Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Worth to pursue? (car scratched my rear view mirror) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111632)

eggydoo 10-19-2010 10:58 AM

Worth to pursue? (car scratched my rear view mirror)

Parked at the supermarket and this guy, who most likely has bad depth perception, parked over the parking line and what I can tell scratched my paint on my rear view window.

Scratch is about 1/2 long, with some nice white paint left over. I looked at his door and there is some nice scratches/missing paint on his door as well.

Left a note telling him he scratched my car and to call me. Of course, no call, but worth a shot.

I did take pictures of the small damage to his car and mine, his license plate, and his botched parking.

Would it be worth it to pursue through insurance?

Edit: i mean side view mirror

Mr_Draco 10-19-2010 11:06 AM

Only if you have a zero deductible and depends on the cost of repair.

When minor accidents happen in parking lots, such as this, your insurance covers your car, not his insurance. As such your deductible comes into play.

Also most insurance companies won't cover someone elses car without a police report and police won't fill out a incident report unless it was on a public road way, which a parking lot is not.

d69chris 10-19-2010 11:12 AM

I would guess $100-150 if the scratch is deep, probably less than deductible, so it's on you.

You would need to pursue in small claims, is it worth it?

Not saying it's right, but I would have left a shoe print on his door! About 3in. deep...

Mr_Draco 10-19-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d69chris (Post 2458646)
I would guess $100-150 if the scratch is deep, probably less than deductible, so it's on you.

You would need to pursue in small claims, is it worth it?

Not saying it's right, but I would have left a shoe print on his door! About 3in. deep...

Won't win in small claims unless there is a witness. The other guy could claim that the scratches to his door was there before the event took place and the OP has no proof that he actually did it, the defendant could claim that he saw the car that that was parked there before him do the damage. There simply isn't enough proof for the court to make a ruling.

Also the OP doesn't have any personal info besides the license plate to file a small claim. The costs to get personal information from a license plate number costs a good bit of cash without a police report, depending on the state this runs about $50-$75 per inquiry from the DMV. You also need to take into account the small claims fee. These two fees alone could run you more then what the repair would cost and you can't file to get that money back in the small claims court.

ron10 10-19-2010 11:36 AM

i would pursue it.you are going to be out total cost of the repair,plus your time and trouble.
i would make the person pay.

stevea 10-19-2010 12:47 PM

That's why I always park "way out back" in parking lots. If some idiot did park beside me and damage my car I wouldn't be able to leave my number since the damage to their car would probably end me up in jail

67 Convertible 10-19-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron10 (Post 2458725)
i would pursue it.you are going to be out total cost of the repair,plus your time and trouble.
i would make the person pay.

How are you going to "make" the person pay?

Skip the insurance unless you have 0 deductable. Pay a body shop whatever it costs to fix it ($100-$200 :iono:) and move on.

jdenotter 10-19-2010 01:02 PM

I'm sure a local police department would of done an accident report in the parking lot. I should know I do several a month at my department, lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DarrenJ 10-19-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggydoo (Post 2458596)
Parked at the supermarket and this guy, who most likely has bad depth perception, parked over the parking line and what I can tell scratched my paint on my rear view window.

Scratch is about 1/2 long, with some nice white paint left over. I looked at his door and there is some nice scratches/missing paint on his door as well.

Left a note telling him he scratched my car and to call me. Of course, no call, but worth a shot.

I did take pictures of the small damage to his car and mine, his license plate, and his botched parking.

Would it be worth it to pursue through insurance?

Edit: i mean side view mirror

He damaged your car, he needs to pay to have it repaired.

eggydoo 10-19-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d69chris (Post 2458646)

Thought about it, but what if this was a honest guy? Apparently not since he probably just threw my note in the trash.

if anything, i'll let Karma do my payback. Or i'll do a nice confrontation next time I see his car :paddle:

The damage can prob be fixed with some touch up paint, but sometimes it's the principle.

Entaille 10-19-2010 02:52 PM

if your pictures are convincing that he hit your car, file a claim with your insurance. up front, you may be paying your deductible.. but if the pictures prove he did it without a doubt, they will use his license plate to look him up and contact his carrier (if he's insured), to go after them for the repair plus your deductible cost to refund you.

CrazyDan 12-04-2010 05:19 AM

Not to many honest people left I probaly would have stomped his face in. I work way to hard to own a car like this to have some pecker mess it up. Just my 2 cents not for everyone . You would never win in court so next time get ur moneys worth cause your paying for this one .

Cheshirelaugh 12-04-2010 11:53 AM

Go after his insurance. You shouldn't have to pay for that!