Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cali legal CAI (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174648)

FrostyNutz86 10-02-2011 09:32 PM

Cali legal CAI

I'm planning on getting a flowmaster American thunder exhaust soon and a CAI. However I just moved to California 8 months ago and I'm not sure which CAI will give me the best performance that is legal to have in this state. I was looking at K&N but the ones I saw said they weren't legal here. Any help?

axis 10-03-2011 01:56 AM

There is no CA legal CAI. Just buy what you want and swap out the OEM one when it's time for inspection. It only takes 30min to do the swap.

Sales @ CAI Inc 10-04-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 3833153)
There is no CA legal CAI. Just buy what you want and swap out the OEM one when it's time for inspection. It only takes 30min to do the swap.

+1, We took a good look into this and the cost to get CARB certified and it is outrageously expensive. We would sink a solid $100k into it to get just all of our Camaro intakes certified. You have to get certification for each specific product so we would have 10 certs just for the camaro. I can tell you that we sell to consumers and dealers in CA all the time without any issues.

matt@lsrperformance.com 10-04-2011 10:17 AM

Bill is right on this. CARB certification is outrageous! Best bet is just swap it out for inspection.

briancb1 10-04-2011 03:05 PM

K&N and Lingenfelter (at least for the GTO) are the only CA legal ones. I have a CAI inc intake on my GTO and its fine. Just keep your stock setup for smog or incase you get tagged from a cop.

Save your money on the flowmasters IMO. Non chambered muffs will never do justices over a good strait-through glass packed muffler like a magnaflow or equiv in terms of power.

flowmann 10-05-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyNutz86 (Post 3832476)
I'm planning on getting a flowmaster American thunder exhaust soon and a CAI. However I just moved to California 8 months ago and I'm not sure which CAI will give me the best performance that is legal to have in this state. I was looking at K&N but the ones I saw said they weren't legal here. Any help?

FrostyNutz86 – Welcome to Camaro5.com! Thanks for considering Flowmaster exhaust for your Camaro. Unlike CAI’s installing one of our Axle-Backs or Cat-Backs will work fine in California. :)

Juiced1 10-05-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyNutz86 (Post 3832476)

On the intake you'll have to swap it out for the stocker when you go for inspection. Luckily it doesn't take much more then 20 minutes. As far as the exhaust goes you can get a catback or axleback with no worries. We can hook you up with a nice combo pack. Give us a call. 224-635-8423

Wild Bill 10-05-2011 12:44 PM

From the K&N website:

http://www.knfilters.com/cold_air_intakes.htm

SC2150 10-05-2011 02:15 PM

I think breaking wind is illegal in CA, isn't it?

BAWLZ SS 10-05-2011 11:46 PM

LOL everything is illegal in Cali. But hey check this out. To the OP... I have the CAI Inc. Intake and i love it and yeah their is no Cali C.A.R.B. exempt intake. But u dont need a smog until 5-6 years i think unless otherwise so keep ur stock unit. Im not sure if Injen makes a legal one. But as to a catback or axle back any will be better than stock and they are all legal. I would look into Corsa, Borla, Magnaflow because they make a straight through muffler design. (Not Flowmaster) Trust me i have the Borla ATAK and if i had to do it again i will choose that same one again!!!! U get wh at u pay for. Good luck!!!!

Sales @ CAI Inc 10-06-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS (Post 3847913)
LOL everything is illegal in Cali. But hey check this out. To the OP... I have the CAI Inc. Intake and i love it and yeah their is no Cali C.A.R.B. exempt intake. But u dont need a smog until 5-6 years i think unless otherwise so keep ur stock unit. Im not sure if Injen makes a legal one. But as to a catback or axle back any will be better than stock and they are all legal. I would look into Corsa, Borla, Magnaflow because they make a straight through muffler design. (Not Flowmaster) Trust me i have the Borla ATAK and if i had to do it again i will choose that same one again!!!! U get wh at u pay for. Good luck!!!!

Thank you for choosing CAI Inc.! I am glad you are happy!! :thumbsup: