Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Who says Mustangs are for little girls? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18646)

DGthe3 04-15-2009 10:53 AM

Who says Mustangs are for little girls?

Apparently Ford does. From Autoblog: Report: Ford Looking for Younger Mustang Sallys with New Product

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....ink-ed-580.jpg

Ford has 45 years of Mustang domination under its belt, and the Dearborn, MI automaker wants to keep the streak alive by catering to every demographic from baby boomer motorheads to eight year-old girls. Sure, eight year-olds don't drive, but Ford wants to appeal to them with a new line of licensed merchandise called "Pony Girl for Mustang."

Ford will reportedly target two age groups for its new female-oriented Mustang gear: 8-12 and 13-16 year-old persuasion.The galloping horse will be prominent on everything from jewelery and cosmetics to home decor and apparel. Besides Ford's trademark Mustang emblem, the products will be adorned with more feminine decorations in the form of butterflies, flowers, and stars. If you're reading this and rolling your eyes, don't. Ford is happy to point out that according to its research, girls agse 8-16 pick the Mustang as their favorite car more than any other set of wheels on the road. If a Mustang branded glue stick t-shirt helps to foster more interest, then it can't be half bad, right?

You may be wondering why Ford would spend any time on toys and apparel when auto sales are in a tailspin. Ford brand director John Nens points out that branding gives Ford millions of dollars in low-effort revenue each year, with much of the work being done by toy and clothes manufacturers. He also pointed out to Horse Talk that Ford sold 160,000 Mustangs last year, and Mattel sold over one million.

fdjizm 04-15-2009 11:03 AM

here we go... lol interesting find though.

Morepwr 04-15-2009 11:28 AM

The new barbie mustang?:sm0:

KatarHol 04-15-2009 11:47 AM

Laugh all you want. Mild to wild,Ford knows what it's doing. There is no other car that can reach such a wide audience.

zebra 04-15-2009 11:53 AM

wasn't there something about a prostate cancer edition a few years ago?

Eddy9 04-15-2009 12:09 PM

Just got a new coffee mug........ says "Ponies are for little girls"!!! :sm0:

Eddy9 04-15-2009 12:12 PM

Why do all these Mustang people join the Camaro5 web site??? That's really sad! Go make your own Pony website!

zebra 04-15-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy9 (Post 407485)
Why do all these Mustang people join the Camaro5 web site??? That's really sad! Go make your own Pony website!

um... DG ain't a mustang boy.

and what does it matter if they're here, so long as they ain't just starting crap. wise strategerists know their competition

fdjizm 04-15-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Dear Eddy9,

Had i known sooner you were the owner of the internet i would have asked permission, please forgive me, and allow me to continue usage of your internet services :(

- fdjizm

KatarHol 04-15-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Because i'm not an idiot that only likes one car. Do you eat just one thing,drink just one thing,wear the same thing every day? God forbid someone likes variety.

Eddy9 04-15-2009 12:29 PM

Sorry for offending anyone! Enjoy the Camaro website!!!

BowtieGuy 04-15-2009 12:32 PM

Every girl wants a pony when they grow up...this is hardly news. Give Ford credit though, it knows how to milk the same thing over and over again.

DGthe3 04-15-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

We already have a thread talking about that, its in the new "Chevy Camaro vs .... " section.

1_2Many 04-15-2009 12:35 PM

This is very clever of Ford...I think they are on to something. The funny thing is I have always related Mustangs to girls too. If I see a Mustang drive by me I always try to get a peek at the driver just in case it's a hot chick...I just did this yesterday as a matter of fact.