Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   May go to a car show, silly question. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321233)

Ides of March 10-03-2013 09:24 AM

May go to a car show, silly question.

One of my wife's friends go to car shows all of the time, you sign your car in and leave the hood up type of thing. Now that I have my Camaro they said I should go to one. My question is this and if it is stupid I apologize. With the SS and Lz1 V8 models, would it be kind of stupid to go to a car show with the 2ls, V6. Or is it more of a check out the look of the car type of thing. My wife's friends are mopar heads, and her husband works and fixes cars which I do not. I was just wandering if it would be kind of stupid to do this, is it more of showing off the engine and who has more horsepower type of thing or is it to show off how beautiful the car is. I have only gone to local car shows to look really, my previous car was a honda accord lol.
And I am not by any means demeaning the camaro I have, or following the Just and LS thread, I just want to know if I do decide to go.

SNSSTR 10-03-2013 09:31 AM

Hey, if you think your car looks beautiful, go! It's a great experience regardless of whether you win anything or not. You're a car guy just as much as any of those other guys and gals out there. Partake in the fun and enjoy the experience!

vroomapunk 10-03-2013 09:32 AM

The bigger the show, the less you have to worry about how much power you have etc. I used to worry about the same thing when I had a V6.

But the truth is, usually, all are welcome. No matter the engine, some of the v8s there only put out 250hp anyway lol.

Either way, if you love your car, and its clean, bring it. Car shows are for car enthusiasts. Typically there isnt any discrimination.

Sure, we usually make fun of the guys who bring trucks, or a red 79 camaro with a blue door and duct tape on the fan shroud, but thats not you haha.

Kiteboarder85 10-03-2013 09:33 AM

People bring their 1LS's to car shows! Who cares, you enjoy your car and its still a Camaro. Just an FYI- its a ZL1 :)

Ides of March 10-03-2013 09:38 AM

LOL thanks guys. Yes my car is still clean, some fingerprints on the doors from my kids, my five year old likes the blue ray metallic and keeps wanting to touch the car. But other than that it's still pretty clean.
Ok that makes me feel better. These are just local shows at a restaurant or something like that. Nothing major. I'm definetely gonna like going more now that I have a Camaro rather than a 2001 Accord.

Ides of March 10-03-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiteboarder85 (Post 7059102)
People bring their 1LS's to car shows! Who cares, you enjoy your car and its still a Camaro. Just an FYI- its a ZL1 :)

Dammit!! I did that with the 2ls I was saying LS2. God I am such a newbie. Thanks for the heads up man.

SSMickey 10-03-2013 09:45 AM

Most are just an opportunity to hang out with like minded people. Go...you'll enjoy the experience and might even get some ideas on mods you want to do to your car. Shows are a great way to see what others have done to there cars.

Renee@SCP 10-03-2013 09:47 AM

I say go! Sure, most people go to show their cars off and win the awards but most importantly it should be about having fun.

Ides of March 10-03-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSMickey (Post 7059145)
Most are just an opportunity to hang out with like minded people. Go...you'll enjoy the experience and might even get some ideas on mods you want to do to your car. Shows are a great way to see what others have done to there cars.

Yeah that's totally why I wanted to go, to see mods and talk to other Camaro owners. I am hoping there is a Camaro get together near me in Pa soon. So far I just want to add fog lights.

ABMLS3 10-03-2013 09:47 AM

Nothing's worse then bringing a honda civic to a cars how and around here that's what most of the show consist of. Bring your car!

Ides of March 10-03-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee@SCP (Post 7059148)
I say go! Sure, most people go to show their cars off and win the awards but most importantly it should be about having fun.

That's what I was hoping it would be like, you just never know.

Ides of March 10-03-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABMLS3 (Post 7059153)
Nothing's worse then bringing a honda civic to a cars how and around here that's what most of the show consist of. Bring your car!

Right! I had an 01 Accord, which had a headlight out I never got around to replacing "ashamed" But yeah it would be in the far parking lot away from the car show vehicles lol.

AztecCamaro 10-03-2013 09:58 AM

I take my 2LT to shows every once an a while. Had a good time! The V8 guys did harass me a bit though lol

Kiteboarder85 10-03-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ides of March (Post 7059126)
Dammit!! I did that with the 2ls I was saying LS2. God I am such a newbie. Thanks for the heads up man.

Haha, its all good. Rather correct you now while you're new than later and get the worse half of the members to bash on you :welcome:

Mr.Jgunn65 10-03-2013 10:20 AM

Dude, Ive seen some people on this site with some lame ass Camaro's on this site win first place trophies. It's what's in your heart that matters. Just remember this.... determine who doing the judging at the show to see if you get a fair chance.

Del's12SS 10-03-2013 10:20 AM

I went to a local show a couple of years ago, came across a V6 Camaro.
The guy was very knowledgeable about his car, I was pretty amazed the V6 was putting out over 300HP.
My 03 Vette was rated at 350HP........ hell most of the fun cars I have owned over the past 25 years weren't rated at 300HP.
My discussion with him gave me the bug, the vette was gone and having a need for a back seat... it was a no brainer.

Maybe you will enlighten somebody?????

Ides of March 10-03-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiteboarder85 (Post 7059262)
Haha, its all good. Rather correct you now while you're new than later and get the worse half of the members to bash on you :welcome:

Appreciated. Thank you. Glad to be here.

Ides of March 10-03-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Del's12SS (Post 7059300)
I went to a local show a couple of years ago, came across a V6 Camaro.
The guy was very knowledgeable about his car, I was pretty amazed the V6 was putting out over 300HP.
My 03 Vette was rated at 350HP........ hell most of the fun cars I have owned over the past 25 years weren't rated at 300HP.
My discussion with him gave me the bug, the vette was gone and having a need for a back seat... it was a no brainer.

Maybe you will enlighten somebody?????

Nice. To be honest I am still learning about the engine and things like that. I really want to take car of it.
I do have a question about the V6 LLT and V6 LFX engine. what would the 2LS have, and what's the difference? Is it Manual vs Auto?

JR 1 10-03-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ides of March (Post 7059346)
Nice. To be honest I am still learning about the engine and things like that. I really want to take car of it.
I do have a question about the V6 LLT and V6 LFX engine. what would the 2LS have, and what's the difference? Is it Manual vs Auto?

The LLT was the V6 used on the 2010-11 Camaros, and Camaros from 2012 on have the LFX. The LFX is a newer design with a bit more power.

I'd say go to the show. Just don't refer to your car as an LS2 or call someone's ZL1 a 1LZ! :biggrin:

MyIBMssRS 10-03-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ides of March (Post 7059346)

The LLT was the old engine, newer LS and LT's have the LFX. Only the SS's are different depending on the trans.

Definitely go to the show. I never pop my hood and never try to win some cheep trophy. I just go to check out what everyone else has.

Ringo64 10-03-2013 11:07 AM

I won "Best of Show" for my class at a show with my Pontiac G6 GT Coupe, which is a mid-range trim/engine for the G6. That is the only time I've entered one of my cars, haven't had the time to do a show with the Camaro yet. They usually are a lot of fun to look around, chat people up and hang out regardless if you're in judging or not.

Regardless you'll have fun going!

savage4625 10-03-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohdeo16 (Post 7059098)
Hey, if you think your car looks beautiful, go! It's a great experience regardless of whether you win anything or not. You're a car guy just as much as any of those other guys and gals out there. Partake in the fun and enjoy the experience!

This is perfect

Dfault 10-03-2013 11:13 AM

Most of the times car shows aren't about who has the most power. It's about a gathering of gentlemen or ladies that share a common interest and just want everyone else to see their little bit of passion. A different side of them basically, and letting someones car express who they are. It's like sharing a tiny bit of yourself with the community without having to actually say anything. It's a beautiful thing and I believe anyone with something they're proud of should participate in any car show, even if you have to pay to participate, the funds usually go to a great cause.

Ides of March 10-03-2013 11:26 AM

Ok then I will go when they have the next one. Thanks for the help everyone.

Green Machine 10-03-2013 11:26 AM

I'm wanting to go to a show or two as well. I just got the car and its getting to the time of year when most of the regular shows slow down. I have noticed most of the cars in the one show near me consists of mostly older cars.

Sent from the road.

Ides of March 10-03-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Machine (Post 7059553)
I'm wanting to go to a show or two as well. I just got the car and its getting to the time of year when most of the regular shows slow down. I have noticed most of the cars in the one show near me consists of mostly older cars.

Sent from the road.

Yes which I love looking at. I always loved muscle cars since I was a kid with matchbox cars. In fact I have a collection of muscle matchbox cars still in a bag somewhere. I have to check to see how many camaro's I have lol.

SnoopyAce7 10-03-2013 11:47 AM

I took my LS to car shows, but never popped the hood. Just said there was a Boeing Turbine in there. I should've got that printed on one of those placcards...

Cincy10SSRS 10-03-2013 11:55 AM

I did some work on my car in the last year or so and kind of wanted to show it off a little this spring/summer. Not really with the intent of winning anything, just to see what other folks thought of what I'd done and see what others did to theirs. I ended up going to four shows, two as a participant and two just to look. I came away a little disappointed overall. Not about win/losing (I did win a plaque and a nice trophy) but that there were hardly any Gen5 Camaro's in any show I attended. Saw a ton of really sweet 50's-60's-70's cars, which I love, but was normally kind of the lone ranger with my newer model SS. Felt a little out of place. One HUGE exception was going to the C5Fest in Indy in August. That was awesome to see hundreds of killer newer (and a few older gens) Camaro's gathered in one place!

rebelyell22 10-03-2013 11:56 AM

Check out cars and coffee. I know there is one in Pittsburgh

DRKS1D3 10-03-2013 12:00 PM

Just go and leave the hood down. With a stock engine, there is really NOTHING to see.

jksynergy 10-03-2013 12:04 PM

GO!!! Take the wife and kids and maybe pick up a few ideas to do to your car. As long as you are having a good time, who really cares what's under the hood. We have had people say oh, it's just a V6. I always kindly ask why the remark and what do you drive? Most don't know how to reply and when they get the info on what the V6 is capable of, they appreciate it that much more. We have a friend who says the V6 cars aren't worthy. Really? He has a classic car with a V8 that came with less horsepower than our V6 did. Hmm, wonder what makes it not worthy?

Ides of March 10-03-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS (Post 7059643)
I did some work on my car in the last year or so and kind of wanted to show it off a little this spring/summer. Not really with the intent of winning anything, just to see what other folks thought of what I'd done and see what others did to theirs. I ended up going to four shows, two as a participant and two just to look. I came away a little disappointed overall. Not about win/losing (I did win a plaque and a nice trophy) but that there were hardly any Gen5 Camaro's in any show I attended. Saw a ton of really sweet 50's-60's-70's cars, which I love, but was normally kind of the lone ranger with my newer model SS. Felt a little out of place. One HUGE exception was going to the C5Fest in Indy in August. That was awesome to see hundreds of killer newer (and a few older gens) Camaro's gathered in one place!

Nice. Yeah most of the cars at the couple of shows I went to were older cars as well. I remember seeing some newer Camaros and Mustangs, a couple Grand Nationals too. I just love the look of the new Camaros. Looks like the batmobilie lol

Ides of March 10-03-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 (Post 7059666)
Just go and leave the hood down. With a stock engine, there is really NOTHING to see.

Yup that's my point. Nothing to show off really except the new model engine if someone wanted to see that.

Diode Dynamics 10-03-2013 12:12 PM

It's still fun to go just to talk to other car people!

I love going to car shows, I don't get to enter anymore since my car is in our tent, but I still make my rounds and ask owners tons of questions. I've learned so much from going to car shows, totally worth all the sun burns lol

Nick C.

Ides of March 10-03-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jksynergy (Post 7059685)
GO!!! Take the wife and kids and maybe pick up a few ideas to do to your car. As long as you are having a good time, who really cares what's under the hood. We have had people say oh, it's just a V6. I always kindly ask why the remark and what do you drive? Most don't know how to reply and when they get the info on what the V6 is capable of, they appreciate it that much more. We have a friend who says the V6 cars aren't worthy. Really? He has a classic car with a V8 that came with less horsepower than our V6 did. Hmm, wonder what makes it not worthy?

Bro, I'll say this. My 2001 Accord had a V6 in it. I don't know the HP or the details of the engine, it was fast. But with this V6 engine in this Camaro, the pickup and go in this car is crazy fast. I am going 60 mph down the street sometimes and until I look at the gauge I think I'm going 40, or look in the rearview and see how far back cars are from the light. This is by no means a mediocre engine, I'm not saying I am gonna put it on a track or anything but for regular driving I do feel more manly lol.

DefianceDan 10-03-2013 08:44 PM

It a car SHOW not a car RACE.....clean her up, show her off and have fun!

(umm....the Camaro....not your wife)

2012-1822 10-03-2013 10:32 PM

There are all sorts of classes at car shows, so make yours shine and go have a good time, meet good people

OHIOSS 10-04-2013 03:15 AM

If you want to go than do it for sure. I will warn you that there are sometimes some crotchety old men that may make some smart ass comments to you about your car.

Russ

ClawSS 10-04-2013 08:03 AM

Sorry, OP, but is this a car show or a meet? Attending a car SHOW does not require the car or the work involved. Competing does mean you should make an effort to try to win. "New" stock cars have difficulty competing against classics, so that is why there are/should be classes suited for your ride.

From my years of involvement the 94-96 Impala SS national level show community, I can see where the guys talking about good times and get togethers come from, but decide if you are competing or not. Clean it up, under hood and all. Take the time to wipe it down when you get there, clean the wheel wells, glass, dash seats, etc. as good as you have ever done in the past....park it with no shame and go have fun.

If you are only at the venue to look or discuss or to "party", then why worry about it. Park in a safe spot and allow room for the competitors. Sometimes space is limited. You are still there, still having fun, but no pressure.

Competing in a car show with a dirty car is like showing up to a black tie event in shorts and a tee shirt. It is not expected nor respected by those that do take the time to participate. An exceptionally clean and cared for camaro is just that regardless of the engine on display. You might be the only one there and draw more attention than you expect. I advise to make sure you are not ashamed of dirty hoses, fingerprints, dead bugs, or brake dust.

Also, real SHOWS are not at all about horsepower. They may be about bling based on judges, but not about horsepower. Plastic can never shine like chrome, but dirt is unacceptable.