Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   East Texas Muscle Cars' Turbo V6 Camaro to take on Nissan GT-R at the ring! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36082)

rodimus prime 08-07-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 774395)
I can't WAIT to see the results....and tout one more car capable of handing the gtr its broken transmission on a platter made of non-OEM race tires (see if anyone picks up on those metaphors...;))....:happyanim:

You can file that under "aint gonna happen".

Like it or not, the GTR is a well put together car. It would be funny if it did happen, but then it would also be faster than a z06 and a zr1.

Aint gonna happen.

east TX Muscle cars 08-08-2009 12:04 AM

Yes we are going with the STS route. we run a TON of there kits and my personal car is a 1000+ hp STS TT car. on pump gas. If i though we needed a ROOTS to do the job i would have picked that, but the GTR does it with T.T.'s so we will too!

rodimus prime 08-08-2009 06:26 AM

Im rooting for you guys. It would be funny stuff to see that happen. If you need any smart ass comments to get you guys through it let me know.

Epitaph 08-08-2009 06:50 AM

That's going to take quite a bit of work...Good luck! :)

Any idea when you'll have it finished? As in...will you keep working on it after SEMA?

manimsoblack 08-08-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodimus prime (Post 774414)
You can file that under "aint gonna happen".

Like it or not, the GTR is a well put together car. It would be funny if it did happen, but then it would also be faster than a z06 and a zr1.

Aint gonna happen.

you mean as fast as a zr1

Supermans 08-08-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 769660)
It's more than just having an affordable and fast V6. This is proving the limits of the LLT and pushing it to dimensions never before reached. It is taking a car that targeted the Corvette and putting a turbocharged V6 in front of it. Stop thinking about the money and realize how amazing a feat of engineering this truly is. Of course it is going to be expensive, but how could it not be worth seeing someone's minimal Camaro LS defeat a Nissan GT-R at the Nurburgring?

Yes, but it won't be a minimal LS anymore after $26,000 or more worth of upgrades to everything..But I know what you mean though..

chrisgalles 08-08-2009 12:51 PM

So...anyone got a hook up with the airlines. See if we can get a Camaro5 group rate over to Germany so we can all cheer the Camaro on. How sweet would it be to have an airplane full of Camaro5 guys and gals!

ConceptVBS 08-08-2009 01:07 PM

500 hp on a 3700 lb car with RWD is not going to beat a GT-R. Even the ~3000 pounds ZR1 barely beats out the GT-R. AWD with rear bias wins in this track.

I fail to see what the point in this. Spending tons of money on a main stream sports car to beat a time set by a super car. So lets say you did beat it, what did you accomplish? That a highly modified car can beat a stock car? Heres a cookie. With that kind of money to spend, I'd rather buy the ZR1 and beat the GT-R, STOCK.

Supermans 08-08-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConceptVBS (Post 775683)
500 hp on a 3700 lb car with RWD is not going to beat a GT-R. Even the ~3000 pounds ZR1 barely beats out the GT-R. AWD with rear bias wins in this track.

I fail to see what the point in this. Spending tons of money on a main stream sports car to beat a time set by a super car. So lets say you did beat it, what did you accomplish? That a highly modified car can beat a stock car? Heres a cookie. With that kind of money to spend, I'd rather buy the ZR1 and beat the GT-R, STOCK.

You cannot buy a ZR1 for $55,000... Anyways, the point is these guys have set out a goal.. If they meet the goal then they have a great marketing tool for their product. If not, then they still can say they got a certain time which could be better than many other cars out there.. This could be a publicity stunt...Let's wait and see..

stovt001 08-08-2009 01:39 PM

Sometimes the real fun is in the process and trying, not necessarily the result. Even if they fail, they end up making a really amazing V6 Camaro.

Mr. Wyndham 08-08-2009 04:31 PM

":laugh:" at all the negative nancys around here...

Your mother's ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all? Is there really a need for the repetitive "it ain't gonna happen"? No...you aren't building it, and it hasn't been built yet, so if you doubt them, then keep your comments to yourselves! :)

Epitaph 08-08-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 776266)
":laugh:" at all the negative nancys around here...

Your mother's ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all? Is there really a need for the repetitive "it ain't gonna happen"? No...you aren't building it, and it hasn't been built yet, so if you doubt them, then keep your comments to yourselves! :)

:word:

It's the fact that they're getting pissed at these people for even attempting this feat that bothers me....

Btw, who says this car will be RWD? They could make it AWD. I'm not saying they will, but it's a possibility.

Don't forget that the GT-R will be using street tires as well. Their "Fastest Lap" was on racing tires.

GTAHVIT 08-08-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epitath (Post 776942)
:word:

It's the fact that they're getting pissed at these people for even attempting this feat that bothers me....

Btw, who says this car will be RWD? They could make it AWD. I'm not saying they will, but it's a possibility.

Don't forget that the GT-R will be using street tires as well. Their "Fastest Lap" was on racing tires.

I'm with ya but,

I don't think a AWD conversion is in the works for the 55K price tag they've got going.

ShnOmac 08-08-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epitath (Post 776942)

That could make a major diff right there

bkservice1 08-09-2009 12:51 PM

i dont care about the hp. i just love driving my car the way it is. its frigging awsome and everyone stares when i drive by

1GMFanatik 08-09-2009 12:59 PM

I don't understand why everyone gets all excited about the GT-R.. They are pretty sharp and pretty quick BUT what about the trans issues and not being covered STOCK from Nissan after using the Competitive Mode??

Anyways... I like the direction that ya'll are going with this and can't wait to see some updates let alone the final outcome. Keep on keepin on. Being different is most def where it's at.

Mr. Wyndham 08-09-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shnomac77 (Post 777225)
That could make a major diff right there

Something like 30 seconds according to Porche. They ran a BONE stock gtr down the ring to dispute Nissans phoney times, and it came out just shy of 8 minutes, if I recall correctly. Slower than a Z06.:thumbdown:

EDIT: Here's an article.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/30/p...ting-the-ring/

EDIT2: And I don't mean to turn this into a gtr-bashing thread. Simply providing some evidence that this isn't as difficult as some think.

Erik@Torq 08-11-2009 06:02 PM

R-spec tires compared to a high performance street tire (not racing slicks) will differ about 8-15 sec depending on the vehicle. The issue with the GT-R going so "slow" was because of different drivers, different days, different weather etc etc. I was there during the second run and saw it with my own eyes.

I have raced at The Nürburgring many times, last time being just a few months ago. I visit the track at least twice a year for "tourist driving" and twice a year for official racing.

HP is obviously important on a track like The Nürburgring, considering a hight difference of approx. 900feet and many long straights, but is far from everything. Just because a car has 2000hp won't make it go faster because it then has to brake harder and have a better suspension to keep the speed through the corners. Every part of the car is as important then the next. A well balanced, well sorted car is everything at that track!

May I ask who is driving? As I am sure you know, the drivers of the any car that has gone faster then 8min full lap, is no amateur. They say it takes about 150 laps to know your way around the track (14 miles, over 100 corners, many dips, bumps etc that WILL kill you if taken wrong) and another 100 laps to really be able to drive fast. I do believe a really good driver could take a highly modified Camaro and do a 8min lap, but where on a forum 30sec may not sound like much, is actually a life time on that track!

Will you be gutting the car completely? Full roll cage? What are the specs on the suspension and brakes besides who's making them? R-spec tires, street tires or slicks?

When will you be doing the actual timed run? On a manufacturer day? Because there are extremly few days that the complete track is open to the public without paying 10-15K USD for 2 hours track time. The tourist driving is not recommended for timed runs due to traffic, plus the Döttingehöhe straight (the long one) is closed and you have to enter the paddock before going out again.

I ask this because I have been involved in a few record runs and trials, and I know how hard it is to get in there.

I hope you guys take the time to answer my questions as I am extremely interested in this project as The Ring is my second home :)

I seriously hope you guys do pull this off, and I wish you all the luck!

If you have any questions about setting the car up for the track, or anything at all just send me a PM.

carsismeZ06 08-11-2009 06:15 PM

If they do it...I'll buy one.

carsismeZ06 08-12-2009 09:36 AM

GT-R Blog Thinks East Texas Muscle Cars Is A Joke

http://www.gtrblog.com/2009/08/07/fr...with-turbo-v6/
:mad0260:

I kinda like the GT-R, but after this...screw it.

Rikarus 08-12-2009 09:55 AM

So the Texan's should jsut go and KICK Ass!

PieNsky 08-14-2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 769660)
It's more than just having an affordable and fast V6. This is proving the limits of the LLT and pushing it to dimensions never before reached. It is taking a car that targeted the Corvette and putting a turbocharged V6 in front of it. Stop thinking about the money and realize how amazing a feat of engineering this truly is. Of course it is going to be expensive, but how could it not be worth seeing someone's minimal Camaro LS defeat a Nissan GT-R at the Nurburgring?

I was told they are going with a loaded V6 over a LS :yikes:
Fbodfather has stated several times the LS was to be a blank sheet of paper for those who wanted to spend it else where. It would have tough looking wouldn't it ! :chevy: And what is the difference in the 1LT? Foglights,wheels and powered seats? Haven't decided on an aftermarket wheel and those aftermarket colored halo headlights look nice.

bluestang50 08-14-2009 12:39 AM

hell yeah go east tx muscle cars, are yall trying to beat the GTRs real stock lap time of 7:56?

chevydude26 08-21-2009 11:25 PM

any word on the progress??

I hope you guys can do it! i'm pulling for you guys

DntWrryBeHappy21 08-22-2009 12:01 AM

after reading that article laughing at the camaro trying to beat it i REALLY REALLY hope it slays the GTR and well I like the GTR...sigh good luck guys!!