Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Clutch Drop Sound (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280806)

Morpheusxeno 03-03-2013 07:06 PM

Clutch Drop Sound

When pushing in the clutch in first gear quickly and low RPMS (1400-2000) I hear this sound of something in the transmission dropping, Is this normal ? it sounds like a golf ball being dropped inside a thick metal box. Usually bounces a few times it sounds like.

Mutant Racer 03-03-2013 07:11 PM

I hear it before I back in to my garage. I do believe it is normal.

Sblann 03-03-2013 08:15 PM

The dealer gave me bullentin number 03-07-29-004h manual transmission operating characteristics it goes over basic information, cold operation, gear rattle,neutral rattle, backlash, shift effort, non synchronized gears. So with all that said no matter what noise your car is making they have an excuse for it in this document. I think it's unacceptable for a 40 thousand dollar car to make this sound.

thahemp 03-03-2013 08:38 PM

It's not the car's fault. Like Comrando said, it's driveline slack. It means the car isn't being driven well...

Don't push the clutch while the driveline is loaded. Consider it a message from your car to you! :argue:

CamaroSS_RJS 03-03-2013 08:57 PM

Yeah, mine does the same thing.....in first gear......no matter how gentle you try to be, it just makes that sound.

CamaroSS_RJS 03-03-2013 08:58 PM

Backing up I hear another type of sound from the brakes......it's not the clutch....only does it in reverse. Need to find out more about this.

Mr. Wyndham 03-03-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sblann (Post 6241502)
The dealer gave me bullentin number 03-07-29-004h manual transmission operating characteristics it goes over basic information, cold operation, gear rattle,neutral rattle, backlash, shift effort, non synchronized gears. So with all that said no matter what noise your car is making they have an excuse for it in this document. I think it's unacceptable for a 40 thousand dollar car to make this sound.

It doesn't matter if it's 40,000, or 1,000,000...a manual transmission is operated by the driver. And is subject to human error.

In first gear, with such a tall overall ratio between the engine speed and the wheels...there's a little slack in the drivetrain. Some talk about gear lash when referring to it.

Very normal...with practice and purpose, it can be avoided. :thumbsup:

CyberPunk223 03-03-2013 09:02 PM

Try shifting smoothly and a bit slower. and try pushing the clutch all the way down when making the 1 to 2 shift (i assume this the 1 giving you trouble), what happens to me sometime is that I will shift before pushing the clutch down and you get a thunk (this is you pulling the tranny out of gear with the clutch still engaged), or sometimes I just dont push the clutch down enough. happens a lot if your not careful on the 1 to 2 shift.

thahemp 03-03-2013 09:07 PM

The drivetrain has an amount of slack in it. When it is loaded the slack is taken up. If you disengage the transmission from the engine while it is loaded, everything will spring back and oscillate. That is what you're feeling/hearing. If you match the input RPM to the output RPM and release driveline pressure slowly, it will not make the noise.

I usually piss my car off when I'm pulling into the garage. I used to do it a lot in parking lots or anywhere slow driving was required. You just have to learn to deal with all of the different loaded drivetrain scenarios and knock them out one at a time.

Mutant Racer 03-03-2013 09:51 PM

What do you guys mean by being gentle? To go from 1st to reverse I have to stop my car and I'm already creeping down the alley to get to my garage. Right before I stop I press in the clutch and you'll hear that little drop sound.

Are you guys talking about something else?

Mr. Wyndham 03-03-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant Racer (Post 6241919)
What do you guys mean by being gentle? To go from 1st to reverse I have to stop my car and I'm already creeping down the alley to get to my garage. Right before I stop I press in the clutch and you'll hear that little drop sound.

Are you guys talking about something else?

It sounds like you might be leaving it engaged too long. Experiment letting off the clutch sooner. Sometimes, you can load it, erm..."backwards"? If the engine sputters down below normal idle speeds it will want to spin back up, and so when you release the clutch just before a stop it might make a little rattle sound as it releases that tension.

I discovered that at stoplights...I'd wait just a little too long to depress the clutch at a traffic signal. I don't know if that is your issue or not, though.

Sblann 03-03-2013 10:10 PM

Had a 78 civic, 1969 camaro, 1989 Subaru, 1986 mustang gt, 1980's ford truck and a 1976 scout international all with manuals and none of these made this drive line slack as loud as my camaro is now. Maybe we're talking about different things but my car is a loud clunk and i did drive other new 2013 camaros from other dealers, ( 3 to be exact) they all did make the same noise but it's a slight clunk and I could make it happen or I could stop it from happening depending on how I drove them I get that (those were tolerable and if mine was like that i wouldnt have a problem with it) but mine is not even close to the sound those made. it is alot louder and is harder to not make it happen than in the other cars. Dealer just told me some are louder than others and that he could replace transmission but i may get a louder one and he didnt even take it in and look at it (same thing for another dealer i went to, he just printed me out a bulleton about it) don't think it would be possible to get a louder one than mine. Any suggestions would be appreciated

SolomonSS 03-03-2013 10:14 PM

I experience this too but never thought there was anything wrong.

I get that "knocking" sound if I slow down and engage the clutch too soon or too quickly while coming to a stop. If I begin pushing the clutch in below 15 MPH while coming to a stop there is not any knocking.