Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Side scoop trim (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5728)

mxkx250 08-02-2008 07:59 AM

Side scoop trim

I haven't seen production pictures of the ss/rs so I was wondering if they may have some trim over the fake scoops in front of the rear wheels. There is a president, the 69's had chrome on the rs. If not, I hope the aftermarket will have something. Those black covers they had on the prototypes look so much better.

Camaro Lives On 08-03-2008 12:59 PM

^Huh? What black covers? Sry, I just can't follow. Chrome trim would be quite nice tho.

CamaroSpike23 08-03-2008 03:25 PM

the scoops are non-functional to begin with. i havent seen any trim on them tho

nUcLeArEnVoY 08-03-2008 07:30 PM

I thought they WERE open on the concept, not covered in black to make them look open. It would make sense though, since they were suspiciously dark.

Chrome trim as a throwback to the old ones would look out of place without some more chrome to compliment it. I actually plan on chroming my door handles, though. They're small enough for it not to look extreme. It'll work out especially since I plan on getting the RS package meaning chrome tail light bezels.

If they make flat super black tape to apply over the slits to make them "look" open, then I am sure they'd be a huge hit, especially if that truly is what they did for the concept.

mxkx250 08-04-2008 01:15 PM

I saw a concept at the Pittsburgh auto show this spring. The slots may have been open, I couldn't tell. There was some black plastic covers over them which could be added over the fake louvers. I haven't seen a picture of the production SS/RS though to see if there was anything like that.

Angrybird 12 08-04-2008 01:21 PM

If the factory does not offer any trim, a little creative pin striping would do the trick....

or even have your bodyman cut out the vents completely and weld in smooth metal

radz28 08-04-2008 02:38 PM

I couldn't pay a bodyman $3K in bodywork and add the risk of corrosion problems down the road for some cosmetics. I think the black tape is kinda' cheezy, however, I'd do that before hacking up my car. In addition, I'm sure there are additional structural and crash protection panels in those areas, like the inner and outer wheelhouses and such (I worked at a dealership and bodyshop for ten years, so yes, I know what could be there...) These are likely one of the many reasons the fuel tank filler door was moved also. It's not as easy as some think, to do this kinda' metalwork correctly. If you wanted a flawless job, you'd paint almost both sides of the car to achieve a good blendable color match; the front doors for sure. Some will argue, but this is not an easy proposition.

nUcLeArEnVoY 08-04-2008 04:33 PM

The black tape thing is the only sure fire way to make them appear open without a lot of money being spent, and more importantly potential rust problems. Those open holes in an area like that is corrosion waiting to happen.

Angrybird 12 08-05-2008 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 106399)
I couldn't pay a bodyman $3K in bodywork and add the risk of corrosion problems down the road for some cosmetics. I think the black tape is kinda' cheezy, however, I'd do that before hacking up my car. In addition, I'm sure there are additional structural and crash protection panels in those areas, like the inner and outer wheelhouses and such (I worked at a dealership and bodyshop for ten years, so yes, I know what could be there...) These are likely one of the many reasons the fuel tank filler door was moved also. It's not as easy as some think, to do this kinda' metalwork correctly. If you wanted a flawless job, you'd paint almost both sides of the car to achieve a good blendable color match; the front doors for sure. Some will argue, but this is not an easy proposition.

You don't have to use tape, Paint them on if you think it looks cheezy....
I am hoping someone will come out with trim styled like the 69 version, at least it has some history.
I would never cut out those vents, Like i said earlier, who knows what problems you would produce by doing that along with voiding your rust through warrenty.

camaro&T/A 08-05-2008 05:06 PM

Painting them would be extremely cheap easy and effective.

Xanthos 08-05-2008 05:30 PM

I'm going to cut mine open eventually so I can feed my turbos off of them.
- Xanthos

CamaroSpike23 08-07-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 107296)
I'm going to cut mine open eventually so I can feed my turbos off of them.
- Xanthos

im going to run brake coolers off it.

Angrybird 12 08-07-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 108414)
im going to run brake coolers off it.

so are you going to rig up some front brake coolers also? front brakes do most of the work and need coolers more than rear brakes...