Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Slave cylinder issues (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293419)

10 2SS/RS 6M 05-04-2013 06:23 PM

Slave cylinder issues

Ok at 8k miles my slave cylinder failed, now at 32k it failed again (fluid leaking from slave cylinder, pedal to floor) I guess the seals failed again? Had the dealer do it last time (warranty) but I'm going a different rout this time.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Also is RAM the only one who makes aftermarket slave cylinders for the 5th gen?
I know LPE has a ZR1 slave but don't think it will work with a single disc clutch or will it?
While I have the trans out I'll be replacing the clutch and flywheel with a Spec stage 2 kit. Has anyone have any other suggestions without spending over $1500.00 for the parts? Just put over $2k into it last week!
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

10 2SS/RS 6M 05-05-2013 05:55 PM

Problem solved.
Loose bleeder on slave cylinder!
It wasn't like the last time it failed because the throw-out bearing seized on the first one, then the slave cylinder went soon after, didn't hear any noises so it had me thinking, so I jacked it up an checked it before I got it on the lift at work and the bleeder for the slave cylinder was loose, so I got my 1/4'' ratchet, 7mm socket, bled it and tightened it up, works great now, for now. Easy fix, that was a break!
Now I can save up for a dual disc clutch!
If anyone else have this problem make sure you check the slave cylinder bleeder valve first!

Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch 05-06-2013 02:47 PM

Glad that's all it was man.

10 2SS/RS 6M 05-06-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve@SNLPerformance (Post 6511548)
Glad that's all it was man.

Yea me too, I want to put a dual disc clutch in it but didn't have the money yet, an I wasn't going to pull the trans without replacing the clutch, flywheel, etc.. That was a easy fix, an I don't get to many of them!

carrs_crew 05-26-2013 12:19 PM

do you have a pic, this problem seems to be the issue or something with the slave. Pedal is to the floor and no fluid in my seperated resevoir.

thanks
Chad

10 2SS/RS 6M 05-27-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrs_crew (Post 6591085)
do you have a pic, this problem seems to be the issue or something with the slave. Pedal is to the floor and no fluid in my seperated resevoir.

thanks
Chad

I have no pics sorry, but the slave cylinder is in the bell housing, you have to remove the trans to get to it, you can only see a small portion of it through the vent openings, luckily I didn't have to remove trans because it was only a loose bleeder screw for the slave that you can only get to from the top of the trans bell housing area driver side (yes it can be tricky to get to). I remember when the 1st one went the dealer did it since it only had between 7-12K on it, an it looked like the throw out bearing seized then damaged the slave (melted the front part of the slave cylinder), the seals went I guess from the heat of the bearing being seized, I don't really remember the whole deal it was almost 3 years a go.
Yes there is a problem with the clutch pedal sticking when at hi engine speeds, they say it has something to do with the was the spring design is on the stock pressure plate, I also found out that LPE has a fix for this issue, I think it's some sort of spring that goes on the clutch pedal assy? I'm definitely looking in to get one if these. I'll post the part # when I find it again, since I'll be ordering one real soon.

mikepage0007 05-28-2013 07:11 AM

mine went out and was destroyed when i took it out, went to a auto, since the m6 is difficult in high hp applications..imo

carrs_crew 05-28-2013 10:25 AM

Getting towed to dealer from my house today. I will keep you posted. Clutch fluid system will not keep fluid in reservoir. Dealer says it is under the powertrain warranty as my 3 years is up this past April,:( I hope this is not an issue that follows down through the powertrain line!

carrs_crew 05-28-2013 05:44 PM

Update
It is the slave, part is ordered should be in tomorrow. On a side note, anyone have an issue with their dealer wanting to charge to remove aftermarket exhaust, stated if it were the stock exhaust their would be NO charge. They are not removing the shorties, maybe the cats back. My exhaust has the jab HFCs connected to stock pipe then a borla axle back.

I will post what the outcome is. I have no reason to question them from prior experiences, very satisfied on earlier warranty claims. It does seem odd especially since I installed everything without a lift, which they have to do the work.

10 2SS/RS 6M 05-29-2013 01:36 PM

I found the LPE clutch return spring on LPE's website, here is the part # L360091410.
I'm going to order one from the forum from LPE, but if you want to check it out (I'm sure it's already probably posted somewhere in the forum) here's the LPE website link if you want to see what it looks like. click link below or go to there website or do a search on it in the forum.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...E#.UaZMpHHD_IU

10 2SS/RS 6M 05-29-2013 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a pic of the clutch return spring from LPE

Attachment 516110

carrs_crew 05-29-2013 05:10 PM

Update
Dealer needs manifold gasket after exhaust removal. They also let me know the slave seals were melted! They are replacing the slave cylinder, but due to needing gaskets, car will be finished tomorrow. Should be under 200 for the exhaust drop and gaskets, said they were melted, I have JBA shorties. Keep you posted.
Might look aftermarket if something happens again.

10 2SS/RS 6M 05-30-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrs_crew (Post 6604131)
Update
Dealer needs manifold gasket after exhaust removal. They also let me know the slave seals were melted! They are replacing the slave cylinder, but due to needing gaskets, car will be finished tomorrow. Should be under 200 for the exhaust drop and gaskets, said they were melted, I have JBA shorties. Keep you posted.
Might look aftermarket if something happens again.

I had the same problem at only 7-12K miles (as posted above) when my slave cylinder went, melted from a seized throw-out bearing, they replaced everything including the flywheel. No charge for removing the aftermarket exhaust to remove trans, but everything was new 3 years a go.

10 2SS/RS 6M 05-30-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepage0007 (Post 6597399)
mine went out and was destroyed when i took it out, went to a auto, since the m6 is difficult in high hp applications..imo

The stock clutch definitely is at hi R's, never had any issues besides hearing the input an output shafts breaking, but can be strengthened with better steel and the rear output shaft bearing, I hear RPM does a really good job at this.....IMO, I'd rather have a auto with a lot of boost anyway! it's easier on the rest of the drivetrain, and with a perfect converter......That's the way I always went and seems to be the most consistent at the track.