Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Camaro SS Bandit Conversion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623247)

hesster 02-22-2024 11:57 AM

Camaro SS Bandit Conversion

4 Attachment(s)
I am starting a another Member Build Thread.

My previous Build is called "Hesster's 2010 SS "Street Monster" Build Thread", so been there before, that was ~8 years ago. Lots of technical stuff and pics.

Since then I moved, and built a Barn with the intention of having more space to build cars, and not stumbling around in my old house's 2-1/2 Car Garage. It did serve me well however.
So on to the build. I will include pics and detail as we go along for your enjoyment, and tips, tricks, Specs, and F-Ups along the way which are inevitable.
This build is to be a Trans Am Conversion, Bandit SE edition. There is a show on TV called "Trans Am" where they converted around (71) 5th/6th Gen Camaros into TA's, at a cost of up to $150K. That is the high end stuff, custom built to order, signed by Burt, and a army of builders to do it. Sold all of them. Not what I am doing, since mine is a Body Kit and lot's of DIY, but still pretty cool IMO. At least when I get done hopefully. I already own a original 1977 SE Bandit, so that will serve as a template for some styling.

So enough preface to start, here are preliminary details.
You need a Base car to do this, 2010 - 2013 MY for the Kit to fit. The Kit is sold by ZTA/Woodward Speed Shop. And not cheap. So they are in Pontiac MI, which is hour drive. Went there, scoped it out, payed cash and had the kit loaded in my Truck. Did not even have a Base Car yet, that takes some balls, or borders on a bad case of "Mod Fever".
Next was to find a donor car. Yep they are out there, most with high mileage and beat up, and overpriced. I wanted a low mileage BLACK 2010-2013, preferrably 2SS/RS, and was willing to pay within reason. Found a few, but priced absurdly. Then found a candidate 4 hrs away in mid Ohio at a small corner lot, a car flipper, nice gent. It's a 2010 1SS, Black, with ~7.5K miles. Yeah - less than 8K miles! That was just hard to believe, the sales guy said "the 74 year old single owner didn't drive it much":)
Made a cash offer which always helps, asked him to hold the car if possible so I could drive down to look it over since it was hard to believe. I ran the VIN, it showed up as a 1SS, but the pics howed a leather interior. Called the seller, and the previous owner had installed a Katzkin Leather interior. It obviously sat alot in heated storage. Bought it on sight, and drove it home in a snowstorm. Was a little concerned that the tires were 14 years old, and even think they (P-Zero's) are a little flat spotted. No problem, they will get changed. What a find, the car is like new, body, paint, and interior.
So I now have the basics to start the build, and enough to get the thread started. Will add as we go and welcome questions and comments!

morepowerjoe 02-22-2024 12:04 PM

Looks like fun!

hesster 02-22-2024 12:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Round 2. Trying not to overload any single post.

Unlike the big buck custom Trans Am Depot cars, the body ZTA Kit is a little different. TA Depot custom makes their Fascias from CF hand lay-up's. Nose bleed expensive and unforgiving if bumped.
The ZTA Fascias are RIM made on Aluminum Tooling designed by the Woodward Shop owner. So they are flexible like what is on our cars. I was impressed on the initial quality and attention to detail - almost zero flash and just scuff them up to be painted.
The hood is quality fiberglass, not like the cheap old racing stuff which flexs all over and fits terribly.
The Fenders are stock stampings, restamped for the Extractors.
Other parts are Injection or Blow Molded - ZTA Spoiler, Shaker Scoop, Tail Light Housings, Side and Rear Qtr extractors, Bezels, etc.

All parts need Paint. My donor car's Paint is so nice I just need to buff what does not get replaced - Roof, Doors, and Quarters. And remove the White factory? stripe, heat gun I suppose.

I am used to spraying PPG, but am going with Tamco which has everything needed at a reasonable price. So lot's to buy:
GM Onyx Black 41/GBA/8555, Clearcoat, 2k Primer, Reducer, Flex Additive, Fish Eye eliminator, prep cleaners. And some 55/7015 Snowflake Gold for maybe stripes, or Trim Pieces.

I will paint all of the panels and pieces after trial fitting everything.
Not sure about the Bandit stripes direction yet, either custom Air Brush all the stripes, or buy a complete Phoenix Graphics "Ultimate Bandit" kit and cut up the premolded stripes to fit. I want it to look JUST LIKE my Bandit, within the confines of the Camaro Body. I'll figure it out.

A trial fit of the Bandit Hood Bird Decal does seem to fit the Camaro hood, although the Camaro Hood is shorter and wider. So I can go that route, or custom paint a Bird. Traced a template off of my Bandit to assess this.
And took lots of Bandit Pics as reference, included some in this post for fun. Will eventually move the "other" Camaro into the House Garage and pull the Bandit up next to the Conversion to do side by side assessments.

I basically want to keep this project Stock from a Drivetrain and Chassis standpoint, maybe some LT's and Exhaust down the road. Also maybe some Rocker Panels, and different Diffuser to round it out. Undecided on Wheels - prob large Snowflakes would be best, or painted Z28's. Not sure yet.
Having fun so far!

The_bald_eagle_machine 02-22-2024 01:26 PM

Oh I am stoked on this... Looks like it is going to be one of those really detailed journals which just appeals to my need for details and descriptions. Following.

hesster 02-22-2024 03:52 PM

Thanks Brother -looks like you have a nice thread, and I will take the time to read it all. It's how you learn, regardless of your experience. Looks like you also scored a great SS.

FasNuf 02-22-2024 04:38 PM

Very nice late 70's there too. wow

Y88 TA 02-22-2024 04:42 PM

:coolpics:This is interesting! Great looking 77.

FasNuf 02-22-2024 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y88 TA (Post 11406114)
:coolpics:This is interesting! Great looking 77.

I cant tell the 77 from 78 :noidea:

hesster 02-22-2024 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'True 77's have a Honeycomb Grille. 78's have a star or Diamond Pattern Grille.

SlowLS1 02-22-2024 06:04 PM

Looking forward too seeing this build. I personally miss the Trans Am!

BTW, the paint on your 77 is flat! Someone has spend a lot of time working on that clear coat! :bow:

acutron42 02-23-2024 05:42 AM

Those are going to look awesome side by side. Just my opinion but go with the snow flakes!!!

Ashen 6.2 02-23-2024 05:59 AM

This is awesome and what a great find for a donor car! Looking forward to seeing more!

hesster 02-23-2024 07:29 AM

The Bandit's type of Paint is my go to for a older car - Acrylic Urethane. NO clear coat like on our Camaro's. Painted it in my garage. Multiple coats, then wet sand dead flat and polish until it is black glass.

SlowLS1 02-23-2024 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hesster (Post 11406279)
The Bandit's type of Paint is my go to for a older car - Acrylic Urethane. NO clear coat like on our Camaro's. Painted it in my garage. Multiple coats, then wet sand dead flat and polish until it is black glass.

You did an excellent job on it. :happy0180: