Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Compatability of boston Acustic speakers... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8662)

Congoman775 10-20-2008 09:44 PM

Compatability of boston Acustic speakers...

I know that 99% of speakers that are sold factory, even audio upgrades like the BA system are uncompatable with aftermarket systems like amps/heads/subs. And its almost impossible to find speakers that are compatable with all three, just because of the way the speakers are made for factory cars vs. after market kits. the theory:if the speakers are aftermarket they are obviously for someone looking to explore their audio capabilities so they are more versatile.

anyways, anyone have any idea if the BA speakers are going to be compatable with say a pioneer head unit, JL subs / Amp?

Meaning...

what level resistance are the BA speakers? 2 or 4?

Tal 10-21-2008 09:04 AM

That's going to be hard to find out before it's actually for sale, the way the stereo is integrated with the rest of the car it will be a lot of trouble and cost to go aftermarket on the head unit though.

Chewy 10-21-2008 10:04 AM

the only issue with speakers subs and amps is watts, amps, and ohms. those arent very difficult to switch or modify as long as your electronically savvy.

head units now n days are hooked up to the car computer which is why they are a PITA. sometimes u can replace the head unit and keep the guts of the old one in your glove box - wire the new thro the old - and it all works out. we will see when we get the car :)

TAG UR IT 10-21-2008 11:36 AM

1. Don't think anyone would actually be able to replace this head unit.
2. Don't know why you would want to.
3. I'd bet if you were able to change them, it would be compatible.

Congoman775 10-21-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 167095)
1. Don't think anyone would actually be able to replace this head unit.
2. Don't know why you would want to.
3. I'd bet if you were able to change them, it would be compatible.

1. agreed.

2. you'd change it because the stock head units are not capable of changing the level of power supplied to say, the subs, or different variations in sound.

For instance... you dont change the head unit, but put in a system, and you get one sound. but if you put in your own head unit you could play the bass on rap songs different than you would on classical music where sharpness and tones are more appriciated.

3. i doubt it. i dont know the details, im not 'electronically savy' enough, but a buddy of mine owns his own shop and is telling me even the audio systems in a bmw M5 (just an example) need to be taken out and redone if you want to do anything serious to it because the speakers are crap. they use different materials to build them that result in poor quality if they arent replaced w/ aftermarket.

Rogue Leader 10-21-2008 07:28 PM

I was an installer for many years. I gotta say from what I've seen of factory systems, Id bet these speakers will be 2 Ohm. I could be wrong, just playing the odds.

As for just replacing the factory amp and driving new speakers, not so easy, however I'm sure someone will come out with some sort of conversion harness eventually either to bypass the amp or allow replacement.

BTW Noone we know of have heard what this system sounds like, I totally understand the want for an aftermarket stereo, but I'd hold off on the plans until you at least HEAR it and then decide how bad you really think it is. Who knows maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.

fastball 10-21-2008 09:42 PM

When it comes to these new cars, if you have to ask about modifying the system then I suggest you not try it. As you might fry your ECM :yikes:

Seriously. This isn't the good old days when GM had the DIN and a half standard Delco radio with 4 easily mounted speakers in the car. Today you have multiplex, impedence matched speakers and amps, and the radio tuner is probably not even part of the head unit - that head unit we see may be nothing more than a circuit board with a CD player attached, and the rest of the guts of the stereo be strewn about the rest of the car. If there is multiplex involved forget it - the same wire may carry 12 volts one second and ground the next.

Camaro Pro 06-30-2009 08:40 AM

It would be ill advised to replace the factory head unit. The faceplate, the part you see, controls more than just the radio function. It's integrated with the heater controls, hazard lights, and door locks. The actual radio is tucked away behind the faceplate, and is connected via a wire to the faceplate. Adding new amps won't be a problem with the stock head unit.

Gentry78 06-30-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro Pro (Post 634124)
It would be ill advised to replace the factory head unit. The faceplate, the part you see, controls more than just the radio function. It's integrated with the heater controls, hazard lights, and door locks. The actual radio is tucked away behind the faceplate, and is connected via a wire to the faceplate. Adding new amps won't be a problem with the stock head unit.

you know you brought up an almost year old thread lol