Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Tired of seeing all the Mustang talk on here...... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28753)

Lee9710 06-22-2009 08:41 AM

Tired of seeing all the Mustang talk on here......

So I have been looking around at all the posts of the GT500 compared to the SS and people losing races to the GT and I just want to vent for a minute. This weekend I pulled up to a new blue 2010 Mustang GT with all the options and my wife and I were cruising in my SS. He starts revving his engine so I say what the hey, when the light hit green we take off and my SS just dominates that GT so bad I slowed down to wait for it. There was no one around, that is why I did it, but how can people say they are getting beat by it and that it is a superior car. My SS is also auto by the way. So once and for all SS>GT. If Ford fanboys don't believe it go find out. As far as the SS vs. GT500 thing......give it a rest, they are not in the same group. Compare it to a Vette, get a beat down by it at the track, and then come back. It's just so funny that they never mention the Vette. I mean if I wanted to my 97 Trans Am with 18k in it I could say was better than the GT500 but once again, it's in a different class. I only paid 2k for the car so that means a 20k car is much faster than a 40k car if you want to get into it like that. And you could say, well put that into the GT500, well then it would still be way more expensive and I could mod again to beat it for cheaper. Bottom line, give it a rest, SS vs. GT, Vette vs. GT500. Feel free to chime in, but no educated person would try to convince others that these cars are in the same class.

Chevyrocker 06-22-2009 08:49 AM

No arguments here. I stopped by a Ford store the other day (one of my buddy's work there) and they had a new Shelby GT 500 on the floor. The car was listed at like $43K, then the Shelby conversion was listed at $35K, so the total cost of that car was $78K!!! If you take a $40,000 2SS and drop $15K in it, you can pretty much out run a Z06, let alone a Shelby.

Supermans 06-22-2009 08:52 AM

Check out this thread ;)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28750

Lee9710 06-22-2009 08:59 AM

Still don't like the way a Mustang looks.........they can keep adding to it or whatever they have to do to keep up with the looks of the Camaro.

TomServo 06-22-2009 09:24 AM

Considered the "least expensive" GT500 lists for $46,325 http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mus...dels/index.asp

I find it odd that some continue to compare it to a car that lists for less that about $12K less.

Having run on Road America with a GT500 (and my stock 06 vette) I can tell you that out on a BIG road course like Road America Wis the GT500 stated getting warm and slowing and was very easy to overtake in the corners (I could out brake him all day) and the 3 long straights (I could out top end him all day).

So I actually think it's a complement to have the Ford boys bring Ford's top gun to the fight just for bragging rights.

Lee9710 06-22-2009 09:34 AM

You do make a good point TomServo, didn't think about it that way. I just think that they should compare to a Corvette, but none of them ever do. I mean it would be the same situation if I compared my '10 SS to a '10 V6 Mustang or something like that and you can't do that. Even though my SS can beat a SRT-8 Challenger I don't compare mine to that one. It is just an added bonus that my SS is faster. It's a good thing when a car from below the class can compete, not when one has to go down a level to compete.

bossbunny 06-22-2009 09:53 AM

I don't NOT like mustangs. I just think they have lost all status as a muscle car to me (unless its a shelby) because the only people I see driving them are little pricky men trying to show off or frumpy women.
I hate mustang drivers mentalities more. The drivers are usually snotty or just plain douche bags. They think the mustang is the king of the road.
You know I give this site props cause its pretty nice about other muscle cars. I mean of course everyones like "the mustang/challenger is cool but I like my camaro best" but you go to other mustang or challenger sites and they are just plain nasty about the camaro. They give muscle car drivers a bad face.

ironpeddler 06-22-2009 09:56 AM

This has been said a million times. Comparing the Gt500 to the vette is just as pointless if not more than comparing the SS to the GT500. The vette is a pure sports car, no back seat, not even in the same category as the GT500 or SS. The SS and GT500 and muscle cars. Same category just different in price.

That is why IMHO you see more comparisons between the Gt500 and SS.

Georgie 06-22-2009 09:56 AM

do we need another one of these threads :yikes:

maxdmax 06-22-2009 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We have both a Mustang GT and a new Camaro. I can tell you one thing when my Son and I go somewhere with both cars together, no one hardly even notices the Mustang. I actually feel bad for him he has one of the best looking 05 Mustangs around. Thats just the way it is right now.....

MontyCarlo 06-22-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee9710 (Post 608362)
You do make a good point TomServo, didn't think about it that way. I just think that they should compare to a Corvette, but none of them ever do. I mean it would be the same situation if I compared my '10 SS to a '10 V6 Mustang or something like that and you can't do that. Even though my SS can beat a SRT-8 Challenger I don't compare mine to that one. It is just an added bonus that my SS is faster. It's a good thing when a car from below the class can compete, not when one has to go down a level to compete.

Hey, Ford doesn't even want magazines to compare an LS Camaro to a '10 V6 Mustang. Have you seen them send a V6 Mustang to anybody for a pony car comparison like they've done with the V8's? I sure haven't.

Ninjak 06-22-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee9710 (Post 608238)
So I have been looking around at all the posts of the GT500 compared to the SS and people losing races to the GT and I just want to vent for a minute. This weekend I pulled up to a new blue 2010 Mustang GT with all the options and my wife and I were cruising in my SS. He starts revving his engine so I say what the hey, when the light hit green we take off and my SS just dominates that GT so bad I slowed down to wait for it. There was no one around, that is why I did it, but how can people say they are getting beat by it and that it is a superior car. My SS is also auto by the way. So once and for all SS>GT. If Ford fanboys don't believe it go find out. As far as the SS vs. GT500 thing......give it a rest, they are not in the same group. Compare it to a Vette, get a beat down by it at the track, and then come back. It's just so funny that they never mention the Vette. I mean if I wanted to my 97 Trans Am with 18k in it I could say was better than the GT500 but once again, it's in a different class. I only paid 2k for the car so that means a 20k car is much faster than a 40k car if you want to get into it like that. And you could say, well put that into the GT500, well then it would still be way more expensive and I could mod again to beat it for cheaper. Bottom line, give it a rest, SS vs. GT, Vette vs. GT500. Feel free to chime in, but no educated person would try to convince others that these cars are in the same class.

Sigh* here we go again. Ok..here are some facts.

1: Racing on the street is not like racing on a track. Pavement compared to a race prep track are entirely two different animals.

2: Drivers make a HUGE difference. You just happen to be the better driver.

3:The Camaro has 111~113 more HP than a GT stock. YOU SHOULD BE FASTER. When the new 5.0 Engine arrive, then you will have a better base comparison. Even so, a good driver may beat out a poor driver simply because the 1/4 difference is not that huge between the 2 cars.

4. Comparing a GT500 to a SS is dumb. Period. Same as comparing a GT500 to Vette...Its dumb. The Vette is in its own class, SPORTS CAR, not MUSCLE CAR. The GT500 is a F/I induction from factory and a step above a regular GT or Camaro. As far as mods such, If you want to go that route, the same argument could be made with a GT getting a few mods and being faster than a Camaro for a cheaper price. The argument becomes endless at that point.

No matter how you slice it, the Mustang is still a very good performer and just a step behind a camaro. After the absence of the camaro, I would hope it would come back better than its past cars. Now not everyone agrees with how this car is, and how it will pan out in the long run....(mags, and other sources...not fan forums btw) but hopefully things will be fine.

In the end its great to have all the cars from the big three back on the road and choose what you want to drive. Again mods, drivers, ect it makes the difference. I have seen vids of stock stangs beating a camaro to. I have seen a little SRT4 keep up with a vette. It is all about the drivers. When cars are close in performance that is what it comes down to. So yes, please put it to rest. You chose your car and you love it. Hurray for winning a street race. There will be times as well when you lose a race. So just enjoy what you have and call it a day.

Edited for spelling...

theshadow1234 06-22-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjak (Post 608659)
Sigh* here we go again. Ok..here are some facts.

1: Racing on the street is not like racing on a track. Pavement compared to a race prep track are entirely to different animals.

2: Drivers make a HUGE difference. You just happen to be the better driver.

3:The Camaro has 111~113 more HP than a GT stock. YOU SHOULD BE FASTER. When the new 5.0 Engine arrive, then you will have a better base comparison. Even so, a good driver may beat out a poor driver simply because the 1/4 difference is not that huge between the 2 cars.

4. Comparing a GT500 to a SS is dumb. Period. Same as comparing a GT500 to Vette...Its dumb. The Vette is in its own class, SPORTS CAR, not MUSCLE CAR. The GT500 is a F/I induction from factory and a step above a regular GT or Camaro. As far as mods such, If you want to go that route, the same argument could be made with a GT getting a few mods and being faster than a Camaro for a cheaper price. The argument becomes endless at that point.

No matter how you slice it, the Mustang is still a very good performer and just a step behind a camaro. After the absence of the camaro, I would hope it would come back better than its past cars. Now not everyone agrees with how this car is, and how it will pan out in the long run....(mags, and other sources...not fan forums btw) but hopefully things will be fine.

In the end its great to have all the cars from the big three back on the road and choose what you want to drive. Again mods, drivers, ect it makes the difference. I have seen vids of stock stangs beating a camaro to. I have seen a little SRT4 keep up with a vette. It is all about the drivers. When cars are close in performance that is what it comes down to. So yes, please put it to rest. You chose your car and you love it. Hurray for winning a street race. There will be times as well when you lose a race. So just enjoy what you have and call it a day.

This is the best post that i've read since all these GT Vs Camaro threads began. :bow: :clap::clap:

Nice.

RocketCutlass 06-22-2009 01:49 PM

I don't know why everyone bashes the stangs. The camaro owes it's conception to the mustang. If the mustang had flopped when it originally came out or didn't even make production at all the camaro would never have been thought of. This coming from a person who is a diehard gm fan and owned several camaro's. Show the mustang a little respect at least.