Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Rx's or Moroso's catchcans ?! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218757)

Corvette-camaro 04-24-2012 05:16 AM

Rx's or Moroso's catchcans ?!

I know that most of you guys has RX catchcans, am looking for one and found this "Moroso catchcan": http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...-can-85487.htm
Did anyone tried it ?!

L99CAMA2011 04-24-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corvette-camaro (Post 4856042)
I know that most of you guys has RX catchcans, am looking for one and found this "Moroso catchcan": http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...-can-85487.htm
Did anyone tried it ?!

I actually had both and I think I like the Moroso better. Most on here would disagree though my car felt like it lost a bit of compression when I installed the RX can, so I sold it. The Moroso on my L99 had no issue at all.

Corvette-camaro 04-24-2012 08:29 AM

That exactly what i want to hear, thanks

SC2150 04-24-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 (Post 4856143)
I actually had both and I think I like the Moroso better. Most on here would disagree though my car felt like it lost a bit of compression when I installed the RX can, so I sold it. The Moroso on my L99 had no issue at all.

Compression has no relation to anything in the crankcase evacuation system, compression is a function of the piston, rings, and cylinder bore surface....a catchcan has nothing whatsoever to do with compression and couldn't........so thats a joke.

The Moroso is an awesome looking high quality built can, but allows as much as 20% oil pull through in testing so if you dont care about trapping all the oil that causes the issues then go with it, the RX can is the most efficient functioning on the market period. That is a challenge that has been out for the world the past 7 years and no can has matched it yet.

The RX can also has integrated flow controlling checkvalve.

Also, the RX can is over twice the internal capacity so the flow can slow enough to prevent oill "pull-through".

With over 10,000 in use the RX can is one of the highest reccomended on the market.

Below are pictures of the Moroso style can. You can see it has no designated inlet or outlet and has media tight against both fittings so the oil saturated media allows oil to be sucked right through.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...lerGen5014.jpg

It will catch oil, as any can (even a empty beer can with 2 fittings in) but the idea of a properly functioning catchcan is to trap ALL the oil....not just some.

You can test any can very easily by installing a clear glass inline fuel filter between the can and the intake manifold. It only takes a few minutes to install, only costs $10, and it will show you what gets pulled past any can instead of blindly trusting biased claims (test ours and see). Within a few hundred miles you will see it saturated in tests on the moroso can.

Now below are pictures of the RX cans internal design. It has app 7" from the inlet to the outlet. The perforated dispersion tube running down the center first disperses the oil laden vapors into a meida condensing chamber separate fromt the other chambers. The vapors are cooled and the media helps coalesce the oil to droplets that are then pulled into the conatinment chamber. The vapors then have to travel back up along the outer walls further cooling and condensing any oil that may have been missed and further forced around the disc baffel into the outlet chamber where the flow controlling oneway checkvalve meters the flow so it is slow enough to prevent any of the trapped oil from pulling through.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...cutaway001.jpg
above is a length ways cutaway and below the components before assembly:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...igFIcan001.jpg

Now lets simplify this even more.....when a flow of any gas or liguid travels through a large chamber, that flow slows while in the chamber and with a catchcan, any liquid can be drawn through if that flow is traveling too fast (think the dentist suction tube that pulls the water rinse from your mouth, or a straw with liquid in it). So the smaller a chamber, the faster the velocity and that pulls liquid through with it. The larger the chamber the more the flow slows while traveling through the chamber so droplets fall out of supension.

Now, take a wash cloth wet with water. Put a straw against it and suck....you will pull that water out the straw as it is trapped in the washcloth right on the straw end. Now move that straw awy even 1" and you will pull NO water when you suck on it. The same principal applies here. Oil is a liquid once it is condensed and if that saturated media is place against the outlet....it pulls oil right out along with the flow defeating the much of the purpose of a oil separating can. Now remove the filter medai from the side you are going to use as an outlet, and you will find the moroso can works much better letting far less oil pull through.

Now look below at some of the other cans on the market and even though the design is simple in some, they work far better as the outlets are distanced from the saturated oil soaked media:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ebaycan001.jpg
The Mike Norris, a proven excelent functioning can is on the left. It has the vapors enter the top of the can, travel through a small but separate chamber that has filter media in it, and that traps and coalesces the oil into droplets that then fall to the bottom to collect to be drained later. The outlet though close to the filter chamber, is still separated and very little oil is drawn out or "pulled through". You can clearly see why the Mike Norris can works so well.

To the right of the Norris can is a cheap good looking "Ebay" type can. Look at the inside of it....no chambers, no media, no baffels. Much of the fumes just do a quick U trun and right out....it, as any can, will still catch oil so when you go to drain it you see oil and think...it works! Yes, and container....even a little plastic air compressor separator will catch oil.....but it is what is pulled through that is of concern and most cans do NOT function efficiently due to the rush to put a product on the market.

Now, look at the top can by AMW (very similar to the Elite in design) and it has a large, very effective chamber with media in it. The vapors enter the top and go through a large chamber to cool and trap the oil to droplets that then fall to the bottom for draining later, and the outlet is 2" plus up the side of the main body. This allows even less oil pull through due to the distance and both brands are amoung the best functioning on the market.

There are several others that perform extremely well also so there is no reason if your goal is to trap and stop all, or nearly all of the oil ingestion to use a can that only does part of the job. This is all easy to understand, the pictures show the designs in detail, and you can test any can or the principals described by yourself if you truely want to understand how and why certain cans work well and the majority work very poorly.

Anyone can get caught up in hype and politics and marketing.....but there are reasons some products perform extremely well (FAST composite intake manifold VS BBK aluminum that heat soaks) and other that look great do not.

This is with any product.......all it takes is time to actually examine and learn rather than trust anyones basic claims (myself included).

The world of products is full of unreasonable claims (turbonator) and snake oil products....but it is also full of excellent proven products. Just because a big name is on something does NOT mean you should blindly trust it is the best....allthough Most products with the Moroso brand are some of the best on the market and we use several above any other.....this is one where it can be improved and work much better than it comes.

I'm not asking anyone to buy my product over another (or I certainly would not go to the detail I have here to show other direct competitors that work very well and why), just to understand the principlas behind why a product does or does not work well and then decide.

A perfect example is L99cama here.....he made a crazy assumption that is impossible, and he is happy to have went with a product that lets a good amount of oil still into his intake air charge so he is not concerned with function....just hype and appearance which is fine...its a free world. But if you want to actually understand it all then research and push aside the marketing and hype......understand why one product works better than another no matter what that product is or claims to do.

I dont know of a single person anywhere on any of the forums that has done the amount of research, testing, and design than I have on this much misunderstood system that seems to cause so much controversy as so few actually care to look into and understand why and how these do or do not work well. And yes, ANY can is better than no can no matter how little it may actaually trap....as you do not want oil ingestion into the intake air charge.

:thumbsup:

Corvette-camaro 04-24-2012 10:24 AM

Very nice. Thanks bro.
Am convenced now :thumbup:

Nessal 04-24-2012 10:26 AM

Moroso looks better but I can't see it working well to even a fraction of the RX or Mike Norris can. Just look at the design of the Moroso can. Common sense will tell you that there is going to be pull through.

SC2150 04-24-2012 11:07 AM

Moroso is one of the nicest looking on the market I totally agree. Very percise machining also and the drain is a high priced 1/4 turn ball valve like we use on the Monster can, so it is all quality....just the design can be improved to make it function much better. I have shared this in detail w/moroso but they have no intention of changing it and did not appreaciate my fingings and input on how to make it function much better......just removing the filter media from the side you use as the outlet greatly reduces the pull-through.

Out4it 04-24-2012 11:13 AM

I have the RX and it had various amounts of oil in it at EVERY oil change. I changed mine at 150,300,600,1500, 3000 and 10,000. So I'd say it works. As for beauty,I think the paint job on mine was fantastic,it was painted RJT. Not as pretty as Moroso,but no big deal. I'd rather funtion over beauty anyday.

calbert1999 05-12-2012 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Moroso can, work great and the quality is amazing. If you have a skilled mechanic he'll get it to work just right.

This is what I found in mine the 2nd. time I drained it after 2.5k/kms.

Can't speak for the RX, I'm sure it's a decent product but for me Moroso all the way.

EZStreet 04-04-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 4857251)
Moroso is one of the nicest looking on the market I totally agree. Very percise machining also and the drain is a high priced 1/4 turn ball valve like we use on the Monster can, so it is all quality....just the design can be improved to make it function much better. I have shared this in detail w/moroso but they have no intention of changing it and did not appreaciate my fingings and input on how to make it function much better......just removing the filter media from the side you use as the outlet greatly reduces the pull-through.

Hi,
My son bought me the Moroso air/oil separator for my new 2013 Ram Hemi
Quad Cab. Then I happened upon some of your posts about the RX products which seem very impressive and no doubt highly effective. From the design I can see why it works so well. I can't see buying another one when I still have the Moroso in the box, brand new and it was an internet purchase as well. Can you give me a guesstimate on how much of a difference removing the filter media from the output or return side of the Moroso air/oil separator #85479 as it looks like now I'm going to have to use it in spite of what I've learned from your posts. Thanks for your help.

EZ

SC2150 04-04-2013 09:21 AM

If you remove the media from the side you use as the outlet, then it will work app 10-20% more effectively by not holding that oil satuarted media right at the outlet so it is all suck right out (like a wet washcloth will if you suck on it).

The other issue you cant correct is the internal volumne is so small that the speed of the flow through cannot slow enough to allow the droplets that are dripping from the inlet chamber to not be pulled along (like a straw and spilt soda on a table if you suck on it).

So, it will catch oil (even a beer can does catch oil, so you cant judge by "it catches oil".

So try that, and just for the heck of it install a clear glass inline fuel filter between the outlet and the intake manifold and post pictures.

At least your doing something to reduce the oil ingestion.!

The 2010 Sin 04-04-2013 11:06 AM

Tracy, I've never had my RX catch can with anything in it. Its all plumbed correctly and I have the breather also. (not sure if you remember the diagrams I built asking you about the lines and you said they were correct) but this is my 3rd or 4th oil change with it and i've captured zero oil. My car is aftermarket rotating assembly and large cam etc. you would think i would get more than the average person.

your thoughts?

EZStreet 04-04-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 6380689)
If you remove the media from the side you use as the outlet, then it will work app 10-20% more effectively by not holding that oil saturated media right at the outlet so it is all suck right out (like a wet washcloth will if you suck on it).

The other issue you cant correct is the internal volumne is so small that the speed of the flow through cannot slow enough to allow the droplets that are dripping from the inlet chamber to not be pulled along (like a straw and spilt soda on a table if you suck on it).

So, it will catch oil (even a beer can does catch oil, so you cant judge by "it catches oil".

So try that, and just for the heck of it install a clear glass inline fuel filter between the outlet and the intake manifold and post pictures.

At least your doing something to reduce the oil ingestion.!

Hi Tracy,

Thank you for the input. Looks like I might end up purchasing the RX anyway. It would drive me crazy knowing the system I was using really
wasn't doing the job I want from it.

Tell me something, what effect would putting an aluminum separation wall between the input and exhaust sides of the catch can cylinder. For the sake of argument 1/8" thk. and drilled it with say 1/8"-1/4" holes all through it....except for the bottom edge.....where it would meet the bottom of the cylinder...or cut it short so it leaves a little bridge or bypass connecting the two sides. Maybe it would be better to keep the sides separated and run it right to the bottom?

That, in effect would keep the liquid oil on one side and the gaseous by products having a slowed down pathway to the throttle body on the exhaust side for disposal. Would the perforated wall between the two chambers work in your opinion......

Thanks Tracy

EZ

EZStreet 04-04-2013 12:13 PM

Tracy,

Maybe leave the top third of the separation wall solid, so the wet air is kept as far from the exhaust exit hole as possible?

EZ