Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Loss of low end torque w/ Roto-Fab CAI on 2013 ZL1? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296943)

Mil 05-22-2013 09:55 PM

I've ran nothing but 93 octane since the day i took delivery. My ZL1 was ordered, it wasn't purchased off the lot. Just to be sure and out of curiosity I done the fuse pull way before i've done any mods. I didn't experience any difference from the fuse pull so I guessed I were the lucky few that actually took delivery of my ZL1 with the proper 93 octane. I have up to 4,500 miles logged. I had all my traction assists off. I went back to check and made sure all my hoses related to this mod are on tight.. they were fine so still puzzled how some are claiming increase on all ranges of the rpm. Anyway its a pretty simple mod.. i don't see how i could mess it up.. I'll post pictures some point over the weekend for those who suggessted it.. so you could see if i messed it up or not.

Enough 05-23-2013 08:05 AM

Give it some time (couple of weeks) for the car to self adjust your fuel trims. This flat is normal for adding something which adds more air and creates a slightly different flow path over the MAF sensor. I felt the same right off idle low end flat spot and it corrected itself over time.

hognutz 05-23-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mil (Post 6577584)
I've ran nothing but 93 octane since the day i took delivery. My ZL1 was ordered, it wasn't purchased off the lot. Just to be sure and out of curiosity I done the fuse pull way before i've done any mods. I didn't experience any difference from the fuse pull so I guessed I were the lucky few that actually took delivery of my ZL1 with the proper 93 octane. I have up to 4,500 miles logged. I had all my traction assists off. I went back to check and made sure all my hoses related to this mod are on tight.. they were fine so still puzzled how some are claiming increase on all ranges of the rpm. Anyway its a pretty simple mod.. i don't see how i could mess it up.. I'll post pictures some point over the weekend for those who suggessted it.. so you could see if i messed it up or not.

I took delivery of my ordered car with 8 miles on it and ran nothing but premium. The fuse pull woke mine up for sure. even my wife noticed it.

just make sure you pulled both fuses and they were the right number. I thought the fuse pull was BS until I did it. Now some say it does nothing but on my car it was noticable. this was even before mods.

need to get on a dyno or at least datalog the car. right now it is all speculative posts. The butt dyno is not calibrated very well.

to people who say 25hp is not noticable it disagree you should be able to feel 25hp. so if you don't it is either some kind of wied misconception IE the power is just even more linear not and is fooling you or you maf transfer function went off for soem reason and you running rich robbing power.

Juiced1 05-23-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlietuna (Post 6572793)
:word:

And my butt-dyno thinks the gains are substantial ;)

We've seen plenty of dyno numbers on these intakes already. They make a solid 15 rwhp on the top end and all through the mid range power band. If you lose any power it's well below your power band and shouldn't have any effect on a race. Also, 15 rwhp on a car making over 550 hp isn't something that should make a night and day difference. It's about a 2% power gain to kind of put it into perspective. If you really want to feel a big jump in power you'll need to look into long tube headers or some pulley work!

OldScoolCamaro 05-23-2013 09:10 PM

^...and to that end, I understand your point, but I would like to ad that long term experience and the ability to articulate/express into words, and have visceral feel are different things. Perspective is reality is the saying. They vary wildy. Therefore proven methods of documenting and repeating results is key, such as in a scientiific method. Dyno pulls are a good source, and granted they vary somewhat due to the technology, but they are real world. Also someone who is very good at doing something may not be able to translate that ability, give feedback, or discriminate enough between what is noticeable and what is not. Semantics to a degree, ones perception versus reality another. However, some are locked in, plugged in, or in tune to a point with something to the degree that they are able to distinguish between fine differences of performance and can differentiate between them. Dynos are good, and an additional 100 HP is even better, but a driver with enough seat time and experience can relate to the changes in performance up or down the scale readily.

Mil 05-24-2013 04:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enough (Post 6578706)
Give it some time (couple of weeks) for the car to self adjust your fuel trims. This flat is normal for adding something which adds more air and creates a slightly different flow path over the MAF sensor. I felt the same right off idle low end flat spot and it corrected itself over time.

It's getting stronger.. today I smoked up the back tire. Did a huge burn out started on 2nd gr from dead stop. thanks everyone for chiming in. I guess it probably did take a few runs for the engine to re-map the change in air volume. best no tune mod ever! :bow: Thanks Roto-Fab Here are my install photos:

#737 ZL1 05-24-2013 06:39 PM

looks excellent, cant wait to do mine. Nice job

Mil 05-24-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #737 ZL1 (Post 6585373)
looks excellent, cant wait to do mine. Nice job

Thanks...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Amd2aPqE0

I used the video instructions.

yellow69z28rs 05-24-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mil (Post 6577501)
nannies off/ traction control off. Anyway .. guess i should have done my homework before deciding on this mod.. Now i have a head turning super charged air sucking machine that screams under the hood when i exhilarate, but it is now not as fun taking off from dead stop w/ less torque.

I have read that with a CAI mod for most cars it seems to be normal that low in power/torque is compromised .. but the gains are pushed towards the upper rpm range which is basically only a benefit for track driving.

I had EXACTLY the same experience.
Then I added headers, cat delete, and crank pulley, then the butt dyno picked up the 60 hp and tq gain!

Mil 05-24-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellow69z28rs (Post 6586049)
I had EXACTLY the same experience.
Then I added headers, cat delete, and crank pulley, then the butt dyno picked up the 60 hp and tq gain!

Noticed after I've added some miles after the mod .. its pulling now. I think what happened was the ecu took some time to re map it self trimming the fuel and extra air that it is getting. It took me by surprise today.. i had it on 2nd gear from start sitting at a light. when i took off the back tires broke loose. I put down some serious smoke. If i hadn't let up on the gas i think it would have continued leaving a trail of white smoke all the way across the intersection.

kevin1106 05-26-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 ZL1#1658 (Post 6573802)
I'm sorry but with a CAI, I wouldn't imagine that you would experience the additional HP in a significant fashion. I mean you will have a nicer looking and sounding car but as far as the additional 35 or so HP, I wouldn't expect to feel any significant difference. :iono:

:word: only adding 30-35hp isn't enough to feel any differences... The only way to see the gains or by having the car on a dyno... Get a baseline rwhp, then with CAI.. Saying the car is slower is a mental thing.... Your expecting to feel a difference when your not. Therefore you think it's slower...

Put the stock air box back in and get it dyno ed, then put the roto-fab in and dyno the car again.... There's your answer.

kalamajama 05-26-2013 09:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mil (Post 6572421)
Hello,

Anyone have solution or answers to the above subject matter.

I made this my first performance mod, but I don't feel any increase in HP.

If anything car feels slower on initial launch, w/ less torque??

Did you also install the big gulp? Just got mine done. All three roto fab mods. Havn't left my garage yet though......Rain :mad0259: