Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   GM 3.6 twin turbo.....with hybrid technology!!?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166222)

KMPrenger 08-19-2011 04:15 PM

GM 3.6 twin turbo.....with hybrid technology!!??

Its not a Camaro, its not even in production but its whats under this concept's hood that is very interesting to me...

"The spacious and elegant Ciel is a grand gesture that explores themes driving Cadillac’s explorations into range-topping flagship luxury. It is powered by a twin-turbocharged version of the 3.6-liter Direct Injection V-6 engine, paired with a hybrid system using lithium-ion battery technology."

Via Motortrend forums:
http://forums.motortrend.com/70/8773...ept/index.html

SIXJAK 08-19-2011 04:27 PM

Hmmm cool looking concept with an intriguing powerplant. Anymore to woo certain ppl you have to have the buzzword "hybrid" in the press release it seems. The important thing is twin turbo 3.6 and I bet that TT isn't using a Bosch ECU LOL

GretchenGotGrowl 08-19-2011 04:53 PM

Well, I hope the engine makes into some production car. If it is good enough for a Caddy, then the rumors about a TT V6 Vette may not be so far fetched.

brandotron 08-19-2011 04:55 PM

That boat needs TT to move! :laugh:

GretchenGotGrowl 08-19-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandotron (Post 3642360)
That boat needs TT to move! :laugh:

How much does it weight? I must have missed that.

rykeith 08-19-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 3642376)
How much does it weight? I must have missed that.

I think it's just a hunch...

This beast does look sick.

esperman 08-19-2011 05:14 PM

sweet.

GretchenGotGrowl 08-19-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rykeith (Post 3642403)
I think it's just a hunch...

This beast does look sick.

Ah, I see. I was wondering if it might be build on the Alpha platform and maybe give us some idea of what kind of weights we are going to see in the future. It looks big, but I wonder if it is using some of the recent frame/body tech that went into the Z06 to lighten up some. I would be nice if it was less than 3800 lbs, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

Padre 08-19-2011 05:31 PM

I'm also interested in the eAssist technology. The new 2012 Buicks with eAssist will get upwards of 37mpg with it. All it is is a brake-regenerated battery that powers a starter used in acceleration from a stop (something like 100ft-lbs torque). Think about how useful that would be in a V6 Camaro (or even V8) if you can increase the gas mileage by 25%+ without any harm to performance other than some extra weight in the trunk.

Padre

ZNOLMT 08-19-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padre (Post 3642529)
I'm also interested in the eAssist technology. The new 2012 Buicks with eAssist will get upwards of 37mpg with it. All it is is a brake-regenerated battery that powers a starter used in acceleration from a stop (something like 100ft-lbs torque). Think about how useful that would be in a V6 Camaro (or even V8) if you can increase the gas mileage by 25%+ without any harm to performance other than some extra weight in the trunk.

Padre

I agree. eAssist would be great, because it could be applied to current or future powerplants for extra mileage and extra power with minimal weight increases compared to a full hybrid system.

Li-ion batteries add TONS of weight to cars ... not good for a sports/performance car.

Another great technology is KERS. Porsche uses it in their Le Manz GT3RSR Hybrid. It uses NO batteries, adds over 100 additional HP on demand ... but I think the mileage increases are minimal. Volvo is adding a KERS to their production cars soon, that will work similarly to eAssist.

KMPrenger 08-19-2011 06:40 PM

I'm thinking this vehicle itself will never see the light of day besides in this concept form.

Many times, makers will use these concept to show they can do neat stuff design-wise, but also they will add some neat/futuristic tech. They can use the concept to test out the tech which may actually make it into a production vehicle.

So hopefully from this project we will see a TT V6.....and maybe even a hybrid version like if all this pans out, but probably not in a Camaro.

Blade 08-19-2011 06:50 PM

Is this the new 3.6 with the built in exhaust manifold? Kinda wondering how they are hooking up a TT to that new engine.

SteveRS 08-21-2011 07:21 AM

Its kind of a slap to those who already voided the warranty by adding a TT system.. thats not fair in my opinion.. I dont see how you can have "twin turbo" and "hybrid" in the same sentence.. I can only reference the new Taurus SHO with its TT ECOBOOST engine... but still not classified as a "hybrid" .. looks like a Retro 67 Eldo when i first saw it.. It sucks alot of these CONCEPTs never make it to real production. remember the Cadillac CIEN?? the Cadi-LAMBO.
http://images.wikia.com/gran-turismo...dillacCien.jpg

... I remember the Pontiac RAGEOUS.. that was a sweet lookin car..

Demon Hunter 08-22-2011 03:24 PM

Intriguing news indeed. I have an article posted about it on my blog with some more information and details about it:

www.RPMPerformanceBlog.com/CadillacConcept