Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   These forums scare me! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291629)

ForrGump 04-26-2013 06:39 AM

These forums scare me!

:confused0068:

TMI or not enough?
As a recent new purchaser of a 2012 vert I have read many many posts about problems, issues...etc. In contrast, I have also read a few positive posts concerning convertables. I do realize that the majority of satisfied customers will, most likely, never visit or post in these forums.

My question is, where do I find the date of manufacture for my vehicle? I ran the VIN number only to see that it was built in Canada but no date. My concern is if my new car was built in the later part of the year in the hopes that some of these issues I have read about concerning convertables have been taken care of.

VIN: 2G1FK3DJ6C9161545

Thanks

MMC 04-26-2013 07:09 AM

The date is on the drivers door plate. The RPO codes and workbench order number is in the trunk, drivers side under the mat. :chevy:

tonyko1 04-26-2013 07:39 AM

Yes, one satisified customer may tell one person, but an unsatisfied one will tell 100.

My top is fine, was produced in 1/12.........supposedly, all 2012's after 4/12 were where the "Fix" was done for the top. Whatever.

I too am glad I didn't see this forum before getting my "vert". It would have scared me away as well. Now I look at every ragtop, regardless of make. It is a flexible thing, not rigid steel. As long as mine seals correctly, I am happy. I don't have but a crease that disappears after a day with the top up and no "worrisome wear marks".

I am going to enjoy the car and if I have to replace the top, so be it. Car looks so cool with the top down, can't imagine my car with a hardtop.

HDRDTD 04-26-2013 07:47 AM

If you want a general idea of when the car was built, open the hood, on the passenger side, look down at the frame rail. There should be a stcker on the frame rail with a date on it. It's actually the date that particular sub-assembley was made, but it should be within a few days of the cars overall build date.

ForrGump 04-26-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyko1 (Post 6471609)
I am going to enjoy the car and if I have to replace the top, so be it. Car looks so cool with the top down, can't imagine my car with a hardtop.

Agreed. The car is mine now and it too will be enjoyed.
I hate to learn from others expense especially when this expense comes with frustrations and aggrevations.
Let's just say that my "awarness" is at a heightned state concerning potential issues.

Also, thanks for DOM info. I'm out of town currently and will check out the date upon my return.

FG

walters477 04-26-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyko1 (Post 6471609)
Yes, one satisified customer may tell one person, but an unsatisfied one will tell 100.

My top is fine, was produced in 1/12.........supposedly, all 2012's after 4/12 were where the "Fix" was done for the top. Whatever.

I too am glad I didn't see this forum before getting my "vert". It would have scared me away as well. Now I look at every ragtop, regardless of make. It is a flexible thing, not rigid steel. As long as mine seals correctly, I am happy. I don't have but a crease that disappears after a day with the top up and no "worrisome wear marks".

I feel the same as you do, mine was built 8/11 we had 10,000 trouble free miles until I put something in the truck that interfeared with the fifth bow. Had to have that replaced plus they put the water bag in and did it all under warranty even tho it was my fault. I think to many people are bashing the camaro convertible, I would drive mine even if it didn't have a top. Love the car

Angrybird 12 04-26-2013 12:54 PM

I'm happy with my 2012 Vert that was built in August 2011.

If you want a exact date you can check out this thread,
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291671

You can also ask your dealer to get the build sheet for your car if you bought it new.

pannhead51 04-26-2013 03:26 PM

I love my vert.... no complaints. :thumb:

Baba 04-26-2013 03:30 PM

Sticker on the inside, door jam will give you the month and year built. You can go to your Chevy dealer's service dept. and give them the VIN and ask them to print a "build sheet" for you which will have the RPO codes (of all the equipment that your vehicle came with from the factory) and it should give you the DATE on which your Camaro was built (date, month & year).

Very happy 2011 'vert owner here. Aside from the "wave" in the top, bilaterally and a loose-fitting brake reservoir cap which I had replaced under warranty last week, I've not had any problems of any kind, thus far. Very, very happy with my 2011 Camaro Convertible.

Bcarr 04-26-2013 10:14 PM

My build date for my 2012 is 11/11. I haven't had any problems yet. Knock on wood of course...

DFWHD 04-26-2013 11:19 PM

My vert was born on April 13, 2012 and I've got absolutely no top issues. I love it more each day I get to drive it

vanlieremead 04-26-2013 11:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Guys,

I also bought the vert before reading through these forums. And I have had the 5th bow break and a new top. But I still love the car. I've had it 2 years now and it runs better (or as well) than new. I love it when the dealer writes 'alignment perfect' on the checks. And the car fits me well.

I still have people today give my red jewel looks and comments. And I look at all kinds of other tops and they all have problems, one way or another. The Stang tops are vinyl, ours are a nice cloth which I preferred when I purchased the car.

I hope I didn't overload you with too many pics.

babytiger 04-27-2013 08:30 AM

We never had a minutes trouble with ours.
And remember these forums consist of .01% of actual owners. (give or take)
Like others have said, people always complain if given the opportunity.

davidcroft 04-27-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForrGump (Post 6471486)
:confused0068:

My question is, where do I find the date of manufacture for my vehicle? I ran the VIN number only to see that it was built in Canada but no date. My concern is if my new car was built in the later part of the year in the hopes that some of these issues I have read about concerning convertables have been taken care of.

VIN: 2G1FK3DJ6C9161545

Thanks

Your car was built on January 4th 2012.

You've had your airbag light reprogram/recall done and you've had a daytime running light bulb replaced under warranty!:thumb:

Don't worry about all the issues. Some people on this forum are more picky than others and demand a recall when a grasshopper took a dump on their hood and caused a microscopic clear coat peeling:sad0147:

I'm obviously exaggerating. Enjoy your convertible and you have lots of warranty left!!