Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Nav Possibility? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173480)

gkviper192 09-25-2011 11:37 PM

Nav Possibility?

Any possibility of them adding Nav as an option to the '12 camaros first on the zl1 ? Can't believe they don't have NAV it didn't occur to me until earlier today. Are they ever planning on adding it to the camaros at all?

The IOM Ninja 09-26-2011 01:02 AM

I personally don't believe without seriously modifying the center controls this would be possible. You can add an aftermarket nav system but a lot of the time they come with absolutely hideous green glow in the dark buttons. GM wouldn't want to stray from the design they have now and I can't see how it would work while preserving the current radio face.

payne.jeremy82 09-26-2011 02:07 AM

:chevy:The Camaro comes with turn by turn nav. powered by onstar:chevy:

OldJedi 09-26-2011 02:57 AM

Absolutely no possibility of a dash redesign for the 2012 Camaro/ZL1.

payne.jeremy82 09-26-2011 10:34 AM

:chevy: i had read somewhere that it works through the hud but i dont know :chevy:

lbls1 09-26-2011 10:38 AM

While its a nice feature, I don't want chevy to start loading up the zl1 with features that would drive up its price.

I am primarily interested in its bad boy, bare knuckles performance. No nothin' except go-smoke.

91Z28350 09-26-2011 11:54 AM

Unfortunately most likely not. Your best best would be to look in the Audio section to see some of the aftermarket kits. Instead of a nicely integrated, modern audio system, we get the M*$#@ F&*^%$# nintendo looking eyesore.

Elykson 09-26-2011 05:52 PM

I hate the turn by turn onstar. I simply attach my Droid to the sunroof and plug it into the USB port. Costs me nothing and works just fine.

FelipeShaw 09-26-2011 06:24 PM

its easy enough to add navigation! i do doubt they will come up with something as an option for the zl1 or 5th gen camaro! you can buy the metra dash kit(from the dealer or a good audio shop) and do you own aftermarket radio of choice or if you havent seen it yet check out Alpine's 2010 camaro dash kit and see what you think! Metra kit is anywhere from $200-300 and Alpine hasnt released the price of their kit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja (Post 3802201)
I personally don't believe without seriously modifying the center controls this would be possible. You can add an aftermarket nav system but a lot of the time they come with absolutely hideous green glow in the dark buttons. GM wouldn't want to stray from the design they have now and I can't see how it would work while preserving the current radio face.

you know you can change the colors on the metra kit from blue, green, and red! also the little guy sitting down can be change to a girl for anyone that does not know that yet! blue is the closest to what everything is in our cars

The Stig 09-26-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by payne.jeremy82 (Post 3803247)
:chevy: i had read somewhere that it works through the hud but i dont know :chevy:

Yes it works with the HUD

Mr. Wyndham 09-26-2011 07:49 PM

We need to learn to differentiate between "NAV" and "Touchscreen on the dash"....

ALL Camaros come equipped from the factory with Navigation through OnStar, and on 2xx models, it works through the HUD, like it's already been mentioned.

Chances of an in-dash touchscreen? I'd say slim to nil, in my personal opinion...it just ruins the ambiance of the interior that enthusiasts demanded after seeing the concept.

The IOM Ninja 09-26-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 3805984)
We need to learn to differentiate between "NAV" and "Touchscreen on the dash"....

ALL Camaros come equipped from the factory with Navigation through OnStar, and on 2xx models, it works through the HUD, like it's already been mentioned.

Chances of an in-dash touchscreen? I'd say slim to nil, in my personal opinion...it just ruins the ambiance of the interior that enthusiasts demanded after seeing the concept.

Not that GM did that by using the current interior or anything :D.

I'm pretty certain they could add a small touch screen in the shape of the current screen but at the same it would probably add a bunch of cost to it. From a technological standpoint it is 100% possible but it's very unlikely.

Mr. Wyndham 09-26-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja (Post 3806482)
Not that GM did that by using the current interior or anything :D.

I'm pretty certain they could add a small touch screen in the shape of the current screen but at the same it would probably add a bunch of cost to it. From a technological standpoint it is 100% possible but it's very unlikely.

Oh, tech-wise...They could probably do it in their sleep. :laugh:

The IOM Ninja 09-26-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 3806495)
Oh, tech-wise...They could probably do it in their sleep. :laugh:

If little chinese children can build iPhones we can sure as hell stick a navigation system into the Camaro.