Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Messed up my oil change in progress? Please help! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393253)

mbowen89 01-24-2015 02:15 PM

Messed up my oil change in progress? Please help!

So I'm following the guide on here to change my 2014 V6, and first off the drain plug is toward rear of car pointing straight down, not on side. Also, it's higher than the rest of the pan, does that make sense? So I had some wooden ramps I made about 6" tall. I only got about 3 quarts out, and that's with me adding a quart while draining to help flush it so to speak, as I read I could do. Since it stopped draining I put 5qts in just to see and let it run for few minutes. I already changed the filter.

First off, why would only 3 quarts come out?

Now after letting it sit for 10 min after letting it run a few min after putting the 5qt in, the dipstick.shows oil at least an inch above the top marks!

What in the world did I do and should I do now?

D3R3K 01-24-2015 02:43 PM

Is the angle of your ramps keeping all the oil from draining out of the pan? I let the oil and filter housing drain for 30 mins on a flat surface. If your oil level is too high it can damage your catyaltic converters.

mbowen89 01-24-2015 02:53 PM

The plug is at the back of the pan facing down and the area it's at on the pan is actually hire than about ninety percent of the pan so I thought I might have to jack it up even more or buy a big ramp. I even let it down flat again. And still didn't drain anything out

Dimitrim 01-24-2015 03:04 PM

No big deal every one here has done that once or twice. Just go back under and drain a couple of quarts off till dip reads somewhere in the middle.

What I like to do is next time you do an oil change, if it says in the owners manual, an oil and filter change 5 quarts oil, stop at three quarts, start it up for a few minutes, turn it off for 5 minutes check the dipstick. Then start adding. It is a lot easier to add than to subtract...

Good luck

mbowen89 01-24-2015 03:25 PM

So did I get it all out? I only got 3 qts and it needs six. I thought that's why its over filled now

Dimitrim 01-24-2015 03:32 PM

I would fill the drain pan about 2 quarts. Check then.

D3R3K 01-24-2015 03:50 PM

Was the engine cold when you started the oil change? Did you have the oil cap off and the dip stick pulled to aid in draining? Sounds like you didnt let it drain long enough.

mbowen89 01-24-2015 04:11 PM

Um, the fluid was slightly red, did I drain the transmission fluid... How the heck am I this stupid? It was the only pan I saw underneath I swear!

Dimitrim 01-24-2015 04:22 PM

Is it auto or manual trans? If its an auto, you'll need to tow it to the dealer for a service.

CFD 01-24-2015 04:30 PM

something is not right. Can you take a quick picture of the plug you removed so we don't have to speculate.

itsnotacrisis 01-24-2015 04:37 PM

I think you might have drained the wrong fluid...
on my '13 2LT, the oil drain plug is on the side of the oil pan, not the bottom. Oil pan is directly below the engine, not behind it.
To be sure, like CFD suggested, snap a picture of the plug you removed.

mbowen89 01-24-2015 04:37 PM

The plug was more under seats, not between front wheels. It's an Auto. If I did drain the transmission fluid, can I not replace it myself? I'm not home right now for pics. My 15mm socket did feel loose. I'm about 99% sure I drained 3 qts of tran fluid, then added 5 qrts of oil.

I have to take it to dealer?

CFD 01-24-2015 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbowen89 (Post 8190690)
Auto. If I did drain the transmission fluid, can I not replace it myself? I'm not home right now for pics. My 15mm socket did feel loose. I'm about 99% sure I drained 3 qts of tran fluid, then added 5 qrts of oil.

I have to take it to dealer?

You won't be able to add tranny fluid on your own, it's not like earlier cars with a filler tube.

CamaroTom 01-24-2015 04:42 PM

Wow at this point I would have it towed to the dealer.