Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   3rd Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   restoring a 1985 Camaro Berlinetta Edition (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270387)

gazers-son 01-11-2013 12:47 AM

restoring a 1985 Camaro Berlinetta Edition

9 Attachment(s)
So, too start things off, I don't think I have made a post here in over a year. so hello to everyone! I check the sight almost everyday but being only 17 and not having a Camaro too play with like all you lucky people on here, I was stuck. until now.

I was on kijiji the other day and found an add for a 1985 Camaro Berlinetta Edition, at this state i new nothing about the car. or that this car Edition existed. i started looking into it and as i keep looking, i really wanted this car, the more I found out the more i wanted to save this car from sitting outside for another 15 years. (that's how long the add said its been sitting there). 3 days ago when I found this car at 3 in the morning, i never would have imagined that this was ever possible, but today after talking with the girlfriend of a year and a half's father (total gear head, loves cars and is more then experienced and willing to help) for a good half hour, I started too think at only 17 I really take this on. the hardest thing too do would be convincing my parents that this wouldn't be a waste of money, and to let me try. but to my surprise I didn't even have to argue with them after they found out it wasn't going to sit in there drive way for the next five years and i had people who knew what they were doing to help me.

now that the back story's out of the way on to the car. I'm not sure if it runs, or how bad the rust is, (i plan too go look at it a week Saturday) but by the pictures on the add the car looks to be in good shape, apart from the hood and a crack in the front bumper. I hope I can get the car for a good price, something I can get out of parting the car out and if it comes down to it.. I really don't want to but......scrap what's left.... so my question too you guys who know a lot more then i do about these cars and maybe even grew up driving them what do you think is a good price?

I have a few ideas with what I want too do to the car, but the thing that keeps floating in my head is, should i build it the way I want it? make it look like a bad a$$ third gen with the futuristic (for its time) interior. am i really going to be able to pay insurance on it with only a G2? (looking at around 5000$ a year :mad0260:) and drive it as my first car? OR the big OR should i go stock, brown with gold trim, make it look like a collector item, and save one of these rare pieces of history, then resell to get a more shall we say practical first car. :sm0: i want to make the dream in my head come too, i want a show car down how i like it (on a budget) high glass candy apple red, black stripes... nice big 350 big block or even a nice 454... :drool: i want this thing too be loud. i want to set off other peoples car alarms. :headbang:

what do you guys think of the car, i will attach pictures off the add. and if this dream does come true would you guys be interested in a build thread on here? thanks for looking and taking the time to read this, an attempting camaro owner and fan, Rob. :)

iCamaro 01-11-2013 12:50 AM

I think it's a great idea. There is a third gen section on this forum that you could put the build!

insidethreat07 01-11-2013 12:51 AM

thirdgen.org will help you out a lot

mickss 01-11-2013 01:12 AM

I think I would pass on this car. It`s hard to judge by the pictures but the drivers side door appears to bow out at top and the hood dips below the fender on the passenger side which might indicate that the unibody is bent. Also pop the hood and check the upper strut towers for rust, 3rd gen`s are notorious for rusted towers. Either way good luck with your decision, I hope I`m wrong. :)

Da Mammer 01-11-2013 02:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That car is going to be a lot of work, but if you are really able to have the motivation to finish,...Here is an 86 Berlinetta my friends and I built for my buddy's wife. Was a white car, v6, 5-speed car. Is now a black with pink flake in clear coat, pink racing stripes (painted stripes) custom pink/black interior, 6-speed, 383 with a pro charger super charger.

Brian 1LE SS 01-11-2013 02:37 AM

Being a ttop car I wouldnt mess with it. Those damn things I leak bigtime and I bet the floor is rusted. Offer the owner no more than $50.00.

06_warrior 01-11-2013 03:11 AM

I think the car is in too bad of shape. It will take lots of money and time to restore. Your better off looking for a decent IROC-Z 1985 or newer. Back in the day i had a 86 IROC-Z with the tuned port 5.0 liter. Car was bad ass. I would pass on this one. jmo

mdub76 01-11-2013 03:40 AM

I would pass. Find a 88 or newer iroc/z28 w/ a 350. That car is not really collectible. These car notorious for quality problems.

MLL67RSSS 01-11-2013 05:38 AM

From the looks of it it is going to require a LOT of metal fab and most likely unibody frame rails and floor boards replaced from the rust I'm seeing. Are you going to do it yourself? Do you know someone with a shop?A friend restored a '67 Firebird with lots of rust doing almost everyting but the body/frame and engine work and has around $35K in it. If you pay someone to do it it would be more. At best you'd have $15 -$25K in an '85 Belinetta you'd be lucky to sell for $8k when it's done. Does that make sense to you? You'd be far better off finding a solid/rust free car from out west/ Arizona area.
Sorry but if you're parents told you it would be a waste of money I'd have to agree with them.

ToolFan66 01-11-2013 05:45 AM

Pass!! Scrap metal/plastic IMO..

POWERFREAK 01-11-2013 06:07 AM

Really...should be easy enough to find those cars in better shape (without spending a ton of $$). In that condition it's a parts car at best. Maybe if it was a '69, i'd say go for it...but you are looking at a money pit right there.

United_727 01-11-2013 06:36 AM

I would pass,too. The under-carriage might concern me.

PalmerGA 01-11-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POWERFREAK (Post 6021556)
Really...should be easy enough to find those cars in better shape (without spending a ton of $$). In that condition it's a parts car at best. Maybe if it was a '69, i'd say go for it...but you are looking at a money pit right there.

I'm trying to think of ANY American-made car from the late 70s to late 80s that I would consider anything other than (basically) junk. I'm sure there are some but... none come to mind. That was a terrible period for American automobiles.

Don't do it!

MLL67RSSS 01-11-2013 06:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So you're calling my old Monte SS junk? ;)(Just like mine, don't have pic of mine here). Boy I LOVED that car and do miss it pretty badly at times.
Not to mention the Buick GN's and GNX's!