Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   2011 Camaro. Grinds when shifting from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115613)

denster 11-15-2010 07:14 AM

2011 Camaro. Grinds when shifting from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration

I have read the very long thread on grinding on the 2010 models, and on the v6 cars, but I didn't see anything about the 2011 models having this issue.
I have a 2011 6-speed camaro and when I shift from 1st to 2nd under high acceleration, It grinds. Is there anything I can do about this?
Are there any TSBs specific to THIS problem? I read some other tsb's, but they wern't exaclty about this issue. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Mine is a 2011 2ss V-8 6 Speed. It started doing it when it was brand new(around 150 miles I tried it), and now it has 1100 miles and it grinds every time when shifting quickly from 1st to 2nd under high RPMs.

2010victoryred 11-15-2010 07:50 AM

i been feeling the same thing im also having other tranny problems and tired of goin back and forth with the dealer just gonna wait till it breaks hopefully im not too far from home lol :facepalm:

black11 11-15-2010 09:41 AM

I have the exact same problem. Seems to be much better when the tranny is warmed up. I've learned how to not shift it "too" fast and still make pretty quick shifts. it seems like it will grind when its forced a little too hard.

I'm waiting to see if GM ever releases any TSB for this before i get too worried about it. Tons of people have the same problem.

unix748 11-15-2010 09:59 AM

The 2011's aren't the only ones having problems although the dealerships aren't recognizing the problem.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97186

c_LoW29 11-15-2010 10:23 AM

I had the same issue on my 2010 v6 M6 I brought it to the dealer had the service manager take a ride with me duplicated the sound, they took it in ordered new 1st and 2nd syncronizers and now it doesnt do it at all. Plus after that issue I called customer service and complained asked them what they would do for me so they sent me a 60,000 mile 4 year warranty on top of my original warranty.

denster 11-15-2010 11:18 AM

I just called GM and discussed this problem. They took notes and gave me a case number. I asked her to search her database and see if she has any additional information about this situation. She searched and said there are no reported issues for this problem. I then had her call a dealership and speak to their service center. While she was on the phone, I explained this to the Service Center Manager at the dealership. He said he has never heard of this before. He said i'm welcome to bring it in if I want. As a side note, this is not the dealership where I bought it. That place has never heard of this problem either. The dealership that we called while the GM rep was on the phone was a larger chevy dealership. That's why we called them because the place where I bought mine was a smaller one. We thought we would have a better chance with a larger dealership.
GM also said there are no TSBs for this specific issue. She said there are others related to transmission issues of course, but nothing about the grinding from 1st to 2nd under heavy acceleration or high RPMs.
Now what? All I could recommend for everyone is to make sure you take your car to the dealership so at least there is a record of it. That way if something happens later down the road, you have proof that you had it there early on.

denster 11-15-2010 11:33 AM

I set my pic to show my ride. ....still looks cool. You just can't shift fast or you'll grind.

v6sonoma 11-15-2010 11:35 AM

At what rpm range does the problem occur? I've taken mine up to red and haven't had any issues so far. I have heard that changing to a synthetic like Royal Purple can help a lot with shifting.

denster 11-15-2010 11:44 AM

You have to shift pretty quickly to notice it, but it does it at high RPMs from 1st to 2nd every time. Somewhere around 5k or higher. I haven't ran mine up to red line, but I have been driving a stick all my life, so I can shift pretty quickly. If yours isn't doing it, then throw a party and celebrate, because from what i've heard, most people have this problem.

denster 11-15-2010 12:11 PM

I have an idea.... Since a lot of us are facing a similiar problem with GM telling us they never heard of this problem, and also when we take it to the dealer, they say they never heard of this problem.
How about we start posting the Contact Name and Contact information for the dealer and the service manager of the dealerships that have found AND DONE SOMETHING about this problem. then we can give it to our dealers when they get all stupid and say they have no idea what to do about this.

summitss/rsls3 11-15-2010 08:19 PM

nothing new here. i have a 2010 ss six speed car and i've had nothing but bad luck with the transmission(s) in it. First off the trans lost a bearing at 400 miles and had to have a new trans put in. after that the car would always grind on the 1 to 2 shift so after talking to the service manager a bunch they decided to take the trans apart and see what was wrong. They replaced the syncros and second gear and it still does the same thing. I have just learned to not shift as fast as i would like to, but every once and a while it will still do it if i dont remember to pause for a split second. Hopefully someday they will figure out why these cars do this and come up with a cure. I have had 2 different cobras before this camaro and i shifted them way faster and never had grinding so its gotta be a design flaw that GM hasnt mastered yet.

denster 11-16-2010 06:20 AM

I had a PM from someone and they said they had 1st and 2nd gear synchros replaced by their dealer and it fixed the problem perfectly.

mad@gm 11-16-2010 08:02 AM

For as long as the manual trans has been around for this is really sad that we can't have a better product by now, I would think that after gm almost disappeared from going bankrupt they would have built something better, my 2010 2SS/RS is a complete turd! Loaded with defects and missing options, trans problem included, and to make it all the better I can't get anything fixed, the most famous line I get is its operating as designed, well if thats the case then the design sucks!

afireinside 11-16-2010 05:43 PM

Man sorry guys.... my 2010 shifts fine though I am doing the first trans and diff change soon with amsoil. I do however hate the 1st to 4th at low RPM that locks me out of second lol