Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Rattle Noise update (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301843)

BlueRay-J 06-14-2013 08:27 AM

Rattle Noise update

So I have had a rattle / tick noise from the rear. I posted an update in my other thread, but really want some feedback about the root cause... First dealer said they couldnt hear it, however it was very noticiable. Took it to a reputable dealer and this was the outcome...

Update:

Took it to Rodgers and they did great work. Its about 80% gone, but I'm not certain its even possible for them to fix it completely.

What they found was a missing pinch weld in the sheet metal in the passenger rear which was causing sheet metal to rub. How significant is this to the car's structure? The dealer used some sort of seam sealer to try and fix... not sure exactly. But will this cause more problems in the future? Why should I have to settle for a car that is missing something significant like this? Let me know what you think... is a missing pinch weld a minor issue and common? I want a different car, honestly because I'm concerned its going to just be a rattle trap for the life of it.... Maybe someone can educate me on true significance of this issue.

Rodgers is indeed an outstanding dealership and worth the ride. I met the tech who was riding around in the trunk to try and find the source of the rattle. He even had carpet burns on his elbows. I think they did what they could, but is it enough?

Michael Rophone 06-14-2013 11:31 AM

Mine was a random tapping sound from the rear, easily heard while idling.
It was most noticeable if you were next to a wall.
It sounded like roofers nailing shingles in the distance.
However, I couldn't hear it while driving.

Eventually, the sound went away. :cool:

Michael Rophone 06-14-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rophone (Post 6669820)
Eventually, the sound went away. :cool:

...when I sold the car. :thumbup:

HDRDTD 06-14-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRay-J (Post 6669156)
So I have had a rattle / tick noise from the rear. I posted an update in my other thread, but really want some feedback about the root cause... First dealer said they couldnt hear it, however it was very noticiable. Took it to a reputable dealer and this was the outcome...

Update:

Took it to Rodgers and they did great work. Its about 80% gone, but I'm not certain its even possible for them to fix it completely.

What they found was a missing pinch weld in the sheet metal in the passenger rear which was causing sheet metal to rub. How significant is this to the car's structure? The dealer used some sort of seam sealer to try and fix... not sure exactly. But will this cause more problems in the future? Why should I have to settle for a car that is missing something significant like this? Let me know what you think... is a missing pinch weld a minor issue and common? I want a different car, honestly because I'm concerned its going to just be a rattle trap for the life of it.... Maybe someone can educate me on true significance of this issue.

Rodgers is indeed an outstanding dealership and worth the ride. I met the tech who was riding around in the trunk to try and find the source of the rattle. He even had carpet burns on his elbows. I think they did what they could, but is it enough?

I doubt if a single missing pinch weld would result in any structural strength problem at all.

If it's on an inside seam somewhere, there's probably not much that they can do as far as re-welding it, so they're doing the best they can to minimize/eliminate the annoying sound.

Seam sealer should last the life of the car.

You should be just fine.

BlueRay-J 06-14-2013 09:21 PM

You don't live far from the dealer, do you go there? Or work there even? :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Chad 2012 RS 06-14-2013 09:55 PM

I've got the same rattle, same spot, only does it with top up. I've only had the car two weeks. I will bring this up when I go to the dealer. I contemplated having the wife drive it around the neighborhood with me in the trunk trying to isolate the rattle.
I HATE rattles!!! :mad:

Michael Rophone 06-14-2013 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad 2012 RS (Post 6672186)
I've got the same rattle, same spot, only does it with top up. I've only had the car two weeks. I will bring this up when I go to the dealer. I contemplated having the wife drive it around the neighborhood with me in the trunk trying to isolate the rattle.

If it does it while idling, like mine did, don't do a Houdini.
Just take it in and let the Service tech hear it. :thumb:

If you do get in the trunk, and she doesn't let you out, look for this and pull it...

Chad 2012 RS 06-14-2013 10:22 PM

Micheal,

I'm aware of the escape handle, that's the only reason I was willing to get in to let my wife drive me around. I was NOT going to let her be my only escape route. I'm worth more dead than alive, Hahahaha.

It doesn't do it while idling at a stop. I have to be moving but its the tiniest divet in the road that I hit that will cause it.

Michael Rophone 06-14-2013 10:41 PM

It doesn't do it in PARK? Check again.
OK. Then take the tech out with you.
Don't let them test drive it alone and come back saying they didn't hear anything.

Chad 2012 RS 06-14-2013 10:48 PM

No, definitely have to be moving and hit an un-level spot. If I have the stereo up at all it can't be heard...... That is until I heard it the first time. Now I can have the stereo selected to volume level 'Ear Bleed' and I can still detect it. Hahaha

Michael Rophone 06-14-2013 10:52 PM

Yep. like a tiny ding on the door. I can see it even when the car is dirty. :fear:

Chad 2012 RS 06-14-2013 10:53 PM

Exactly!

BlueRay-J 06-15-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad 2012 RS (Post 6672186)

Mine did it top up or down, but had to be in the backseat to hear it with top down.

BlueRay-J 06-15-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad 2012 RS (Post 6672373)
No, definitely have to be moving and hit an un-level spot. If I have the stereo up at all it can't be heard...... That is until I heard it the first time. Now I can have the stereo selected to volume level 'Ear Bleed' and I can still detect it. Hahaha

Yep! Once you tune into it, it will drive you mad.