Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   WHICH ARE THE TOP OF THE LINE TURBOS AND S/C ? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277228)

jesse454545 02-14-2013 08:03 PM

WHICH ARE THE TOP OF THE LINE TURBOS AND S/C ?

Okay I finally decided to put in some more power into my V6 but was just wondering which is the best to put in a S/C or a turbo set up and then which one would be the best one to pick. I have done my research and there's a lot of turbos and S/C out there and i just to want to spend all that money on one that's not going to last or out perform itself. Thanks for the help

Can't_C_Me 02-14-2013 09:17 PM

You have many options just depends what you want and what kind of power you are looking for. FYI, stay away from the STS kit. Many here been having issues with it. You have 2 SC options RX and IPF. And 2 turbo options HPS and RX. You did your research so do you want brute power or gradual power?

jesse454545 02-14-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me (Post 6161897)
You have many options just depends what you want and what kind of power you are looking for. FYI, stay away from the STS kit. Many here been having issues with it. You have 2 SC options RX and IPF. And 2 turbo options HPS and RX. You did your research so do you want brute power or gradual power?

I am more of an Electrical guy so not to sure what you mean with Brute power

lscamaro 02-14-2013 10:25 PM

Well the supercharger that both companies use is a centrifugal supercharger so that means that the power comes on as the RPMs climb. So you make more boost and power higher in the rpm range. Turbos will produce their boost as soon as they spool. So they produce a lot of their power lower in the RPM range and hold it all the way to redline. So it depends on what you like that will help you choose what you want.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 02-14-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse454545 (Post 6162065)
I am more of an Electrical guy so not to sure what you mean with Brute power

Down low. Torque. Builds like a beast from there. Roots-style blower (coming soon!), turbo set-up, both do this.

Centrifugal blower is sort of gradual and peaky. Hit 4500 rpm and it's game on.

John B.

Can't_C_Me 02-14-2013 10:49 PM

There you go Johnny and ls gave great examples. ^^^

Turbo systems are messy and require more maintenance than a SC to be honest. BUT to be even more honest hold out to see if a root style SC hits the streets soon. There is one in suppose development by RX. I would trade my TT's for a root system.

KaBoom1701 02-14-2013 11:00 PM

Whats a root system SC?

jesse454545 02-14-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 6162112)
Well the supercharger that both companies use is a centrifugal supercharger so that means that the power comes on as the RPMs climb. So you make more boost and power higher in the rpm range. Turbos will produce their boost as soon as they spool. So they produce a lot of their power lower in the RPM range and hold it all the way to redline. So it depends on what you like that will help you choose what you want.

So why dont just people go with turbos if it produces alot of power on the low end of the RPM and it holds it?

lscamaro 02-14-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 6162212)
Whats a root system SC?

A roots supercharger is the type of supercharger that is mounted on top of the engine. Like you see with the kenne bell, magnuson, and whipple superchargers for the v8. The benefit to a roots over a centri is that they make a lot of torque down low so you get that instant torque feeling you don't get with a centri. I'd honestly love a good roots system. But after seeing a lot of the problems members have had with their kits and my car being a DD, I'd rather go with the proven system. Although I will say that if someone comes up with a proven and trouble free roots system, that's where my money will be going

lscamaro 02-14-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse454545 (Post 6162254)
So why dont just people go with turbos if it produces alot of power on the low end of the RPM and it holds it?

Because turbos also require a lot more maintenance than a supercharger. And the tuning aspect just isn't completely ironed out yet for them.

scrming 02-15-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 6162291)
Because turbos also require a lot more maintenance than a supercharger. And the tuning aspect just isn't completely ironed out yet for them.

If the turbo is done correctly it doesn't require any extra maintenance.... I have two EcoBoost vehicles in my driveway, for a total of 3 turbos and I don't need any extra or special maintenance...

Actually if you go with certain supercharger models they have their own self contained oil system that has to be changed (extra maintenance).

blackTT600 02-15-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 6163008)
If the turbo is done correctly it doesn't require any extra maintenance.... I have two EcoBoost vehicles in my driveway, for a total of 3 turbos and I don't need any extra or special maintenance...

Actually if you go with certain supercharger models they have their own self contained oil system that has to be changed (extra maintenance).

This, I actually feel that my SC system may be more maintenance than a Turbo, but its ALL about the TUNE, and the turbo guys are still having problems there.

BaylorCamaro 02-15-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 6163008)

Yeah except those are factory turbos and I guarantee a ton more R&D dollars have been put into it than any of the V6 FI options. Now that's not to say that afternarket can't be as goid/reliable..

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.

SC2150 02-15-2013 08:24 AM

Here is a video thread on some of the RX cars:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259858