Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Oil Leak From Oil Cooler (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101763)

george 05-27-2012 07:55 AM

I have not had any trouble since the work. It seems dry. so far...

Regards.

George

george 06-30-2012 05:10 AM

I found oil on the garage again. Took the car to a local dealer and I looked under the engine. All seals looked dry but noticed oil coming from the hollow frame support below the engine. I'm hoping it was just the oil that was trapped in there after the pan was dropped. I'll keep everyone posted.

George

Hannibal 06-30-2012 05:40 AM

It's possible but not likely. Trapped oil in the frame tubing should have run out days after it was spilled in there, not a month later.

I hope you don't have to tear up your car again.

caverman 06-30-2012 09:21 PM

I called Classic Chevy about mine. yesterday. Asked the service mgr if he had heard if it is common and he said he hadn't heard about it. He then went on to tell me how they serviced the most Chevy in all of TX...blah, blah, blah. I got the old "take the forums with a grain of salt" and "it's not a normal issue".

I'm not saying it's normal but I don't think it's uncommon. Anyway, he said it would probably be more than something I would want to wait on a Saturday morning. So, I'm waiting until after the July 4th holiday just in case they end up wanting to keep it and then make me wait during the holiday.

I'm extremely nervous about leaving my car at a dealership. I just really scared they will screw something else up. Plus I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't give me some grief about it having headers and a tune.

Hannibal 07-01-2012 06:44 AM

All dealers tell you to ingore the forum. It's an ignorant thing to tell a customer.

I hope your oil leak adventure goes smoother than mine. I spent about 45 days sorting out the mess.

hoffmk2003 07-02-2012 01:27 PM

I'm on 2 weeks right now, they replaced the oil pan gasket and it still leaked now the oil cooler. I'm picking it up today.........it better be right and not all screwed up.

Ken

Chevrolet Customer Svc 07-02-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 5218928)
I called Classic Chevy about mine. yesterday. Asked the service mgr if he had heard if it is common and he said he hadn't heard about it. He then went on to tell me how they serviced the most Chevy in all of TX...blah, blah, blah. I got the old "take the forums with a grain of salt" and "it's not a normal issue".

I'm not saying it's normal but I don't think it's uncommon. Anyway, he said it would probably be more than something I would want to wait on a Saturday morning. So, I'm waiting until after the July 4th holiday just in case they end up wanting to keep it and then make me wait during the holiday.

I'm extremely nervous about leaving my car at a dealership. I just really scared they will screw something else up. Plus I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't give me some grief about it having headers and a tune.

I am sorry to hear about the concern you are experiencing. Please let us know how everything goes at the dealership. Also if you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me at any time!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

caverman 07-02-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 5225789)
I am sorry to hear about the concern you are experiencing. Please let us know how everything goes at the dealership. Also if you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me at any time!

Brandon

Will do. I hope my fears are wrong but I've seen other threads where someone takes in their car for say an engine issue and it comes back with a scratch in the seat or on the steering wheel or something similar. Then it's your word against theirs.

Now I also see threads here where they are taking 2 weeks and then 45 days to fix the oil cooler. I just hope it doesn't become an issue.

In addition I always think about "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

hoffmk2003 07-03-2012 08:18 AM

Got mine back, other than a few scratches under the hood it looks and drives as good as new.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 07-03-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmk2003 (Post 5225660)
I'm on 2 weeks right now, they replaced the oil pan gasket and it still leaked now the oil cooler. I'm picking it up today.........it better be right and not all screwed up.

Ken

Please let us know if your dealership was able to address the concern you have been having. I know that unexpected repair costs can be frustrating. I am looking forward to your updates.

Brandon

hoffmk2003 07-06-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 5232332)
Please let us know if your dealership was able to address the concern you have been having. I know that unexpected repair costs can be frustrating. I am looking forward to your updates.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon,

So far so good, I won't know for sure it is fixed until I drive it for a while and then go ahead and get it in the air and see if the pan is wet. So far from what I Can tell from peeking under it all is well and it is dry as bone. :thumbup:

Ken

carrs_crew 08-31-2012 04:05 PM

Looks like I might get to join the club:thumbdown:. While I was getting my suspension bushings, sways, brakes upgraded, the shop owner found the same issue. I could almost copy the picture already posted and submit it here. On to the dealer after the Labor day weekend to see what happens next. From the posts, I will confirm that they will use dye, and bring up that the oil cooler can make it seem other items are the culprit. Thanks for those that posted in here. One side question, I know every company has turn over but I saw 4 different Chevy service responders on this thread and they all were not aware of this:iono:. The owner of the shop new it was an issue with that area since he has seen it before even on his camaro. My car has 22,000 didn't notice oil leaking so maybe this was caught early?:iono: but doubt it.
I keep you posted....

mikeSS 08-31-2012 06:01 PM

mine leaked and was fixed under warranty

Ryanbabz71 08-31-2012 06:21 PM

Don't feel bad it's happening to the silverados too. My 2010 with the 6.2 had an oil cooler leak last yr

Ryan

Bobtorious 08-31-2012 10:14 PM

Add another one to the list.... calling dealer tomorrow.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 09-04-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrs_crew (Post 5518848)
Looks like I might get to join the club:thumbdown:. While I was getting my suspension bushings, sways, brakes upgraded, the shop owner found the same issue. I could almost copy the picture already posted and submit it here. On to the dealer after the Labor day weekend to see what happens next. From the posts, I will confirm that they will use dye, and bring up that the oil cooler can make it seem other items are the culprit. Thanks for those that posted in here. One side question, I know every company has turn over but I saw 4 different Chevy service responders on this thread and they all were not aware of this:iono:. The owner of the shop new it was an issue with that area since he has seen it before even on his camaro. My car has 22,000 didn't notice oil leaking so maybe this was caught early?:iono: but doubt it.
I keep you posted....

Please let us know how service goes after you set an appointment. We are here for your questions or comments.

Brandon

carrs_crew 09-04-2012 04:35 PM

My dealer is going to replace the oil pan gasket. I have faith that the dealer will fix it right, just concerned how many times I will need to take it in. I know they are following protocol and have had work done there before with no issues. My concern is the dropping of the suspension, since my recent replacement of aftermarket parts, and if the alignment will be different than what my part installer set it to for road course setup.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 09-05-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrs_crew (Post 5532841)
My dealer is going to replace the oil pan gasket. I have faith that the dealer will fix it right, just concerned how many times I will need to take it in. I know they are following protocol and have had work done there before with no issues. My concern is the dropping of the suspension, since my recent replacement of aftermarket parts, and if the alignment will be different than what my part installer set it to for road course setup.

Please let us know how everything goes during your service appointment and if the dealership was able to address your concern properly. We are here at your convenience!

Brandon

carrs_crew 09-05-2012 11:35 AM

I haven't even been able to get it on the track yet, I guess it is a good thing that this was noticed before a push the car a little. Even with all the problems these cars are experiencing, I wouldn't trade it for any other. I was stoked when it was revealed in 06 and excited when it hit production looking as much as the concept looked. Hopefully in 2 days I will get my car back and will update as the weeks go by. I have to say that I am pretty lucky being close to a customer friendly dealer, and Camaro Scotty!

Thanks Brandon,
I don't forsee an issue, even if the oil pan is not the fix. I know my dealer will work to get it right. Glad to have the 5 year 100,000 mile(5 years will come up first) warranty for issues like this. I will keep you posted as well. How many of service reps do you have patroling the site?

Bobtorious 09-06-2012 11:21 AM

I have a faulty oil cooler. Dealer will be replacing.

midnighter 09-06-2012 10:55 PM

Doh! I installed my catback system today and noticed that my oil cooler is also leaking where it screws on to the block.. Problem is my warranty just ran out. I am going to try and fix it myself. Or would the warranty still cover it? I only have 5,285 miles on my Camaro.

caverman 09-06-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnighter (Post 5543888)
Doh! I installed my catback system today and noticed that my oil cooler is also leaking where it screws on to the block.. Problem is my warranty just ran out. I am going to try and fix it myself. Or would the warranty still cover it? I only have 5,285 miles on my Camaro.

You do realize your you have a 5yr/100k drivetrain warranty......

3/36k is for everything else.

midnighter 09-06-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 5543966)
You do realize your you have a 5yr/100k drivetrain warranty......

3/36k is for everything else.

Oh awesome! :w00t: Thanx, then I will take it in next week. Hopefully the Corsa catback exhaust I just installed doesn't void that warranty.

caverman 09-06-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnighter (Post 5543975)
Oh awesome! :w00t: Thanx, then I will take it in next week. Hopefully the Corsa catback exhaust I just installed doesn't void that warranty.

Has nothing to do with it. Dealer should fix the issue with no problem.

carrs_crew 09-06-2012 11:32 PM

Dealer had it done less than 1 1/2 days, I will get her out soon and see if she leaks, and keep checking the cardboard from then on, as well as get her up and look at the undercarriage.