Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   4th Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   URGENT ADVICE NEEDED: Would you buy this camaro? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171967)

numbnutz00 09-17-2011 04:08 PM

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED: Would you buy this camaro?

hey guys im new to the forum world and had a couple quick question..PLEASE HELP!

i have less then a week to decide on a purchase and was wondering if im getting a good deal or not. its a 1996 v6 3.8 camaro t-top with roughly 131k mile. it has borla dual exhaust, bose, mp3, black on black(cloth seats) it is 2nd owner car and seems in pretty good shape(at least from the pics and what ive been told) but heres the thing.. the owner just turned 22 and has had it through high school and college for past 4-5 years. my question is.. would you travel 100 miles to buy this camaro for $3000? Is it a reasonable deal or am i being trigger happy.also would you let the teenager thing be a deal breaker for you even tho its female owner? what would you suggest?

kelly blue book is telling me the car is worth $3700 in good condition but edmunds is telling me like $1700
WTF why are these two numbers so far apart.
her asking price was 3700 and said 3000 is finalhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...s3/engarde.gif

im so confused what should i do?

she says the car is in great condition(wash once a week) reliable, and has never been into an accident or given here any problems.also did the carfax and its verified. only thing she mentioned was the engine was burning little oil and she puts little in between oil changes, is this normal?

whhat would you do if you had to make this decision?

please chime in and enlighten me. i have less then a week to act or deal is dead. any advise would be GREATLY appreciated
thanks in advance

signed,
the new guyhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...n_confused.gif
ps- please have some experience with 4gen high mileage camaros .
thanks again

Ant32894 09-17-2011 06:24 PM

If you know someone who is a mechanic and could possibly rebuild the engine for dirt cheap, yeah go for it.

If not, no. Mileage is high, tranny might be slipping or going, and engine burns oil. you can find another one for 3000. Mine was 3000, take a look at it (in my albums on my page)

mulehead7 09-17-2011 06:39 PM

Welcome to the forum. I would say it might be worth a look. It isn't the last one ever to be had so I would be a bit on the picky side. Car is 15 years old and lots of things are ready to break. It the body and interior are in great shape then I would check the mechanical. Burning oil isn't a good thing. Hold out and find a V8 4th gen if you can afford the insurance.

Bulldogwinters 09-17-2011 07:50 PM

My 94 had 30K miles more than that when I sold it half a year ago and it burned a little oil, but I never had a problem because of it.

The whole teenager/ girl driver should not be an issue. I'm 17 and I can honestly tell you I treat my car a hell of a lot better than most adults I know. However, not every teenager is quite as good to their car as me. I'd say take a look and hope for the best. Sounds like a good deal, I'd be optimistic if I were you.

numbnutz00 09-17-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant32894 (Post 3767197)
If you know someone who is a mechanic and could possibly rebuild the engine for dirt cheap, yeah go for it.

If not, no. Mileage is high, tranny might be slipping or going, and engine burns oil. you can find another one for 3000. Mine was 3000, take a look at it (in my albums on my page)

why would the engine need to be rebuilt? the car has been taken care of properly never raced no mods besides exhaust(if thats even considered a mod)oil change every 3k miles the tranny doesnt slip. as far as the oil thing i just read newer 5th gen burning a quart of oil between oil change is this accurate? if so,id say for 15 y/o car not bad shape. question is am i getting a good deal? BTW nice ride man how many miles?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulehead7 (Post 3767227)
Welcome to the forum. I would say it might be worth a look. It isn't the last one ever to be had so I would be a bit on the picky side. Car is 15 years old and lots of things are ready to break. It the body and interior are in great shape then I would check the mechanical. Burning oil isn't a good thing. Hold out and find a V8 4th gen if you can afford the insurance.

thanks for the warm welcome. im seiously concidering buying this thing i need a car by the end of the week and this one seems like the better ones ive looked at.

as far as the condition..

i was told the car is a tank, reliable and hasnt had any problem besides regular maintenance and something to do with an ignition problem which was resolved. so far they seem like pretty honest people.

the interior doesnt have any rips, stains, or burn marks. both owners were non smokers. the t-top doesnt leak.

although not garage kept the exterior also seems like its in pretty good shape for a 15 y/o car. washed and waxed once a week so they claim

cons:
1) the back bumper has a pretty decent scratch
2) tiny rust spot below driver side door near the back tire( not noticeable)
3) front bumper has a little spider cracking but u cant tell unless youre up close

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters (Post 3767374)
My 94 had 30K miles more than that when I sold it half a year ago and it burned a little oil, but I never had a problem because of it.

The whole teenager/ girl driver should not be an issue. I'm 17 and I can honestly tell you I treat my car a hell of a lot better than most adults I know. However, not every teenager is quite as good to their car as me. I'd say take a look and hope for the best. Sounds like a good deal, I'd be optimistic if I were you.

thank you sir, youve given me much needed hope lol how much did you sell your 94 for? also with this many miles what should i be looking for or put money aside for? cost, maintence, repairs ect..

Ps- thanks to all for your help so far, anybody else?

JaxJags 09-17-2011 09:39 PM

I got my 94 Z28 M6 for 2500. Has 155k miles, but runs great.

insidethreat07 09-17-2011 10:14 PM

:needpics:

HondaPowered 09-17-2011 10:42 PM

Just in case noone else tells you this.

Life lesson- Don't trust anything someone "says"

I could "say" i took care of my car, when in reality, I changed my oil every 20k miles. Figurative, but you understand.

Don't trust anyone selling you something. Take it to a mechanic and have it looked at.

numbnutz00 09-17-2011 10:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here they go..

numbnutz00 09-17-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaPowered (Post 3767858)
Just in case noone else tells you this.

Life lesson- Don't trust anything someone "says"

I could "say" i took care of my car, when in reality, I changed my oil every 20k miles. Figurative, but you understand.

Don't trust anyone selling you something. Take it to a mechanic and have it looked at.

most definitely thanks for your words of wisdom

Revo1 09-17-2011 11:17 PM

I sold my 96 z28 with similar mileage for $2100 locally... This sounds a bit high.

numbnutz00 09-17-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revo1 (Post 3767946)
I sold my 96 z28 with simmer mileage for $2100 locally... This sounds a bit high.

sound like the person who bought it got one heck of a deal.. too bad it wasnt me. :( $2100 for a 96 z28 with similar miles sounds too good of a deal..why so cheap?

fbodyrs96 09-17-2011 11:45 PM

price is right for that car in my area, a z would still be over $5k easy. an there a lots of 3.8's with over 250k miles on the stock engine no need for a rebuild just yet.

also those are not borla tips, if it really has borla it will be stamped across the muffler, take a look under the rear.

numbnutz00 09-17-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodyrs96 (Post 3768004)
price is right for that car in my area, a z would still be over $5k easy. an there a lots of 3.8's with over 250k miles on the stock engine no need for a rebuild just yet.

also those are not borla tips, if it really has borla it will be stamped across the muffler, take a look under the rear.

so from what youre saying, i should buy?:popcorn: