Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First Day Back to Work! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585)

3whiterag 01-29-2007 06:48 PM

First Day Back to Work!

Well, today was my first day back to work and they have to retrain me because over the last year I have forgotten how to do it. The person I trained to do my job is now training me. Ironic isn't it? I can honestly say that over the last year I didn't give it much thought, well maybe after the first month. Had other things on my mind. Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. I cleared medical last week and they have placed me in the work hardening program. I will work 4 hours a day for two weeks, then 5 hours a day for two weeks and so on until I reach 8 hours a day. The job has changed from what I used to do so I should not be putting in the 11 to 12 hours days plus half day Saturday. Looking forward to a 40 hour work week. It did feel strange getting up at 4:30am. this morning after over a year of not having to get up. It wasn't so bad this morning and I slept pretty good last night. Usually on Sunday nights I had trouble sleeping before work. That's about it for now, Take care and don't forget, if you are over 50, ask your Doctor for a scope....It could save your life!!! Tom

Moose 01-29-2007 09:47 PM

Hope all works out just fine for you Tom, both with work and your health. :thumbsup:

3whiterag 01-30-2007 10:08 AM

Thanks again Ed!

CamaroSCG 01-30-2007 11:02 AM

That's good news Tom! :thumbsup:

Calvinball 01-30-2007 08:52 PM

whatever man, i gave you good wishes in that other forum, like i'm gonna here too...

:bs: on this guy!

hope the first couple days have been ok!

TAG UR IT 01-30-2007 11:42 PM

^^^ This must be an inside thing, because you've lost me here...............

Calvinball 01-31-2007 06:24 AM

i know him from another board, and i was pretending to be a d**k, then called bs on myself:thumbsup:

3whiterag 01-31-2007 09:49 AM

Glad you explained that because I didn't get it either!

WMCC Doug 01-31-2007 04:05 PM

I'm glad to hear you're doing better, 3whiterag.

I have been your same boat before. I was off from work for nearly 5 years and finally had a liver transplant, in 1990. I went back to work and worked the next 16 years, before I started to have some problems again. I worked at GM/Delphi and just took the early retirement offer. (Delphi wanted to get rid of all the old timers, and with my new liver issues, flowing back to GM was not an option for me.) Now, I'm trying to get by on less than half of what I was making when I was working. :(

Good lucK and continued good health to you, my friend! :thumbsup:

Calvinball 01-31-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3whiterag (Post 5903)
Glad you explained that because I didn't get it either!

:bonk: i'm a big poopyhead

3whiterag 01-31-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMCC Doug (Post 5926)
I'm glad to hear you're doing better, 3whiterag.

I have been your same boat before. I was off from work for nearly 5 years and finally had a liver transplant, in 1990. I went back to work and worked the next 16 years, before I started to have some problems again. I worked at GM/Delphi and just took the early retirement offer. (Delphi wanted to get rid of all the old timers, and with my new liver issues, flowing back to GM was not an option for me.) Now, I'm trying to get by on less than half of what I was making when I was working. :(

Good lucK and continued good health to you, my friend! :thumbsup:

Hi Doug! Thanks for the kind words. By the sounds of it, you have had your trials and tribulations too! I understand what you are saying about the reduced income. I had the same situation for the last year on S & A. Thank God we have it but it certainly is not what I was used to as far as pay is concerned and thankfully it was better than not receiving anything. I have come to realize that when I retire, I will not be able to afford the house I am in now. It is paid for but upkeep and property taxes are just too much. I don't see myself retiring in the near future since I will have two boys going to university in the fall, both in residence. I have 28.5 years seniority and I will definitely stay to get my 30 at least although I have been offered early retirement a number of times I have refused it. I want my full pension after all this time. Anyhow, thanks again and take care of yourself!!! Tom

3whiterag 01-31-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calvinball (Post 5928)
:bonk: i'm a big poopyhead

No problem Bud, sometimes it is hard to know what a person means when it is only typed and not in person. The humour does not show through and I am sure that happens quite frequently in every forum. Have a good one and take care, Tom

WMCC Doug 02-01-2007 12:42 AM

Tom,
You are right, these are tough times for auto workers. I had some very hard decisions to make, too. I could go on medical retirement (again) and take my chances being backed by Delphi, or I could go with the "grow into retirement" plan, and in about three years, "officially" retire and get my full pension. My benefits and retirement are now backed by GM, if Delphi should die. So I chose the later, but the money is substantially less than what I made working as a skilled tradesman. Especially with somewhat regular overtime. But, "ya gotta do what ya gotta do", I guess.

Good luck being back at work, and be careful!

Doug