Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Can't stop looking at cars..... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267674)

naSSty1 12-26-2012 05:10 PM

Can't stop looking at cars.....

Ever since I went window shopping for a ZL1 a couple months ago I have been having some major dilemmas. I love my SS and thought that I wanted an upgrade so I went looking at a ZL1. After much deliberation, I just stepped back and decided to keep my SS and just add some fun parts. Reason being; I figured if I was going to spend that much money on a camaro why don't I just buy a corvette. Well, that is all I have been looking at lately. Really have my eyes on a 09 Z06. Any of you find yourselves having these issues now or in the past. I know there are some Vette owners in here so I was just curious what made them decide. Are they that fun to drive? Ive never had the pleasure.

I probably should have posted this in the Off-Topic Discussion area.

bshown 12-26-2012 05:20 PM

I went from a 2011 SS to a 2012 base Corvette coupe. My gas mileage went up, my fun level went up, and the roof comes off. Not to mention for me its more practical than the Camaro. My golf bag actually fits in the hatch vs the Camaro trunk opening. If you can do some researching, there are some great deals to be had on left over 2012 across the board from Coupe to Grandsport to Z06. The 2014 Corvette is going to be much different and will be unveiled 1-13-13 so you could wait for that also. But IMO with the rebates on 2012's the way they are you cannot go wrong. The C6 is a great car IMO. Especially 2012 up.

LimaCharlie 12-26-2012 05:22 PM

I say keep your SS and build it to beat Z06's (handling and acceleration). Personally, I get attached to my vehicles and can't keep replacing cars every ~2 years like some people do. It would be cooler to say you built your car anyways.

pyr0b0y 12-26-2012 05:24 PM

If space isn't an issue, I would opt for a Z06. This was another vehicle I was considering instead of the Camaro....when I was looking at 4-seater cars. You can't go wrong with a Vette. Now that I only have 2 seats, I wish I had gotten a Z06, although it's a pretty cool feeling when I pass Z06s and ZR1s!

ChrisBlair 12-26-2012 05:46 PM

Here's a thing to consider, in short story format

For many years- over twenty, a classic muscle car was my daily driver. Huge mill, big tube header exhaust, big fat tires and everything

I bought a new car. A sportscar. It was awesome fun. Had the power to weight of my 1SS, with a 2.0L engine that had good tech. RWD, two seats, small, good mileage, over 30 on the highway. Lots of fun. It was called the 'grin machine' before 5th Gens were out. Sometimes I used to giggle driving it.

But deep down, I am a muscle car guy. You know what? I felt like a douche listening to Hendrix or Zep in my sportscar

I traded that in and bought my Camaro partly out of need. But you know something, even though I do not drive a car with no roof anymore, and it gets worse mileage, and it doesn't have as high a specific output as 145 bhp per liter, and my 1SS is actually not as much fun to just get in and drive as my sportscar was, I prefer on the whole driving my muslce car. I am at ease in it. I just prefer it overall

The muscle car is "me". The sportscar didn't miss the mark by much, but it wasn't 'me'

ChrisBlair 12-26-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bshown (Post 5958609)
My golf bag actually fits in the hatch vs the Camaro trunk opening.

Who are you, Al Czervik? :D

I can fit a hard rifle case in my Camaro's trunk....actually that was part of the reason I bought it, lol

Zyklon-SS 12-26-2012 06:01 PM

If GM doesn't make a LS7 Camaro by 2014, A 2010 Z06 will definitely be my next car!

Titan 12-26-2012 09:07 PM

I love my 2012 Camaro 1SS L99. But part of me regrets not waiting and getting a vette instead. I guess that I will have to save the pennies and get that next.

Forte 12-27-2012 10:45 AM

I'm much happier with how the current gen of Vette's are than the 2000's vettes. They just felt so cheap when sitting in them. These new ones, especially the z06's, are just works of art.

That said, I'll take my Camaro any day :)

Roll_the_Dice 12-27-2012 10:49 AM

I always look at cars, no matter what I am driving. When I test drive cars, that is when I know I am ready for something new. I don't ever get attached to a vehicle, but I enjoy them as much as I can when I drive them. I owned an 07 C6 vette before I got my Camaro. It was a blast, but I wish I would have gotten the Grand Sport. Something about it was just awesome and better than a base model C6. I did not like the targa top. It was cumbersome and not nearly as easy as a vert to take off/down. If I get another it will be a vert. Anyway, drive the Z06 and see how you like it. You may or may not (you will). I really needed 4 seats, that is why I sold my C6 for the Camaro. If you don't then the Corvette will be great. I love the stance of the Z06 and it is a great car to drive.

All this says is do what's in your heart and fits your wallet. if it is a modded SS, keep yours. If it is an 09 Z06, then do it and don't regret it. I personally am waiting on the C7 vette to be unveiled, then will decide what to do for a next vehicle down the road. There will be some great deals on 12's once the new vette is released.

TCAT 12-27-2012 10:52 AM

I would love to own both, but that's not in the cards yet. I have spent too much on my Camaro to let it go (I have still spent less in total between the car and mods than I would have on a new Corvette out of the door with tax, license, and registration) , but I still drool over the vette's. I truly love everything about those cars, but I have also loved Camaro's since I was a kid. I don't blame you one bit for looking at vette's. I

Blue17CamaroZL1 12-27-2012 11:04 AM

I know what you mean OP. I got my SS last year. Then earlier this year my gf picked up a 2013 Vette 427. So I've been on cars.com looking at Vettes and other Camaros.

JimAlan 12-27-2012 11:25 AM

I've always wanted a Corvette. I'm 6'5" 275lbs, average tall? Been looking at Corvettes, just could not pull the trigger and buy the base model. Kept waiting. Well, they shortened up the ****pit and now my head, no matter how adjust the seat, keeps hitting the roof. Began looking at the Camaro. Not happy with the sound of the SS and only drove the auto since the wife would want to drive occasionally. A friend purchased a ZL-1 took me out for a show and tell! OMG He explained the exhaust options and the 1-LE. I finally drove a 1-LE and fell head over heals!! Feel sorry for the wife, she hates to drive manual! I have tons of head and leg room. ENJOYING my new 1-LE!

amz 12-27-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBlair (Post 5958677)
Here's a thing to consider, in short story format

For many years- over twenty, a classic muscle car was my daily driver. Huge mill, big tube header exhaust, big fat tires and everything

I bought a new car. A sportscar. It was awesome fun. Had the power to weight of my 1SS, with a 2.0L engine that had good tech. RWD, two seats, small, good mileage, over 30 on the highway. Lots of fun. It was called the 'grin machine' before 5th Gens were out. Sometimes I used to giggle driving it.

But deep down, I am a muscle car guy. You know what? I felt like a douche listening to Hendrix or Zep in my sportscar

I traded that in and bought my Camaro partly out of need. But you know something, even though I do not drive a car with no roof anymore, and it gets worse mileage, and it doesn't have as high a specific output as 145 bhp per liter, and my 1SS is actually not as much fun to just get in and drive as my sportscar was, I prefer on the whole driving my muslce car. I am at ease in it. I just prefer it overall

The muscle car is "me". The sportscar didn't miss the mark by much, but it wasn't 'me'

Well said.
What you say here, is something very hard to explain to a person who has not owned a muscle car. I have friends with nice BMWs,Japanese coupes etc etc , and they JUST DONT GET IT.
They get the specs and numbers , but not the soul.