Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   RPI flaps vs Clear Bra to prevent stone chips (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114975)

Agent WD-40 11-10-2010 12:55 PM

RPI flaps vs Clear Bra to prevent stone chips

For those that have done one or the other (RPI flaps or Clear Bra) to prevent stone chips behind the wheels and on the side gill area, are you happy with your choices?

Is a clear bra really going to be that much better than the RPI flaps? For $50 the flaps seems like a much more economical option- but I did read some concerns they wouldn't hold up well over time because of the way they were mounted. I don't want to waste money on the RPI flaps if a clear bra is really the only way to go.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

67 Convertible 11-10-2010 01:02 PM

I was getting "sand blast like" marks on my gills. I bought and installed the GM splash guards from www.gmpartsdirect.com The gill chips have virtually stopped. The clear bra will stop chips on the front, but not the gills. There are clear bra type pieces that you can put on the gills, but the splash guards seem to be working for me.

I don't know what RPI flaps are??? :iono::iono:
The GM splash guards come prepainted and can be installed yourself in less then an hour. I paid about $160 shipped last year.

Agent WD-40 11-10-2010 01:11 PM

http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1815 <-- RPI flaps (smaller and fairly unobtrusive looking)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...lth+mud+guards

Agent WD-40 11-10-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Convertible (Post 2534193)
I was getting "sand blast like" marks on my gills. I bought and installed the GM splash guards from www.gmpartsdirect.com The gill chips have virtually stopped. The clear bra will stop chips on the front, but not the gills. There are clear bra type pieces that you can put on the gills, but the splash guards seem to be working for me.

The GM splash guards come prepainted and can be installed yourself in less then an hour. I paid about $160 shipped last year.

Do you have the part number?

67 Convertible 11-10-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 (Post 2534231)
Do you have the part number?

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=92214930

Each color is a different part number. If you seach around under accessories, you will find the list of colors.
I don't care for the looks of the RPI flap, but I'm sure it would work.

Midwest Tinting 11-10-2010 04:26 PM

The Xpel paint protection film is by far a much better choice, it also comes with a 7 year warranty. Your car would be protected at all times even in instances where RPI flaps would not be able to deflect. You could do your fenders, gills, and your rocker panels as well.

Chadwicke 11-11-2010 03:29 PM

I have the GM splash guards, and still got a chip right behind the gills.
I ended up buying the Cleartastic film made specifically to go right in front, behind, and under the gills. The gills themselves are left uncovered but I have not had any rock chips since. Plus the Cleartastic film was, I think, half the price as the splash guards.

Just like a previous post, my vote would go for the clear film. There are plenty of different kinds out there that will certainly help with the rock chip issue. Just my 2 cents.

Hope that helps.

htp autoworks 11-12-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Convertible (Post 2534193)

Actually paint protection film will stop rock chips anywhere on the car. All it has to do is be aplied.

hypurone 11-12-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htp autoworks (Post 2540559)
Actually paint protection film will stop rock chips anywhere on the car. All it has to do is be aplied.

:thumbsup: and I can attest to it. :thumbsup:

Agent WD-40 11-13-2010 07:22 PM

Well I'm going to try some paint protection film. One of the local shops that does Xpel paint protection film "rock chip" package that covers rocker panels, behind the front and rear wheels and the gill area. They said it was about $600 installed. I'm going to give that a try.

EastBayBossMan 11-14-2010 03:43 AM

I got 3M film on the front fascia, A-pillars, side mirrors AND gills. Blends in pretty well with the lines of the car. No chips after 3,000 miles.

Agent WD-40 11-18-2010 11:53 AM

Anybody know a good clear bra installer in the Metro Detroit area? I don't really want to mess with this sort of install myself.

Chadwicke 11-18-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 (Post 2558126)
Anybody know a good clear bra installer in the Metro Detroit area? I don't really want to mess with this sort of install myself.

I had my front end done by Paintshield. Greg is the installer's name.

He is located in Wixom, which is a bit of a drive, but he does great work.

His website is www.paintshield.net

Agent WD-40 12-16-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadwicke (Post 2558496)
I had my front end done by Paintshield. Greg is the installer's name.

He is located in Wixom, which is a bit of a drive, but he does great work.

His website is www.paintshield.net

I just got my car done by Greg. Great results! He did an awesome job. He matched the edges to body lines where possible and/or wrapped the edges in around the body panels to conceal them.

I ended up getting my lower chin spoiler on the front bumper, head lights, fog lights, rocker panels, bottom of the doors, larger sections behind the front and rear wheels, and the entire gill area in front of the rear tires.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up. If you are in South East Michigan, I would recommend him.