Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Oil smell getting worse! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332026)

Road King 12-10-2013 06:42 AM

Oil smell getting worse!

So I have read a lot about the whole oil burning smell after mine started to emit the smell after the dealer did the oil change. Not to mention when they did the change they only put in 6 quarts instead of 8 :thumbdown:. It is an intermittent burning oil odor when stopped in general. I have dropped it off at the dealer and they say that they do not smell the odor. I asked them to ride with me and got an excuse like they are too busy or do not have enough people for me to even come in on the weekend.

I decided to look into it myself and got a borescope and stuck it through the vents in the bellhousing and you can see where the oil has pooled. They said it is just discoloration and not oil. Discoloration in the shape of an oil run that follows the center rib depression :crazy:? I asked them if putting only 6 quarts in would cause the smell, too which they denied only putting in 6 (I have the receipt stating the level was 2 quarts low after only 1 week and more needed to be added).

They told me that my aftermarket exhaust was most likely to blame for the smell and pointed to the welds on the back end of the exhaust. My NPP dual mode exhaust that came on the car is aftermarket? I guess that means that the half-shafts, rims, hood, rear spoiler, suspension, etc… are all aftermarket as well (1LE package) :frusty:. That is what their shop manager told me. My wife smells it as well as everyone that has gotten in the car; except those wise techs at the dealer. Having asthma makes it even worse as it is causing breathing issues. It’s not a constant odor of burning oil all the time but it is getting more frequent. I have looked everywhere and could not find any oil leak except where I saw it in the bellhousing, where they say it isn’t even after looking at it with their scope.

The smell has been there for almost 1000 miles; about 3 weeks or so. The only mod to the car is an intake and the car has 15500 miles on it. It had the 1LE catch can installed. I replaced it back to factory and no change. I already made a complaint through GM/Chevrolet website and hope that I will get somewhere with them. Not sure what else to do other than try going to another chevy dealer that will have a tech ride with me to smell the problem and also hear the “broken CD motor sound” coming from the AC blower motor fan on low speed. They also refuse to fix that as well. Horrible service there.

STINGER BEE 12-10-2013 07:02 AM

Do you have a oil breather filter cap on your car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road King (Post 7250705)
So I have read a lot about the whole oil burning smell after mine started to emit the smell after the dealer did the oil change. Not to mention when they did the change they only put in 6 quarts instead of 8 :thumbdown:. It is an intermittent burning oil odor when stopped in general. I have dropped it off at the dealer and they say that they do not smell the odor. I asked them to ride with me and got an excuse like they are too busy or do not have enough people for me to even come in on the weekend.

I decided to look into it myself and got a borescope and stuck it through the vents in the bellhousing and you can see where the oil has pooled. They said it is just discoloration and not oil. Discoloration in the shape of an oil run that follows the center rib depression :crazy:? I asked them if putting only 6 quarts in would cause the smell, too which they denied only putting in 6 (I have the receipt stating the level was 2 quarts low after only 1 week and more needed to be added).

They told me that my aftermarket exhaust was most likely to blame for the smell and pointed to the welds on the back end of the exhaust. My NPP dual mode exhaust that came on the car is aftermarket? I guess that means that the half-shafts, rims, hood, rear spoiler, suspension, etc… are all aftermarket as well (1LE package) :frusty:. That is what their shop manager told me. My wife smells it as well as everyone that has gotten in the car; except those wise techs at the dealer. Having asthma makes it even worse as it is causing breathing issues. It’s not a constant odor of burning oil all the time but it is getting more frequent. I have looked everywhere and could not find any oil leak except where I saw it in the bellhousing, where they say it isn’t even after looking at it with their scope.

The smell has been there for almost 1000 miles; about 3 weeks or so. The only mod to the car is an intake and the car has 15500 miles on it. It had the 1LE catch can installed. I replaced it back to factory and no change. I already made a complaint through GM/Chevrolet website and hope that I will get somewhere with them. Not sure what else to do other than try going to another chevy dealer that will have a tech ride with me to smell the problem and also hear the “broken CD motor sound” coming from the AC blower motor fan on low speed. They also refuse to fix that as well. Horrible service there.

Road King 12-10-2013 07:10 AM

No. The car has went through an oil change at 1500, 5000, 10000, and 15000. The smell only came with the 15000 mile change.

2SS2010 12-10-2013 07:16 AM

Its pretty common for the rear engine cover to leak oil. There is a TSB on it in Alldata, I just went throught the same problem but mine was actually leaking down the BH and poil pan. Dealer i bought it from warrantied it.

01pewterz28 12-10-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road King (Post 7250705)

Well seeing your dealership is clueless I would not even bother going back. Take it to a different dealership.

Road King 12-10-2013 07:25 AM

Mine doesn't seem to be a bad leak, but enough to create a smell. I still can't believe that the shop manager was arguing with me on the exhaust being aftermarket.

nyrfan 12-10-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS2010 (Post 7250744)
Its pretty common for the rear engine cover to leak oil. There is a TSB on it in Alldata, I just went throught the same problem but mine was actually leaking down the BH and poil pan. Dealer i bought it from warrantied it.

Do you have the TSB #?

STINGER BEE 12-10-2013 09:44 AM

You sure you don't have an oil leak somewhere and oil is getting on to the exhaust.
I had an oil cooler gasket leak that throwing oil unto the exhaust and I could smell it at times.Just a thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road King (Post 7250735)
No. The car has went through an oil change at 1500, 5000, 10000, and 15000. The smell only came with the 15000 mile change.

Road King 12-10-2013 09:50 AM

The only possible oil leak that I saw was in the bellhousing. I have checked all other possible locations by simple visual and then tighter places with the borescope. I did see some oil residue on the lower tube coming from the oil cooler at the second rubber fitting. I did not see any oil from the filter, pan, or cooler directly and active. The shop dismissed this as well.

nyrfan 12-10-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STINGER BEE (Post 7251027)
You sure you don't have an oil leak somewhere and oil is getting on to the exhaust.
I had an oil cooler gasket leak that throwing oil unto the exhaust and I could smell it at times.Just a thought.

I can assure you that there are zero visable leaks.

This seems to be a common issue that GM is not willing to correct.

Road King 12-10-2013 11:27 AM

At a minimal, there is a small leak as evident from the oil in the bellhousing. They tried to say it was discoloration. I will put the car back up and use a sampling swab to collect a sample of the area.

Pro Stock John 12-10-2013 11:50 AM

Check your oil cooler, mine went real bad last month.

STINGER BEE 12-10-2013 12:13 PM

That's what I told him to check earlier,the gasket went on mine and oil leaked unto the exhaust giving a burning oil smell.
Good luck I hope you find out where the smell is coming from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 7251346)
Check your oil cooler, mine went real bad last month.

2SS2010 12-10-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan (Post 7250755)
Do you have the TSB #?

05-06-01-034L

Again this is off AllData