Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Post the ignorant back handed crap people say to you about your Camaro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314503)

pincoin 08-22-2013 06:23 PM

PA is full of jealous people who spend all their money on beer, cigarettes, and gambling.
The minute you have something maybe a little nicer than theirs, the bad comments start.
I know as I lived it the last 49 years in this state. I cant wait to retire, and move south.

ben3350 08-22-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robotfighter (Post 6930137)
I got a lot of "You should have gotten the v8 - I would have gotten the v8" crap. And jealous friends with fat wives (and crappy lives) that drive mini vans of course accused me of going through a midlife crisis. Oh, and as expected, told me that Mustangs are far superior. Wait, there's also the comment that only scumbags drive Camaros.

Or as Jeremy Clarkson says, "Camaros are driven by murderers." :smiling1:

CFrance 08-22-2013 06:31 PM

Hadn't had too many negative things besides the usual "oh its a v6" but...

I parked a couple spaces from a really nice new bmw sedan the other day at the mall, while I was walking away a guy and his kid go by in a mini van.
The kid is pointing at the bmw saying it's a cool car, the dad stops him, points at my car and says "no, THAT is a cool car". :thumbup:

90503 08-22-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew9440 (Post 6929167)
I would first like to address that I did a quick search before posting and I didn't see any back-handed compliment threads. I figured I would start one. Every week at local car shows I run into somebody or hear someone making a back-handed compliment.

One time I am wiping the bugs off the front of my car when a fella walks up to me and says "hey buddy how come you didn't get an old Camaro" I say "because I wanted this Camaro" to which he replies "everybody has one of these Camaro. I must have seen 5 Camaro's that look exactly like yours on the way here today".

Another time I see a kid across a show field point to my car and sprint a good 50 yards across the field with his friends. He comes right up to the front of the car, looks at his friends with disappointment on his face and says "sorry guys...... it's only an SS, my bad."

Had a Corvette elitest come over and ask me about my car. he goes "hey have you ever drove your car back and forth to work". I respond "yeah I drive it whenever I can" he lowers his head into one of this hands wipes his face and says "thats just a god damn shame son.... a god damn shame"

all in all I get this garbage all the time and I was wondering what kind of back-handed compliments any of you guys have heard about your car.

Taking your car to a car show, you gotta expect a few critiques, not always positive....

Sometimes I just walk around like my car isn't mine and listen in to what people say...lol...Never heard anything really bad....Some like it, some don't...no biggie....

Best jab I heard from the crowd at the awards at the end of a show was when a newer Charger was one of the winners....Someone chirped out from the crowd...."Hey, how long did it take you to build it?"...

...Thought that comment had some validity...lol....Makes you think....a basically stock car off the show-room floor isn't gonna be an instant winner all the time and immune from some negative comments....

65TIMM 08-22-2013 06:38 PM

The only time I get negative comments on the car I have is at work. Its about 50/50 (positive-negative), and it doesn't matter what vehicle I've owned (mustang and vette in the past) . Although for some reason the Camaro has gotten more snide remarks, like its not a 69 (never said it was) and the " in a few years it will be a piece of crap". Last week a gal at work said her Honda si is so much better. And I'm really low key and don't talk about what I drive unless I'm asked. Hmmmm go figure :iono:.

Scooter11 08-22-2013 06:47 PM

I run into jealous messes all the time! People talk crap about my car, but then they find out that I know the Junkers they drive, and that shuts em up :thumb:

SteelCamaro 08-22-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crateish (Post 6929386)
Nobody has ever said a negative word to me about mine.

Nothing but compliments and jealousy.

Same here, must be something about the 45th! And the fact that when they hear my Flowmaster Outlaws, they know I mean business. :)

Rhyder 08-22-2013 07:59 PM

I must not understand what backhanded compliments are...sounds like straight up ditchin' to me..... :P

GM_guy 08-22-2013 07:59 PM

I've had nothing but positive feed back on the Camaro.

However, a few years back I owned an 05 GTO and had a classic moment at a gas station. I was filling up and older guy pops out from around the pump and asked me if that was the new GTO. He then proceeded to school me on why it's not a 'real' GTO. After my lesson he got in his new four door Dodge Charger and drove off.

FJ60 08-22-2013 08:12 PM

female co-worker: Your car screams mid-life crisis.

my response: Maybe. It certainly helps me get away quicker from the opinionated douchebags here.

(She rolled her eyes and walked away.)

Sugarfree135 08-22-2013 08:24 PM

I get a lot of bs about "everyone has a camaro" and my buddy who has spent thousands upon thousands of dollars boosting his civic says "I call them slowmaros"

I also had some hillbilly's at the car wash crawl out of their 80 something f250 and come over and spark up a conversation about it, the one tells me it's one of his dream cars then the question "how much horsepower?" Comes up, I say about 450 and the ones all "that's it!?" Lol like wtf are you driving that has more? 😜

My town is really gay though in the sense that no one is a "car" enthusiast they are a "whatever I'm driving at the moment and hate on EVERYTHING else" enthusiast. So basically every mustang, civic, sti, and evo is hating on you and trying to show off 😐

JohnnyBfromPeoria 08-22-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CH3VYRULZ (Post 6930003)
He said " Ya, fast nuff to gitcha dead " Whatever lol

That's actually a compliment to me.

Sort of off-topic, but a young man on a bicycle rode up to me today as I was getting in my car at a convenience store and asked how much my car cost me. I told him it was the cheapest model, around 23. His response: Thousand?

Right at that same time, a guy nearby started his old beat up looking Chevy II that sounded like he was hiding an underhood Roots blower and some really loud pipes. I had to lean past the math wizard to give the other guy a big thumbs up.

John B.

06_warrior 08-22-2013 08:31 PM

I never get any negative comments or negative reactions to my Camaro but with my bike being a Yamaha i get "nice harley" or what kind of "Harley is that" then i respond with "thanks" or "It's the newest Harley that just came out". Even if they did say something negative i would just reply "thanks" and go about my business. I really could careless if people like or dislike what i am driving/riding.

ogre 08-22-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJ60 (Post 6930594)
female co-worker: Your car screams mid-life crisis.

my response: Maybe. It certainly helps me get away quicker from the opinionated douchebags here.

(She rolled her eyes and walked away.)

haha! nice!

matthew9440 08-22-2013 08:46 PM

Jealousy! Going to the car shows def opens you up to some criticism. I love going though. A lot of people think that the car is really cool! There always has to be a freakin asshole.

One time I'm at a car show. There is a guy with an 04 cavalier with every accessory you can get at the Walmart automotive section. He goes by joe dirt..... Literally he introduces himself as joe dirt. He carries around a can of Pam cooking spray on his belt and shines his tires with it. I cannot make this shit up people. He comes up to me first time I ever met him. He says "my names joe dirt, I have a cavalier that looks a lot like a really sweet mustang. I could have had a camaro just like yours for how much I have into my cavvy. I got 7 grand in he car and another 7 g's in aftermarket accessories". I just said cool or something.... But I was thinking your gonna need another 25 grand to drive a car like mine but to each is own. Difference between me and a lot of other people is I'm not gonna hurt the poor guys feelings by dissing on his car in public. I'm just gonna do it on the camaro forum ;)

matthew9440 08-22-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1sicss (Post 6929833)
wouldn't expect anything else , most people who live in pa. are sqeeler fans. let the hatin begin GO BROWNS :laugh:

Right... Can't wait till the browns win a championship. Probably be a 25th generation camaro by then.

kevinw 08-22-2013 09:30 PM

i would tell anyone who makes an uncomplimentary comment to F off. if you dont have anything good to say, then shut the trap. whats with folks today? you know? its jealousy guys. they are jealous. thats it. unless they are getttin into a bmw, vette or porsche, their car is not what yours is, LS, LT, dont matter. and the comments on the v6, v8 are relative. so you got a ss, not ZL1? and if you got a ZL1, you didnt get a Z06 vette? and if you got a Z06 Vette, you didnt get a ferrari? where does it end? its silly. i still get compliments on my 98 firebird , red with chrome wheels. and i am looking at new v6 camaros, so, yeah, i am wanting a 6 and auto, not a manual zl1. but its the jealousy, MUST BE NICE attitude. those folks just have issues. motor on !!!

Danien 08-22-2013 10:42 PM

Never really got anything offensive, got a few "Oh, it's a V6" but I don't let it bother me. What does bother me(and probably me only lol) is people calling my car the Batmobile because it's black. I will admit the time I rolled up to my friend's house one time and his little brother came up to me wide eyed and just looked at me and said "....THE BATMOBILE" didn't do anything but make me smile :laugh:

Bsf7 08-22-2013 10:42 PM

worst comment....nice looking challenger :iono:lol

06_warrior 08-22-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danien (Post 6931282)
Never really got anything offensive, got a few "Oh, it's a V6" but I don't let it bother me. What does bother me(and probably me only lol) is people calling my car the Batmobile because it's black. I will admit the time I rolled up to my friend's house one time and his little brother came up to me wide eyed and just looked at me and said "....THE BATMOBILE" didn't do anything but make me smile :laugh:

I've been told that also about my car. It's black on the outside and inside. I even had the wheels Plast-dipped but took that off last month.

45thCamaro 08-22-2013 10:56 PM

"How could you not get an SS?" Or "AHHHHH you got a 6? That's a waste." Those are probably the most common I get. And I respond with "it was what I could afford, do you want to give me an extra 10k now and ill go trade it in to please you?" Never get any takers.

SSE 4 2SS 08-22-2013 11:05 PM

Bout the only negative I've ever heard was from a guy in a Prius or something like it... Nasty comment about my carbon footprint... So I replied yup, I'll show you a carbon footprint... And laid it down with parallel tracks... They may still be there... Oops, sorry, he caught me in a bad mood...

One time at a car show, there was a polished Maggie car on one side of me and a Kenne Belle car on the other... Most of the "gear heads" would eww and ahh over the other cars and glance under my hood and walk on... The two other cars are owned by friends of mine... They were steering the "gear heads" back to mine stating the power difference... I had 200 rwhp over both of them... They never figured it out... Then up walks a 17 or 18 yo kid... He glances at the blower cars, looks under my hood... Shakes his head, starts to walk away... Then turns back, looks closer, the practically dives under the hood, without touching the car... We three are grinning... The kid looks through the grill, then smiles, turns to us and asks..." Where they at... I can't see them but I know they are in there..". Now the four of us had a great conversation... Very very sharp kid... Reinstilled my faith in future car enthusiasts...

AdamEL 08-22-2013 11:08 PM

I've posted this on here a few times. The first day or two that I had mine and drove to work, one of my co-workers came out to look at it and said, "That's not a REAL Camaro". Of course, he was talking about the fact that it's a V6. He has a 1980 Ford truck that you have to push down a hill to start... Literally.

But other than that, it's nothing but compliments on my beautiful ride. I love being behind the wheel.

Bob1475 08-22-2013 11:17 PM

I dunno, my SS gets alot of compliments, but for some reason also seems to piss some off. There's this guy that lives around the corner and every time I drove by he puts his hands on his hips and yells something stupid....like slow down!!! Last time he yelled I backed up and asked him what his problem was...Seems he confuses loud exhaust with speed. I told him the speed limit was 30mph and I was doing 21. He did'nt get it. Soooo, I told him I violated my own rules.. He said "what rules", I say "NEVER APPROACH A BULL FROM THE FRONT,A HORSE FROM THE REAR OR A JACKASS FROM ANY DIRECTION" NUFF SAID!!!!!!

Bsanf21 08-22-2013 11:22 PM

I get "orange, why orange?" "Its what I like." It's ugly. Then they go get into their whatever car and putter away. I dont care who doesnt like it, I LOVE IT!