Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How to take off the valve/cam covers? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285336)

simt3k 03-27-2013 10:48 AM

How to take off the valve/cam covers?

Does anyone have pointers or a guide in order to take this part off? I am replacing the drivers side and input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am still having oil bleed all over my motor and its because the drivers side valve/cam cover is broken and cracked where the neck connects to the oil cap.

Lil' Nasty 03-27-2013 10:54 AM

KJ can chime in, he did a write up.

simt3k 03-27-2013 11:04 AM

Really does anyone have a link to this write up?

kjkjr27 03-27-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simt3k (Post 6341528)
Does anyone have pointers or a guide in order to take this part off? I am replacing the drivers side and input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am still having oil bleed all over my motor and its because the drivers side valve/cam cover is broken and cracked where the neck connects to the oil cap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty (Post 6341568)
KJ can chime in, he did a write up.

I took mine off to have them painted. The driver side is harder than the passenger side because there are 4 bolts in the back that are really hard to reach.

(I'm gonna try to do this by memory so bare with me)

First take off you intake manifold.

Next there are some black clips that need to be undone (these help hold all the wires) There is one on the right side if looking from the front and another right in front of the valve cover. To undue them they are clipped from the bottom and they just pop off.

After you get those off unplug the fuel injectors and use a 10mm wrench to untighten the bolts holding them in and take them out.

Then undue the bolts that hold the valve cover on. Untighten them as much as you can and then you have to pull up on them to take them off (there is a rubber thing around the attached washers that hold them in)

*I think that is everything? If you run into any problems let me know and I'll try to help

simt3k 03-27-2013 02:36 PM

Thanks I am just hoping I don't break anything in the process.

kjkjr27 03-27-2013 02:52 PM

O one more thing. Once you have all the bolts off you may need to stick a flat head inbetween where it connects to the rest of the engine to break the vacuum that is caused when the engine is running. If you see a rubber thing kinda off don't panic it is just the rubber seal that can easily be placed back into the valve cover.

simt3k 03-27-2013 03:22 PM

sh** now I am uncertain of myself... lol

kjkjr27 03-27-2013 04:53 PM

If I can do it, you can too

PieNsky 03-27-2013 06:56 PM

It will be helpful it you use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a universal joint to get those back ones. Also, a short extension.