Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I think I was profiled (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112515)

IPAINTBRIDGES31 10-25-2010 11:13 AM

I think I was profiled

So, I was heading from downtown St. Louis to my home which is roughly 25 miles south. It was 3:30 am Sunday morning. Roughly 2 miles into my trip I noticed a police officer in my review mirror. He followed me for almost 20 miles before pulling me over.

After pulling me over he never asks for liscense and registration, just asks what I was doing. I explain to him that I had gone to the Blues game earlier in the evening and was checking in on one of my projects that was going on downtown.

He says well you were speeding a little (68 in a 65). He then told me that since I was driving a "hot car" he was afraid I was going to run on him. So, he had called ahead to another officer for assistance.

I didn't recieve any citations or warnings, but the whole situation seemed extremely odd to me.

h2oplay 10-25-2010 11:16 AM

sounds like he just wanted to see your ride.... bored at 3:30 am

BackinBlackSS/RS 10-25-2010 11:20 AM

3:30 AM explains it all.

Scott@Bjorn3D 10-25-2010 11:21 AM

Could of also wanted to see if you had been drinking.

MillerTime 10-25-2010 11:22 AM

+1 is never do that, but that is what it seems happened...

Revo1 10-25-2010 11:23 AM

+1 on probably wanted to see that car. Not a good reason for pulling you over though- kind of a jerk move.

IPAINTBRIDGES31 10-25-2010 11:24 AM

Oddly enough while being followed I made a lane change around a slower moving vehicle. (roughly 50 mph in a 65). The guys driving was a little erratic as well and the officer stuck behind him for like a 1/2 mile. I figured the officer was pulling him over, but i look in my rear view to see him right behind me again.

I had a football coach in college that always told us nothing good happens after 11:00 pm.

lets_go_bills 10-25-2010 11:25 AM

Not much goes on at 3:30AM. He's just doing his job patrolling the highway. He saw a sports car, followed it for a bit and then pulled you over to check and make sure everything was okay. He was just doing his job and he's well within his right to pull anyone over for any reason.

HDDAN 10-25-2010 11:29 AM

I will let you in on something that the liberals do not want to acknowledge, profiling works. Flame on people, Duck proof, if it quacks, waddles, has a bill and feathers; it is probably a duck. The guy that bought the V-8 (me) is not going to drive it like a fart sniffing Prius driver. The guy in the bank wearing the mask with the gun is probably a robber. The guy in black with the backwards collar is probably a priest. When you are driving an attention getting vehicle like a gen 5 Camaro or a motorcycle, you can expect to get attention both wanted (hey man nice ride!) and unwanted(license and registration please).

xLoGiK1 10-25-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lets_go_bills (Post 2479373)
Not much goes on at 3:30AM. He's just doing his job patrolling the highway. He saw a sports car, followed it for a bit and then pulled you over to check and make sure everything was okay. He was just doing his job and he's well within his right to pull anyone over for any reason.

And what was the good reason in this situation? Just because he drives a brand new Camaro? :facepalm:

Let me know when you see a cop randomly do that to a Toyota Corolla at 3:30 a.m.

SSN8R 10-25-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lets_go_bills (Post 2479373)

Technically he needs cause. He MAY NOT pull someone over just because he 'wants' to. However, he definetly CAN pull someone over for any reason, he has the lights and gun.

SSN8R

Jayson9 10-25-2010 11:32 AM

Where abouts in St Louis? I used to tavel thru there on I70 all the time. The one of the worst areas IMHO is St Charles. Used to get speeding tickets there all the time..... on my way back to FT Campbell Ky.

x626xBlack 10-25-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPAINTBRIDGES31 (Post 2479319)
So, I was heading from downtown St. Louis to my home which is roughly 25 miles south. It was 3:30 am Sunday morning. Roughly 2 miles into my trip I noticed a police officer in my review mirror. He followed me for almost 20 miles before pulling me over.

After pulling me over he never asks for liscense and registration, just asks what I was doing. I explain to him that I had gone to the Blues game earlier in the evening and was checking in on one of my projects that was going on downtown.

He says well you were speeding a little (68 in a 65). He then told me that since I was driving a "hot car" he was afraid I was going to run on him. So, he had called ahead to another officer for assistance.

I didn't recieve any citations or warnings, but the whole situation seemed extremely odd to me.

Maybe he wanted to see if you were hot?:iono:

lets_go_bills 10-25-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 (Post 2479395)
And what was the good reason in this situation? Just because he drives a brand new Camaro? :facepalm:

Let me know when you see a cop randomly do that to a Toyota Corolla at 3:30 a.m.

Cop will likely pull over any car at that time of night. And yes, he can pull over anyone for any reason (check if they've been drinking, check if the car has been stolen, check if they have all their proper documents, check if there's illegal tint, the list goes on).