Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Squealing Brakes and Uneven Pad Wear (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295732)

nitto85 05-15-2013 06:20 PM

Squealing Brakes and Uneven Pad Wear

I've dealt with a bad squealing Front Passenger Brake for months, thinking it was the pads (Posi Quiet Ceramic) I upgraded pads (Hawk Ceramic) last week.
When the shop pulled the old pads (only a couple thousand miles on them) they found that the pad wear was very uneven, almost like just a corner was touching the rotor.

We swapped pads anyway, and the brake squeal is continuing, not nearly as bad, but it is still there.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm tempted to take it to a dealership, but I don't think the brakes are still under warranty, along with the fact that I have aftermarket pads and rotors.

Note, that both sets of pads are/were ceramic, and the brakes did not squeal with the original (factory) pads, and rotors until the pads were nearly gone.
Roughly 22,000 - 23,000 miles on the car.

JOHNSON SPEED SHOP 05-15-2013 07:07 PM

Proper pad lubrication is critical for even pad wear and to prevent noise/squeal.

nitto85 05-16-2013 10:07 AM

My dad works at the shop, and they're saying that they installed them and lubed them correctly.
I'm wondering if it could still be a lubrication issue, or possibly something wrong with the caliper? I would kinda doubt it is the caliper seeing how the car is still low miles and never been tracked.

But I remember that there was some squealing towards the end of the original pads and rotors, so I kinda find it hard to believe that it would be the new pads or rotors that is causing this.

JusticePete 05-16-2013 11:35 AM

Pictures?

LSX Camaro 05-16-2013 11:41 AM

I have had good luck with this product on all my brake jobs.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n.../brakelube.jpg

jeremywes 05-16-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSX Camaro (Post 6551157)
I have had good luck with this product on all my brake jobs.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n.../brakelube.jpg

Me too! Unless you track your car then it will need to be re-lubed

Team STILLEN 05-17-2013 09:41 AM

There could be couple different things.

The Hawk Ceramics are a thin pad and might not be sitting right in the caliper.

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks

JT

nitto85 05-18-2013 02:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple pics I took of the POSI pads (both are POSI and are from the front end brakes) to show the wear difference. The Hawks are still on the car, and again, the Hawks are squealing as well on the same passenger front brake.

I was not at the shop when they did the pad install so I'm going by what I was told, but I believe pad from the squealing brake is the bottom pad. If I had to guess, these pads had maybe 3k miles on them, or probably less.

nitto85 05-18-2013 02:46 PM

Also the squeal is at lower speeds like driving around a parking lot, slowing down to park or pulling up to a stop light/sign, with mild to light breaking. Also the squeal seems to come about after the brakes have warmed up from hard braking or driving the car for awhile.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-19-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mst504 (Post 6548495)
I've dealt with a bad squealing Front Passenger Brake for months, thinking it was the pads (Posi Quiet Ceramic) I upgraded pads (Hawk Ceramic) last week.
When the shop pulled the old pads (only a couple thousand miles on them) they found that the pad wear was very uneven, almost like just a corner was touching the rotor.

We swapped pads anyway, and the brake squeal is continuing, not nearly as bad, but it is still there.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm tempted to take it to a dealership, but I don't think the brakes are still under warranty, along with the fact that I have aftermarket pads and rotors.

Note, that both sets of pads are/were ceramic, and the brakes did not squeal with the original (factory) pads, and rotors until the pads were nearly gone.
Roughly 22,000 - 23,000 miles on the car.

Hello mst504,

I would like to get involved here and investigate your issue a bit further. Could you private message me your VIN and current mileage? We can also explore possibly visiting a dealer for diagnosis and service.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

nitto85 05-19-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 6563343)
Hello mst504,

I would like to get involved here and investigate your issue a bit further. Could you private message me your VIN and current mileage? We can also explore possibly visiting a dealer for diagnosis and service.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Yes sir!!, PM sent.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-21-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mst504 (Post 6563984)
Yes sir!!, PM sent.

mst504,

Yes, I received your information. Thank you.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

JusticePete 05-21-2013 02:45 PM

You are in good hands.

nitto85 05-23-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 6571071)
You are in good hands.

Nothing came back from my Vin number, I think I'm going to take it to another shop and let them take a look.

JusticePete 05-23-2013 12:14 PM

It is hard to diagnose a problem like this over the internet. Here are my best guesses to get this fixed.

1. Do a complete brake bleed using the GM TECH II or USB tool to cycle the ABS pump. This will have fresh fluid through the entire system and make certain there is no air in the calipers. Make sure both bleeders on the calipers are used. Do the calipers clamp and release evenly now based on pad wear?

2. Rebuild the front calipers.

Run this by our Dad and see what he thinks.

PfadtRacing 05-24-2013 10:50 AM

Agree with what was said above, and make sure nothing is hanging up....that pretty much covers anything