Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   My new camaro smells like a burning clutch. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223873)

2010abmss 05-14-2012 09:31 PM

My new camaro smells like a burning clutch.

I bought a new ss vert in the mornings when I start it and leave it has a strong clutch burning smell is this normal for a new car? The car is a manual

Dan2510 05-14-2012 11:03 PM

I have a new camaro ss as well and get that smell. I'm not sure if its just the smell of a new engine breaking in or what. I get wiffs of it during take off usually and hard acceleration, I have a manual.

djm96z28 05-15-2012 07:15 AM

Mine did that when it was new. The smell went away after 200-300 miles.

Tyler360 05-15-2012 07:17 AM

Mine also did that when it was new. I read somewhere that a new clutch will do that but I can't remember where

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-15-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010abmss (Post 4962618)
I bought a new ss vert in the mornings when I start it and leave it has a strong clutch burning smell is this normal for a new car? The car is a manual

Congrats on your new Camaro! If you feel like you are experiencing an issue with your Camaro the best thing to do is to contact your local dealership. Let us know your feedback!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

jmaynard 05-15-2012 09:21 AM

Change the hoses. All of them. What you are smelling is NOT the clutch but a defect on the material used to manufacture the hoses which reacts to the radiator fluid. It will only get worse to the poin that you will never really like your car like you though you did. My wife still hates my car because of the smell we had for the first 3 months. There is a TSB on this. You will be without the car for at least a day while they flush (3 times) the system. But afterwards the smell goes away. Do it now before you start hating the car.

Last note: Have the dealer order all the hoses before you take it in/leave it. There is one that they will not stock and it takes at least a day to get. No sense in driving a rental while they wait for parts.

PAUL SS 05-15-2012 09:35 AM

Did your 2010 abm stink when it was new? Typical of a new car for the first couple hundred miles or so.

ffrcobra_65 05-15-2012 11:16 AM

bad hoses. :sm0::facepalm::sm0:

chilax everyone. What you are very likely smelling is the burning smell coming from all the part labels wrapped around the exhaust pipes. Go ahead, look under the car, you will see them on the pipes. The smell will go away after a few hundred miles.

christianmotox 05-15-2012 11:25 AM

Oh the smell of a brand new car... i miss it.

thahemp 05-15-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 (Post 4965154)
bad hoses. :sm0::facepalm::sm0:

chilax everyone. What you are very likely smelling is the burning smell coming from all the part labels wrapped around the exhaust pipes. Go ahead, look under the car, you will see them on the pipes. The smell will go away after a few hundred miles.

Actually, mine still smells like that after i run it hard. I'm over 3000 miles. My wife's infinity has the same smell after i run it hard. It does smell like the hoses to me. Even has a nasty radiator smell to it...

Thanks for the tip jmaynard... Although it would take more than a bad smell to make me hate this car :)

2010abmss 05-15-2012 04:25 PM

I appreciate the feedback I'll check the hose tsb

kfm237 05-15-2012 06:00 PM

I've been going through the hoses/dexcool thing for five months.. Dealer has attempted to fix it 3-times! But it keeps coming back.. I'll find out next week what they are going to do? Most likely replace it with a new one or buy it back..

If it's the coolant/hoses problem, the engine compartment will have a foul stink, especially when it's hot.. You will also get a weird smell from the vents when at idle. The smell will continually get stronger to the point where it will stink up the garage if it's parked in one..

thahemp 05-15-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfm237 (Post 4967564)
I've been going through the hoses/dexcool thing for five months.. Dealer has attempted to fix it 3-times! But it keeps coming back.. I'll find out next week what they are going to do? Most likely replace it with a new one or buy it back..

If it's the coolant/hoses problem, the engine compartment will have a foul stink, especially when it's hot.. You will also get a weird smell from the vents when at idle. The smell will continually get stronger to the point where it will stink up the garage if it's parked in one..

Yep. That smells about right :)

It's not a huge deal... It's just that a fine looking automobile shouldn't smell like a 1960's school radiator.

sloSS 05-16-2012 07:40 AM

My clutch smells bad, too. Just backing out of the garage with engine rpm at 1,000 or less will generate the burnt clutch smell. I've really been easy on the clutch (low rpm starts from stop) and now, with 6,000 miles on the car, the clutch smell is almost gone. Perhaps with a few good launches at the drag strip the smell would have gone away sooner lol!