Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Gonna Try out the Zaino Process this weekend... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42528)

Dev 09-14-2009 09:31 PM

Gonna Try out the Zaino Process this weekend...

So before I do, I just want to make sure I have all the steps down properly. Moose or anyone else whose done this before feel free to chime in on any additional tips I might need. I bought the Total Protection Show Car Kit and the 3pack of blonde towels fyi.

Step 1
The Dawn Wash. Wash with dawn using a good sponge or washing mitt.

Step 2
With the car still wet begin the Claying process. Mix a capful of Zaino Z7 Car wash with 16oz of water in a spray bottle. Keep the surface plenty wet and move back and forth on the top sides and up and down on the sides. Keep checking the clay for impurities and knead it to a clean surface often so you dont scratch the paint.

Step 3
Wash the Car with Z7 Car wash and dry.

Step 4
using the Zaino applicator, apply a coat of Z5 car polish. IF you dont have any swirl marks you will only need 1 coat of this. Wipe off with towels.

Step 5
Start applying Z2 polish. Mix 1 oz of car polish and 5 drops of ZFX in a mixing bottle to hasten the cure time. Use a dime sized drop on a moistened applicator for each panel. Use sparingly and use the same back/forth up/down motion as with the clay.

Step 6
Let the polish cure for 30 mins to an hour, then wipe off with the blonde towels

Step 7
Spray with Z6 and repeat steps 5-7 as neccessary.

MY QUESTIONS:
so thats the basic process as I understand it.
1. how much Dawn should I add to my gallon bucket for a good wash?
2. For the Claying, should I keep the whole bar intact or cut the bar into slices for each panel?
3. Can I use the ZFX with the Z5 polish? If so, how long should I wait before wiping down the car for the next step? After wiping down the car can I start applying Z2 immediately?
4. After completing Step 7, how long should I wait before starting with Z2 again?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. Ill try to update this post with all your info to have a definitive guide to help everyone else who would need this.

Jeanius 09-14-2009 10:06 PM

Moose will fill you in on everything but a couple of quick things

Dampen the applicator before you put any zaino on it, yes you can add zfx to z5, you can only do a total of 3 coats that include ZFX

UCI CamaroFan 09-15-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanius (Post 924039)
Moose will fill you in on everything but a couple of quick things

Dampen the applicator before you put any zaino on it, yes you can add zfx to z5, you can only do a total of 3 coats that include ZFX

What happens if you do more than 3 coats?

jtellez 09-15-2009 07:25 AM

A couple more questions to add in because I will be doing the same thing soon:

What types of wash mitts and towels are best to use? Any specific brand or material?

rolnslo 09-15-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan (Post 924667)
What happens if you do more than 3 coats?

No more than 3 coats per 24 hours when using ZFX. No more than 1 coat per 24 hours without ZFX.

Dev 09-15-2009 11:34 AM

ok good info so far, but when you say "coat" are you referring to Z2 only, or do you mean Z2 and Z6 together as 1 coat. Thanks

homerlex 09-15-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dev (Post 925794)
ok good info so far, but when you say "coat" are you referring to Z2 only, or do you mean Z2 and Z6 together as 1 coat. Thanks

"Coats" includes Z5 and Z2 (stuff you mix with ZFX)

Michael_Js 09-15-2009 01:37 PM

Z6 is the spray you use AFTER you have done the last coat of wax, and as touch ups, cleaning etc...

:) Have fun! It's a lot of work but it sure comes out great! Now to see if the hard water spots I got on the car yesterday come off easily with a wash :( Oh well...no garage & no cover yet. Very Very sad...

jtellez 09-15-2009 02:24 PM

I thought Z6 was used after each coat of wax and Z8 was the final "grand finale" spray.

rolnslo 09-15-2009 03:44 PM

You can use z6 or z8 as the spray on detailer. I use Z6 after each coat of Z5 or Z2 to ensure that I cleaned all the Z5/Z2 off completely. I haven't used Z8 and don't plan to buy it.

Michael_Js 09-15-2009 03:59 PM

Ok, sorry, then in between is fine I guess :)

Z8 is very difficult to use / take off. I've had limited success and the car HAS to be cool!

jtellez 09-15-2009 04:56 PM

Sounds good, I wasn't planning on buying any Z8.

Gabe 09-15-2009 05:00 PM

Besides the Porter polisher what other polisher are good but not this expensive?? The Porter's go for $120 to $200. Is there anything a little cheaper in price but still works pretty good?

Dev 09-16-2009 01:08 PM

Also I still wanted to know about the clay bar. Would it be better to slice them up for each section or just go over the car with the bar whole?