Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Allocation process (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11657)

StoutFiles 01-12-2009 10:42 PM

Allocation process

Alright, I'd love to know exactly how this works. For now, I'll state an example problem and how I think it'll work, and then people can correct me if need be.

Example Problem:

Four Dealers: A, B, C, D
A: 40 allotted; 35 SS, 5 LS/LT
B: 20 allotted; 10 SS, 10 LS/LT
C: 10 allotted; 2 SS, 8 LS/LT
B: 5 allotted; 4 SS, 1 LS/LT

Build Ratio : 50/50

First wave of cars get sent. Instead of every dealership getting an equal amount of cars, they would get a fraction of their allocation. So, let's say the first wave is 20% the allocation.

A gets 8 cars...4 SS, 4 LS/LT
B gets 4 cars...2 SS, 2 LS/LT
C gets 2 cars...1 SS, 1 LS/LT
D gets 1 car...1 SS

This is how I think it works, please correct me if I'm wrong. In this scenario, the amount of allocations a dealer has is just as important as your # is, being #3 at dealer A is much more beneficial than being #3 at dealer D. Also, there really are two lines for each dealership; a V8 line and a V6 line.

Tantalizer43 01-12-2009 10:45 PM

Good question Stout! Ive been wondering the same thing, as I am number 4 on an allotment of 5, all ordered as SS models. Really affects me...

UCF w00t 01-12-2009 10:50 PM

I think that's pretty much the jist of it. But this is way oversimplified. It's on a month to month basis for the consensus and then a week to week basis for what they actually put in. I'm still not sure that they'll be told "you get X v8s and Y v6s for this month/week". I think they might be able to choose whatever and then the plant will figure it out. But what do I know...

Also keep in mind that 1/3rd of dealers didn't even place any pre-orders. I think it's likely that they'll order more v6s simply because they would be able to get them quicker and mark them up more.

Rogue Leader 01-12-2009 10:55 PM

I agree with woot, I don't believe the dealers are being allotted specific you get 3 v8s and 2 v6s, i think its whatever the dealer wants up to a certain number. I'm sure the franchise laws aren't written that way, and that is what or GM reps here are telling us is guiding this.

I have been searching the net today to find out more info on these allocation rules in the franchise laws but I have come up empty. They DO exist from what I read, however, finding an explanation just isn't out there.

camarogreg@evs 01-12-2009 11:07 PM

We as dealers will not know if they are going to break it up V8/V6 for a month or so. We are getting ready to close out our January consensus and it'll be February consensus before Camaro appears. As for your examples, no dealer will have more V8's than V6's. All dealers will get a V6 first and all dealers will have one Camaro by late April/early May which is the V6.

No one at GM is going to say how the break out will work because they don't want us to know. We will have to wait at least another month.

StoutFiles 01-12-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

All dealers will get a V6 first and all dealers will have one Camaro by late April/early May which is the V6.
I ignored that in the example since it supposedly doesn't affect the allocations.

camarogreg@evs 01-12-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoutFiles (Post 245474)
I ignored that in the example since it supposedly doesn't affect the allocations.

It does affect the allocations. In the IDL the Marketing Director for Camaro stated that all dealers would get an unearned V6 first, then another V6 against their projected numbers. The example he gave was all dealers will receive at least two Camaros and one of those will be a V6.

UCF w00t 01-12-2009 11:26 PM

Ummm doesn't "unearned" mean not part of the allocations? If you're allocated 1 car, you're still going to get that first v6 in addition to your allocation....

camarogreg@evs 01-12-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 245501)
Ummm doesn't "unearned" mean not part of the allocations? If you're allocated 1 car, you're still going to get that first v6 in addition to your allocation....

All dealers will get an extra Camaro. It will be a V6. Now on to allocation. All dealers are forced to take ANOTHER V6 against their allocation. We can't even choose the color or options. It will come from one of four possible configurations.

UCF w00t 01-12-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarogreg@evs (Post 245510)
All dealers will get an extra Camaro. It will be a V6. Now on to allocation. All dealers are forced to take ANOTHER V6 against their allocation. We can't even choose the color or options. It will come from one of four possible configurations.

Then why did they say "all dealers are guaranteed two Camaros and one would be a V6"? Wouldn't they have said "all dealers are guaranteed two Camaros and BOTH will be a V6s" if that was the case?

camarogreg@evs 01-12-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 245514)
Then why did they say "all dealers are guaranteed two Camaros and one would be a V6"? Wouldn't they have said "all dealers are guaranteed two Camaros and BOTH will be a V6s" if that was the case?

This extra "Gimmie" Camaro is for a promotion that was to be called "Chevrolet Open House" and was to be April 1-May 15th. Now because of the Camaro delay who knows if or what it'll be called. Chevy wanted a Camaro in every dealer for this promotion. It has nothing to do with the two car minimum of which one will be a V6.

UCF w00t 01-12-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarogreg@evs (Post 245525)
This extra "Gimmie" Camaro is for a promotion that was to be called "Chevrolet Open House" and was to be April 1-May 15th. Now because of the Camaro delay who knows if or what it'll be called. Chevy wanted a Camaro in every dealer for this promotion. It has nothing to do with the two car minimum of which one will be a V6.

So now every dealer is getting 3 cars? What about the small dealers that have been told they will only get one Camaro for the first "production guidance" or whatever you want to call it? Everything I've read (including what you've posted) has made me believe that the mandatory v6 IS the car for the "Chevrolet Open House" and the 2nd car was the one from their allocation that could be whatever they choose.

StoutFiles 01-13-2009 12:00 AM

So if every dealership is getting two V6's, they can sell the second one since they can't sell the first? And the second V6 can't even be adjusted for a customer waiting in line for a V6?

OUR72GTO 01-13-2009 12:11 AM

You guys keep going round n round like mice on a wheel.

It is what it is and all the "figuring you do " is not going to change it.

All you can do is have a solid contact with you dealer.