Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Superbowl thoughts: car commercials (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12688)

Silver Streak 02-02-2009 09:13 AM

Superbowl thoughts: car commercials

I watched the Superbowl last night and what a great game it was. Something I noticed though pretty early and by the end of the game is I felt that it almost seemed unamerican. What I mean is that none of the American car companies advertised, which we all knew that was going to happen, but Hyundai Genesis was rolling across the screen as a sponsor and showed serveral commercials. It just seems wrong that Chevy, Ford, and Chrysler would be forced to abandon this advertising opportunity because of populist opinion. It is really disturbing to me that people are so short sighted to this. I understand peoples frustrations with the loan to the big three, but are we so naive to think that the foreign companies have not recieved help from there government. Why is there not the same perception toward them as there is our own american companies. Advertising is important, and the Superbowl is gold for commercials. I am very upset that America is more judgemental toward there own companies than toward a foriegn company. I hope that people watching noticed and felt the same as I did. It was just wrong, and as Americans as whole I think we should be ashamed. I for one will buy my camaro and support my country as we all should I believe. I guess my point to this thread is that we really need to check ourselves and what it is we are supporting. I support USA, and I think if more people invested in this thought, we would have had American car commercials in the Superbowl, and we would not support anything over our own. I hope that day comes back to us, Americans need to be proud of being American again, I am!

:flag1:

MerF 02-02-2009 09:20 AM

That Genesis Coupe commercial was sexy as hell. Of all the possible competition the Camaro has (to the average Joe Consumer) I think that car is the biggest threat now. Especially after the face time it just got.

Supermans 02-02-2009 09:33 AM

The genesis is ugly in my opinion.. And I for one feel the add campaign needs to be more "American" aggressive where they target real red blooded American's. The American spirit.. I just don't see it with all the "going green" commercials that GM is putting out..

MerlinZero 02-02-2009 09:38 AM

superbowl thoughts..... THEY BOUGHT IT AGAIN!!!! GRRRRR

Keedy 02-02-2009 09:40 AM

The American spirit is innovation, not "I HAVE A BIG PENIS, AND SO CAN YOU!" The green commercials are very American, so long as they highlight what we are doing to innovate... not say "We only get .5 MPG less than a Camry" Its about doing stuff, not having stuff. Show me a green commercial with a car that Americans developed beating the pants off of any other MPG performer there is. (I'll wait for the volt commercials... I'm sure they'll look something like that.)

Also... i'm not really that excited by the hyundai genesis coupe... To me it looks like they just took a successful name (genesis) and stuck it on a mediocre sport-coupe (tiburon.)

2008 tiburon:
http://www.diariomotor.com/imagenes/...ron-2008-0.jpg

2010 genesis:
http://www.autospider.org/Album/2008...esis_Coupe.jpg

DGthe3 02-02-2009 09:45 AM

Moved to general automotive

MerlinZero 02-02-2009 09:45 AM

Yeah... but the genesis is RWD.... and looks like someone sneezed when they made the window line!

FirstLSK 02-02-2009 10:02 AM

If you see the Genesis in person, you probably wouldn't place it in the same category as the Camaro. They had one at the auto show this weekend and my Wife and I almost walked right by it without noticing. If you parked it next to any other Asian car, it blends right in. It may be Hyundai's first cut at a performance car, but they missed the boat on making it look special.

Oh, and one thing off-topic. I have now seen a 370Z in person. Not impressed AT ALL. In fact, after some of the members here pumped that thing up, I have to say that I am disappointed. It looks like nothing more than a tertiary set of brakes for a pickup truck. Now the GT-R -- that is one rice burner that I would not mind owning. I give credit where credit is due and I have to give perks to Nissan for making a "real car" there. However, the 370Z -- pfft -- just another Asian turd floating in the uncle bens cesspool.

PQ 02-02-2009 10:25 AM

I thought Roethlisberger looks pretty good. ;)

VictoryRed08 02-02-2009 10:42 AM

Honestly, the genesis coupe looks like a $35k+ tiburon, which translated to nothing amazing. And the sedan looks too much like a mercedes to peak my interest.

GatorBlue371 02-02-2009 10:44 AM

i cant believe the steelers gave up almost 400 yards to a 37 year old man.

kanys 02-02-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 (Post 272225)
i cant believe the steelers gave up almost 400 yards to a 37 year old man.

And I can't believe they won after their defense allowed so much! I guess it came down to the Cards stopping them, or at least not giving up the big play on that final drive, but Big Ben just tore em up.

Oh and about the advertising, the Genesis looks pretty good on the tube I must say! I was really hoping to see a Big Three car commercial of any sort but knew it wasnt in the cards. Ah well, I guess I can hope that there will be a sweeeeeet Z28 commercial during the next Super Bowl!!

kdbolt70 02-02-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstLSK (Post 272184)
If you see the Genesis in person, you probably wouldn't place it in the same category as the Camaro. They had one at the auto show this weekend and my Wife and I almost walked right by it without noticing. If you parked it next to any other Asian car, it blends right in. It may be Hyundai's first cut at a performance car, but they missed the boat on making it look special.

Oh, and one thing off-topic. I have now seen a 370Z in person. Not impressed AT ALL. In fact, after some of the members here pumped that thing up, I have to say that I am disappointed. It looks like nothing more than a tertiary set of brakes for a pickup truck. Now the GT-R -- that is one rice burner that I would not mind owning. I give credit where credit is due and I have to give perks to Nissan for making a "real car" there. However, the 370Z -- pfft -- just another Asian turd floating in the uncle bens cesspool.

I felt the same way. I sat in the genesis coupe at NAIAS, and was unimpressed. I think the front looks like someone pinched the nose down. I am not attracted to it at all. Same with the 370Z, I really don't like the looks of it. I'm a form over function guy, so I'll give credit to their powertrains, but I could not imagine owning one.

drivingincamaro 02-02-2009 05:39 PM

the camaro commercial should be just like the genesis commercial but badass :headbang:

most people think a big hefty v8 cant turn or is very bulky