Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   why no CAI stock? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320057)

parkermoeder 09-26-2013 11:24 AM

why no CAI stock?

i was just wondering why a cold air intake doesnt come stock on a performance car like the camaro. if the claims are true that +15rwhp and +2-4 mpg(which i havent seen even close too) why wouldnt they put it on stock and post those claims? do they not pass smog or some stupid test in california or something. and i figure if they buy in bulk or make their own it wouldnt cost much either

edit: corrected spelling sorry on my phone

menendez1293 09-26-2013 11:26 AM

Some intakes are not 50 state legal. But the reason they don't come on this car is simple. Cost.

parkermoeder 09-26-2013 11:29 AM

but wouldnt most people not complain for the extra 15hp and maybe a $200 price on the car?

ChrisBlair 09-26-2013 11:30 AM

Same reason the mailslot does nothing

intensifi 09-26-2013 11:30 AM

I can't speak for emission laws around the country. But that is probably a contributing factor.

I note the new Z/28 has one.

The existing Zl1s have higher flow rate air filters (I know not quite the same thing).

There were proposed CAIs in the 2010 model year from GMPP that never materialized.

So given that GM is all about profit, maybe it isn't worth it for them to tool up for something like CAIs???

I also find it interesting that many of the aftermarket super car builders seem to leave the stock air box in place. Why do they do that?

menendez1293 09-26-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkermoeder (Post 7038942)
but wouldnt most people not complain for the extra 15hp and maybe a $200 price on the car?

For someone that cares about performance probably wouldn't mind. But you have to realize that most of the population doesn't know what a CAI does.

ChrisBlair 09-26-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkermoeder (Post 7038942)

...and potentially not being able to register it?

But 'cost' in this case is not simply 'cost to the buyer'. It's cost to manufacture the vehicle. Each car model has to have a profitable Business Model in order to be put into production and brought to market. That's why you see commonality of parts in many GMs: a radio for example in some 2012 Chevies is the same as the one in my 2007 Pontiac. The radio was already designed and built and in stock. It was wise from a business model standpoint to use it in the 2012 Chevy.

GM doesn't care if you pay 200 bucks more. They care if the cost to bring the vehicle to market with a part like CAI included in the design reduces their profit margin from what they want to see as minimum return to something less than they feel is worthwhile.

parkermoeder 09-26-2013 11:38 AM

i was just thinking that they could of done it from the start and maybe wouldnt have cost as much to design and manufacture and if the price does jump up a bit so will the 440hp and 17 or 18 mpg in the city(just going off claims for differnt manufactors)

karnov 09-26-2013 11:38 AM

Because CAIs are an aftermarket money making scam and the manufacturers know it. Numerous tests have been done that adding a CAI to an otherwise stock engine will provide nothing noticeably more than a sound difference. Unless your running cat-less on the track, a CAI is useless for performance.

That being said, the stock air-filters are junk and restrictive, but adding a high-flow filter in the stock air intake will net the same gains on an otherwise stock setup.

JDP Sales 09-26-2013 11:39 AM

Gives you something to upgrade and customize! :thumb:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

JR 1 09-26-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkermoeder (Post 7038921)
i was just wondering why a cold air intake doesnt come stock on a performance car like the camaro. if the claims are true that +15rwhp and +2-4 mpg(which i havent seen even close too) why wouldnt they put it on stock and post those claims? do they not pass smog or some stupid test in california or something. and i figure if they buy in bulk or make their own it wouldnt cost much either

edit: corrected spelling sorry on my phone

In addition to legal requirements like emissions, there are a lot of internal GM requirements for air induction. There are obvious things like flow rate, but the primary purpose of the large factory air boxes are for noise reduction. There are also some pretty severe tests for water and snow ingestion which can be a problem with an exposed filter. Also, cost is a major factor.

To your point the Camaro is a performance car so in theory the requirements should be different than say a Malibu, but there are still a lot of people that buy Camaros that will drive them like Malibus and expect them to be quiet, durable, etc. In the end it's up to the program team that works on the Camaro to balance all the requirements.

Fbodfather?

strych9 09-26-2013 11:41 AM

Shelby Mustangs have them from the factory.

JDP Sales 09-26-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karnov (Post 7038974)
Because CAIs are an aftermarket money making scam and the manufacturers know it. Numerous tests have been done that adding a CAI to an otherwise stock engine will provide nothing more than a sound difference. Unless your running cat-less on the track, a CAI is useless for performance.

That being said, the stock air-filters are junk and restrictive, but adding a high-flow filter in the stock air intake will net the same gains on an otherwise stock setup.

This is absolutely not true.. On some cars i will agree, but these cars really like an intake system and have been proven to give roughly a 15 WHP gain. Not to mention they look great and sound a lot better.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

strych9 09-26-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBlair (Post 7038944)
Same reason the mailslot does nothing

Quote:

Originally Posted by karnov (Post 7038974)
Because CAIs are an aftermarket money making scam and the manufacturers know it. Numerous tests have been done that adding a CAI to an otherwise stock engine will provide nothing noticeably more than a sound difference. Unless your running cat-less on the track, a CAI is useless for performance.

Ummm...yeah, ok. Some are, indeed. Good ones actually do something. Read on.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202