Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   High flow cat or cut off back two? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109211)

jordan 572 10-05-2010 02:00 PM

High flow cat or cut off back two?

What should I do? I want a little more noise. What will sound better? Is there any advantages to one over the other? I would imagine the high flows would be louder than removing two correct? Either way I would still not throw a code, or would I?

WeeZee 10-05-2010 02:31 PM

Spend the money on a full exhaust, don't go broke dick bro. A full exhaust is well worth the money

LosXC451 10-05-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeeZee (Post 2406064)
Spend the money on a full exhaust, don't go broke dick bro. A full exhaust is well worth the money

high flow cats and a cat back or axle back is cheaper than a full exhaust

Cmurf_SS 10-05-2010 07:13 PM

Call me broke dick, but I went the route of an x-pipe and removed the resonators and 80lbs of muffler cans and mine is loud and very aggressive sounding at WOT. Idle and regular cruising is zero drone and very driveable.. Only downside is the decel pop.. But that is an acquired taste.. I can provide you a couple of vids of before and after for some sound comparison..

Before:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35986728@N07/4369597118/

After:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35986728@N07/4369591152/

DarricSS 10-05-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan 572 (Post 2405898)
What should I do? I want a little more noise. What will sound better? Is there any advantages to one over the other? I would imagine the high flows would be louder than removing two correct? Either way I would still not throw a code, or would I?

For more sound and no worries of codes all you need to do is resonator and muffler delete...

Most muffler shops will do this for AROUND +- 200 bucks...

jordan 572 10-05-2010 08:19 PM

I have the borla atak catback and don't want to hack into that. I would consider headers but like the idea of these bolt on HF for warranty reasons and no need for a tune with these unlike the headers. Cheap dick lol everyone is getting all huffy. Call me what you want. How much extra money did you have when you were 16?

caper 10-05-2010 09:32 PM

Haha, difference between being smart and being cheap. Muffler delete cost my 70. And is the same as a loud mouth exhaust,.that's just smart., x pipe it and now you have a cat back for a third the cost, again, smart. Throw on hf cats and booya, you just added about 15hp to the rear, and are now the loudest guy around , making more HP than the guys who paid double for a cat back, which adds 0 HP BTW. Is go that cat route, I know, because I already did everything I just wrote about...smart.

DarricSS 10-05-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caper (Post 2407981)
Haha, difference between being smart and being cheap. Muffler delete cost my 70. And is the same as a loud mouth exhaust,.that's just smart., x pipe it and now you have a cat back for a third the cost, again, smart. Throw on hf cats and booya, you just added about 15hp to the rear, and are now the loudest guy around , making more HP than the guys who paid double for a cat back, which adds 0 HP BTW. Is go that cat route, I know, because I already did everything I just wrote about...smart.

lol...:thumbup:

Had a guy at a car wash (Same car) show up and give me crap about not spending 2k on an exhaust. Was standing at the exit and had 2 people ask me if that was my car...and tell me how good it sounded. The guy with the 2k exhaust (mad cuz noone said anything to him) looked under my car and promptly told me that my exhaust looks like crap.

Told him to keep laying on the wet ground staring at exhaust pipes....makes him look more learned...:sm0:

And i got this driving away... :clap::headbang::clap: for 200 bucks...

jordan 572 10-13-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarricSS (Post 2408539)
lol...:thumbup:

Had a guy at a car wash (Same car) show up and give me crap about not spending 2k on an exhaust. Was standing at the exit and had 2 people ask me if that was my car...and tell me how good it sounded. The guy with the 2k exhaust (mad cuz noone said anything to him) looked under my car and promptly told me that my exhaust looks like crap.

Told him to keep laying on the wet ground staring at exhaust pipes....makes him look more learned...:sm0:

And i got this driving away... :clap::headbang::clap: for 200 bucks...

sounds like total :bs:. That's cool that you like your exhaust but I think the 2k exhaust is worth it. Call me stupid. I know I would go crazy with cut off exhaust.

Topdown 10-14-2010 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan 572 (Post 2439130)
sounds like total :bs:. That's cool that you like your exhaust but I think the 2k exhaust is worth it. Call me stupid. I know I would go crazy with cut off exhaust.

so, its worth 1800.00 to you to have an exhaust kit thats in pieces put together and welded instead of having the stock exhaust cut off clean and welded (or slipped together so you wouldnt see the cut)? I guess I dont understand because for that 1800.00 I could get high-flow cats, cold air intake and a tune...

So, what IS the difference between having a slip-together exhaust kit or a weld together exhaust kit, versus having a few custom pieces slipped on and/or welded? I mean, its all on the under side of your car and unless your 4" thick, I seriously doubt anyone is ever going to see it... so it cant be a "bling" factor.

caverman 10-14-2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan 572 (Post 2439130)
Call me stupid.

If you really want......I guess you said it.

From someone that has had both a muffler delete and a complete built cat-back....I will say that for the money the muffler delete is absolutley the way to go.

Do cat-backs like Borla or LG sound better. Well...that's all personal preference. Then again they are about $1k more.

For me I went with the muffler delete right off the bat because I had put as much money down to buy the car as I could and I knew I still had other mods I wanted to do like stripes, shifter, springs, etc. The muffler delete was a temp fix until I had the money to do a full exhaust.

I ran the muffler delete for a good 3,500 miles and it was great but would've been too loud for my taste with headers. If it weren't for me buying headers the muffler delete would still be on my car.

BTW: there aren't any cat-backs that I've heard of that cost $2k. Most are around $1k - $1200.

getarz4u15ster 10-14-2010 08:27 AM

I think someone just likes to boast about how much they've spent on their car, regardless of the stupidity displayed in their statements. Fact is, if you can make your car sound and run just as good as the guy who paid 8K, and you only paid 300bucks, your awesome. i say the man who paid 300bucks is using his head! I've learned just let the stupid people stay stupid, there's not point in trying to push a chain...

danhr 10-14-2010 08:48 AM

i like my $1,000 3" stainless steel exhaust

bmbbl be 10-14-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan 572 (Post 2405898)

if you have a l99 i have brand new solo high flow cats i am going to sell they are still in the box