Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What do you use to fix scratches? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11084)

MRK III Z28 12-29-2008 11:04 PM

What do you use to fix scratches?

New here on Camaro5, I was just wondering what people use to fix minor and major scratches on their cars. I've seen the Simoniz pen commercial with Billy Mays like a million times :laugh: and wondered if any one had used the product before?? :iono: Thanks for your opinions and this forum is amazing!! long live Camaro5!! :headbang:

camaro5 12-29-2008 11:34 PM

Welcome!

I have not used that Simoniz solution. Curious to hear about it too.

I use polishing compound, it has fixed things you wouldn't believe. Then wax it.

fldrummer 12-30-2008 11:39 AM

If it doesn't penetrate the clear coat completely, I used Kit Scratch-Out. 'Stuff keeps amazing me every time!

Camaro_Corvette 12-30-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro5 (Post 228796)
I use polishing compound, it has fixed things you wouldn't believe. Then wax it.

+1 on the polishing compound, and there is a product that I use but it is at my parents house. I will find out who makes it and tell you, but it's not cheap. It's a three stage polishing compound that does wonders.

MRK III Z28 01-02-2009 09:33 PM

Thanks for the replies, Im gonna look into that kit scratch out for now :w00t: still hoping for a reply from someone who has tried that Simoniz pen :iono:

camaro5 01-03-2009 01:08 AM

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/Produc...niz_fix_it.jpg

Simoniz Fix It Billy Mays Simoniz Fix It Fixit Scratch Remover
Simoniz Fix It quickly repairs scratches, nicks and swirls on your car or truck. Microscopic polishing agents penetrate deeply to return paint to its original shine. Fix It Scratch Remover is safe to use on any color car to quickly and easily repair scratches and nicks. Just apply Fix It to the scratch, use the Power Buffer to rub Fix It deep into the surface of the scratch and then wipe it away. With Fix It, the scratch has met its match!

Amazon.com user reviews:

Thanks to Amazon reviews, December 19, 2008
By Gil Sharkey (Cupertino, CA) - See all my reviews

I use Amazon as a valuable tool. Was going to buy "Simoniz fix it scratch remover". Found 8 all bad reviews calling the product JUNK! I should have known when the screaming Billy May pitches a product. He is the main reason for the MUTE button on my TV remote. Too bad, Simoniz used to be a reputable product. Thanks Amazon I will definitely not buy this product even at the reduced price. The only reason for one star is that is the lowest score possible. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Report this | Permalink
Comment

JUNK!!!, November 13, 2008
By Kimo (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews

This product is JUNK do not waste you $$$ --- it deserves ZERO STARs.
It does not work. The polishing head is poorly affixed to the machine and came off in the first 5 min. of use. Additionally, the motor is too weak and the batteries don't last very long. The polishing compound is no better than regular rubbing compound. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment

6 of 6 people found the following review helpful:
The marketing is better than the product, here's what it does, November 12, 2008
By David Medsker "Dave Medsker" (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews

As owner of RECON Mobile Dent and Paint in Las Vegas I fix scratches every day, and maintain a website at needrecon for the do it yourselfer. This product is great for paint transfer, but it will not repair a scratch or a gouge. If you scrape your fingernail across the scratch and cannot feel it, this product will repair the problem. It's downside is leaving behind swirl marks, but if you apply pressur ethe first time you use it then reapply with no pressure, you will minimize the swirl mark. A swirl mark is sometimes described as a hologram. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, but it is not through the color (most cars have a clear coat over a base or color coat) you might be able to sand the scratch out then polish the sand marks away, which I recommend for an expert or a very good detailer. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
Do not waste your money and Time, September 10, 2008
By K. Govindasamy "Kamal" - See all my reviews

It is completely waste. You cannot return it. I never saw a such a bad customer service.

WARNING !!!! do not buy this.
BAD BAD BAD Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment

5 of 7 people found the following review helpful:
Be Realistic, August 23, 2008
By Sebastian Serrano "Seb" (NC USA) - See all my reviews

I do not own this product and have not bought it. However, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that scratches are not removed with what eventually amounts to just wax.

Scientifically speaking, scratches are places where the normal continuity of the paint has been compromised; said compromise can go to one of three different depths Top-Coat, Paint, and Primer. Obviously, the deeper the scratch goes the harder it is to remove. That being said, how can a wax-job fix a spot where no paint exists to begin with?

Stay away from this product. If you want a product that will TRULLY work on scratches and remove most of them, give Quixx Paint Scratch Remover a try. Unlike this product, the way Quixx works is by pretty much smearing adjacent paint to fill in the scratch and then sealing it, allowing the aforementioned continuity of the paint to be restored. Yes, I bought it and yes it worked wonders on my car. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment (1)

20 of 22 people found the following review helpful:
Don't waste your time & money, May 10, 2008
By R. Tintinger "R. T." (Chicago.Ill) - See all my reviews

Saw the video and thought it was to good to be true, and it was. Did nothing at all, I have four different types of scratches from smudges to hairline and deep and it Did not work on any of them. DO NOT waste your money on this product! Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment (1)

28 of 30 people found the following review helpful:
product does not work, April 25, 2008
By Victor - See all my reviews

This product just shines the scratch; it does not fix the scratch or hide the scratch. The scratch is still there and I have spent my money on a useless product. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment (1)

20 of 21 people found the following review helpful:
Has a use, but be realistic, April 24, 2008
By Sara-s (New York) - See all my reviews

If you really expect to get rid of scratches with car wax, you will be disappointed. Having had no such expectation, I found that the product can be useful in 2 ways.

Firstly, if the car has some stubborn dirt spots that don't come off at the car wash, this gets them out, nicely and with a minimum of elbow grease. Secondly, having used some touch-up paint (which is what you really need, to cover scratches) this can be used to smooth it out a bit. It does not blend it in perfectly, but it makes it a bit subtler.

Let's not kid ourselves. The only thing that really gets rid of scratches is a new, professional paint job. But if you want something that is easy to apply for spot-cleaning and doesn't smell bad, this product is fine. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Comment

18 of 20 people found the following review helpful:
DOES NOT WORK!, April 16, 2008
By J. Sanchez - See all my reviews

This product does not work, DON't waste your money, My car had a scratch made with a key, just a line, and this product made absolutely no difference.

MRK III Z28 01-03-2009 01:49 AM

Awesome Camaro5!!!! thanks for the info, and shame on Billy Mays for endorsing a bad product :thumbdown:

TAG UR IT 01-03-2009 02:12 AM

it all depends on the type of scratch, depth, length, etc.

i'd usually just use polishing compound and an orbital buffer. i've taken the 800 grit wet sandpaper to it before...wasn't fun....but took care of the scratches. of, meguires scratch x also works well.