Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OnStar shuts down stolen Camaro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238289)

Arbgast 07-19-2012 03:25 PM

Not true. With vehicle shut down you only lose acceleration, you still have full steering and brakes.

Abstrak 07-19-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipinminn (Post 5314165)
WOW????????????? Like nobody EVER forgets? Or makes a MISTAKE!

Sure people make mistakes but you have a 1 month old 25-30k+ car. You dont forget to take the keys out of a brand new car I dont care who you are. That vehicle was still in the permagrin infancy stage. He was just a a dumb ass lol. Thief: Hey nice Camaro , Idiot: "Thanks" sits and watches as random guy Opens his door and drives off in his car . Now if he left the door open and the keys in the ignition thats even more idiotic lol.

joeybsyc 07-19-2012 03:33 PM

Wow tough crowd. No one "deserves" to have their car stolen.

RaiderSS 07-19-2012 03:37 PM

The Blaze members are some of the most racist and ignorant MFs I have ever read from.
Am I wrong if I hate racist?

SleepWarz 07-19-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPFREEKSCOTTY (Post 5313159)
I like the poll at the end where it asks if you like onstar "Because you'll get your car back"

or

dislike it "Because they could "accidentally" shut down your car when you didn't want them to."

Really?? Whoever thought of this poll is obviously wearing a tin foil hat.. and so is all the people that voted that choice.

Think some errant employee is randomly shutting down cars? or do they think it's some sort of marketing scam (renew your subscription, or we'll randomly shut your car down!"?

Computer systems are easy as hell to hack. I bet something already exists that can remotely shut down these devices with a mimicked signal from a laptop.

PQ 07-19-2012 04:02 PM

The thieve was wearing a hoody.

Just sayin'

Blau camaro 07-19-2012 04:15 PM

Memo to OP, ALWAYS remove the key from Camaro or any other car when leaving car even if just fueling up.

GEEKFREEKSCOTTY 07-19-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepWarz (Post 5314667)
Computer systems are easy as hell to hack. I bet something already exists that can remotely shut down these devices with a mimicked signal from a laptop.

Depends on the encryption level of the signal, and a host of other factors.

Is it possible to hack? I'm sure it is. Just about anything is possible. But if it was as easy as the "tin-hatters" might lead you to believe, there'd be a host of lawsuits and news reports by now. OnStar has had this feature on lots of GM cars for quite a while now.

Remember that there is a huge difference to what is Possible to do, and what is Probable to do.

LS1hawk 07-19-2012 04:27 PM

I can't believe some of these responses. The name calling about leaving keys in a car. Why can't someone leave THEIR keys in THEIR car without someone stealing it? It's not the owner's fault because some scumbag doesn't understand and follow life's simple rules.

SixCyl 07-19-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderSS (Post 5314604)
The Blaze members are some of the most racist and ignorant MFs I have ever read from.
Am I wrong if I hate racist?

No, but regardless, everyone deserves to be shown respect for the simple fact that they are human.

Ringo64 07-19-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1hawk (Post 5314880)
I can't believe some of these responses. The name calling about leaving keys in a car. Why can't someone leave THEIR keys in THEIR car without someone stealing it? It's not the owner's fault because some scumbag doesn't understand and follow life's simple rules.

Hate to burst your perfect world bubble but its the world we live in. Sadly if you give someone an inch, they'll want a mile and this guy took it for longer than that in that guy's Camaro.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I NEVER EVER leave either of my cars running even if I go in somewhere for a second even in my neighborhood

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPFREEKSCOTTY (Post 5314814)
Depends on the encryption level of the signal, and a host of other factors.

Is it possible to hack? I'm sure it is. Just about anything is possible. But if it was as easy as the "tin-hatters" might lead you to believe, there'd be a host of lawsuits and news reports by now. OnStar has had this feature on lots of GM cars for quite a while now.

Remember that there is a huge difference to what is Possible to do, and what is Probable to do.

This for sure, judging by a lot of the necessary feed processes going on just to do a simple call to OnStar from your car. I'm sure there is a mess of encryption just to bring up the option to disable your car's acceleration or even unlock it. For those who use the app to unlock your doors, just look at the time delay. That's not just network delay there is a lot going on between your phone, the server(s) and the computer in your car.

GEEKFREEKSCOTTY 07-19-2012 06:12 PM

Driver's stupidity for leaving the keys in the car aside...

I actually feel a lot more comfortable about having OnStar than I would if I simply had an alarm or LoJack even.

If my car was stolen, my first call would be to OnStar directly. They will then alert the authorities on your behalf, give them all necessary information, and coordinate the recovery.

weenie25banini 07-19-2012 06:14 PM

Man that guy was stupid!! but I know i would feel safe knowing that onstar will find my car and they will catch the person.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 07-19-2012 06:19 PM

"Locks keep the honest ones out."

- My stepdad.

John B.

tonyko1 07-19-2012 06:31 PM

I leave the car running all the time when I am running in and out of the store for a minute. However, I lock the car and have a spare set of keys to use. Camaro defaults so that when running, driver's side door will not lock so you have to manually lock it outside of the car, which is fine.

Personally, I hate OnStar, want nothing to do with it. I had to sign a statement sheet at the dealership (Medved, Castle Rock, CO) stating I wouldn't "sell" the OnStar chip...which makes me wonder how much it is worth. So I am going to rip it out and perhaps give it away for a small donation to my favorite charity the MYOB Club. The day I need some nitwit sitting in a cubicle looking over my shoulder is the day I quit driving.

Thank you.

Gzilla 07-19-2012 07:08 PM

That's what's up!!!

Neto1978 07-19-2012 07:14 PM

I wish i had my 10mm glock when this mother f. Was caught. I hate criminals! We struggle for our hard earned money and a son of gun like that steals our vehicles... No mercy!

L99CAMA2011 07-19-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo64 (Post 5313320)
So he left his Camaro running and someone stole it, you don't say? :facepalm:

The website is called "The Blaze", I rest my case :laugh:

Of all cars on of the hottest American Muscle cars ever. I always lock and take my key at the pump. Even today some hot chicks were checking my car out :D:D:D. I stepped on the pedal a little harder than needed in neutral just to give them a dose of the exhaust rumble as I drove by when I was done.

L99CAMA2011 07-19-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyko1 (Post 5315480)
I leave the car running all the time when I am running in and out of the store for a minute. However, I lock the car and have a spare set of keys to use. Camaro defaults so that when running, driver's side door will not lock so you have to manually lock it outside of the car, which is fine.

Personally, I hate OnStar, want nothing to do with it. I had to sign a statement sheet at the dealership (Medved, Castle Rock, CO) stating I wouldn't "sell" the OnStar chip...which makes me wonder how much it is worth. So I am going to rip it out and perhaps give it away for a small donation to my favorite charity the MYOB Club. The day I need some nitwit sitting in a cubicle looking over my shoulder is the day I quit driving.

Thank you.

Take it someone doesn't like BIG BROTHER.

LS1hawk 07-19-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo64 (Post 5315156)
Hate to burst your perfect world bubble but its the world we live in. Sadly if you give someone an inch, they'll want a mile and this guy took it for longer than that in that guy's Camaro.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I NEVER EVER leave either of my cars running even if I go in somewhere for a second even in my neighborhood

This for sure, judging by a lot of the necessary feed processes going on just to do a simple call to OnStar from your car. I'm sure there is a mess of encryption just to bring up the option to disable your car's acceleration or even unlock it. For those who use the app to unlock your doors, just look at the time delay. That's not just network delay there is a lot going on between your phone, the server(s) and the computer in your car.

Not bursting my bubble. Never leave my keys in the car. Just surprised at some of the comments towards a fellow Camaro owner.

Ringo64 07-19-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1hawk (Post 5315859)
Not bursting my bubble. Never leave my keys in the car. Just surprised at some of the comments towards a fellow Camaro owner.

Tough love? :D

I don't know if others feel this but there are a lot of people lacking common sense these days and sometimes its experiences like this will make them learn and if not there's the salt in the wounds if they ever want to look online.

Iwantone2 07-19-2012 08:09 PM

What if the Camaro driver was actually going to shoot up the gas station and rob all the money and merchandise? If you think about it, the Camaro thief may have thwarted a massacre from occuring...:iono:

Dr. Nat 07-19-2012 08:44 PM

They still use on Star to track all vehicles. I own a 07 Equoinox with 100,000 miles on it and GM sent me a notice that I need a 100,000 mile service on it. How do they know I do all my own srevice? Also if you have State Farm Insurance the are in Bed with On Star! I get notices on my 04 Silverado and I am sure I will get them on my ZL1 with 4000 miles on it.

truth411 07-19-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 5314742)
The thieve was wearing a hoody.

Just sayin'

:facepalm: And even more thieves wear blue jeans similar to the one your wearing in your sig, should that imply something aswell?? :rolleyes: :)