Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   LS3 or L99 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8135)

crsz28 10-13-2008 06:56 PM

LS3 or L99

Just wondering everyones thoughts on the two SS models. And why they would get the LS3 or L99.~422 hp for me. I think

Jamestwilliams 10-13-2008 07:03 PM

Nothing to do with horse power, I miss driving stick shift, and an auto Camaro just doesn't seem right to me.

Mr_Draco 10-13-2008 07:10 PM

L99 for me because I can't drive a stick and because 75% of my driving is stop and go between red lights every 1/4 mile.

CamaroSpike23 10-13-2008 07:11 PM

do a search... there's plenty of threads about this.

the reason the L99 comes with less hp is due to the AFM. and no im not going to explain how AFM works, you can do a search and find the info.

MajorTom 10-13-2008 07:54 PM

I like how you make this poll and forget to mention anything of transmission choice as it's the main factor that will make people decide between the two.

And like the first response said. I wouldn't let HP decide which transmission you go with. If you want an automatic get an automatic. If you want a stick get a stick. If you think you'll hate driving a stick for whatever reason, don't let 22hp change your mind into getting one.

But as I've said before, if you've never driven a high performance stick shift car, learn to drive a stick, and test drive one to see if how you like it. If you ask me it's the only way to go.

DGthe3 10-13-2008 08:20 PM

Its going to come down to where I'm working when I order my Camaro. If I have a nasty commute, L99. If not, LS3. The $995 won't matter and neither will the 22 hp.

Cole317 10-13-2008 09:48 PM

I'm sorry but i have a couple questions, yes ive searched but im really confused now..
1-Is launch control only available on the MT? im pretty sure this is a yes, but the new GT-R is paddle shift and it has launch control (doesnt have clutch pedal...i think)
2-Is the limited slip diff only for manual?
3-Can you get the 4 pack gauges in the automatic?
thanks i really appreciate it!

Jamestwilliams 10-13-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole317 (Post 157219)
I'm sorry but i have a couple questions, yes ive searched but im really confused now..
1-Is launch control only available on the MT? im pretty sure this is a yes, but the new GT-R is paddle shift and it has launch control (doesnt have clutch pedal...i think)
2-Is the limited slip diff only for manual?
3-Can you get the 4 pack gauges in the automatic?
thanks i really appreciate it!

I can answer number three with a resounding yes. The four pack gauges are standard on the 2LT and 2SS, for everything else they are a dealer install item. I think the limited slip is only for manual on the LT and LS, I believe (disclaimer could be wrong) it is available on all SS models. Don't have a clue about number one without doing some reading.
ps. I know launch control is available on the manual SS's for sure for the rest of the cars you got me.

By the way never apologise for asking questions I mean what are you Canadian?

RallyFever 10-13-2008 10:02 PM

L99 for me

22 less HP, but faster times 0-60 and 1/4 mile due to efficiency of tapshift "shift points"

Plus, I'm handing this down to my son when he gets his license.

Jamestwilliams 10-13-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyFever (Post 157254)
L99 for me

22 less HP, but faster times 0-60 and 1/4 mile due to efficiency of tapshift "shift points"

There's a thread somewhere showing new numbers from GM testing the auto didn't beat the manual. But that really shouldn't come into it they are both very close in performance, it should come down to what you personally prefer.

headpunter 10-13-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyFever (Post 157254)
L99 for me

the manual is faster o-60 now...

RallyFever 10-13-2008 10:08 PM

Anyone have a link or reference to the new 0-60 numbers?
What about 1/4 mile? Has that improved as well?

headpunter 10-13-2008 10:12 PM

well Big Al Oppenhieser said he personally drove it to 4.6 sec when we talked to him at indy he also said that with more tweaks it could be faster. also talking to john cox aka johnnycamaro I found out that Al had driven an ss with a hurst short throw installed, i dont know if thats how he did the faster time or not.

RallyFever 10-13-2008 10:15 PM

Sounds like they are near dead on at this point and preference is the only deciding factor.

I have always believed that a sports car should be manual, but I ordered the MXO this time - -only time will tell.

If tapshift was not an option, I would have went with manual.

I guess the good thing about the L99 is that if less folks order it, the easier it will be for GM to fill the demand. (fingers crossed)