and haven't had any reception problems.

Then again, I never really thought the camaro had good reception to begin with.

y2jdmbfan 05-09-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 (Post 4911399)
I was hesitant to get the HD900/5 aftrt I read Agents previous thread. But I went with it anyways and haven't had any reception problems.

Then again, I never really thought the camaro had good reception to begin with.

Where did you install your HD900/5?