Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   CGM paint is about 4 different shades of gray! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38182)

jwlflyer 08-19-2009 01:22 PM

CGM paint is about 4 different shades of gray!

When my car is clean and in direct sunlight it looks like the car is painted 4 different colors. The front and rear fascias are more of a blue tint compared to the hood and body which seem to have a greenish tint. The mirrors are more silver and the gas door is darker gray. The doors are also a couple of shades different than the body panels. Anyone else notice these color variations or am I just really anal?

tjbusa 08-19-2009 01:41 PM

Sunlight illuminates the blue metalflake and shaded areas will look different. Post up some pics to see what your talking about.

WySS 08-19-2009 02:15 PM

Thats horrible! Does your paint also look totally different at night? :sm0: Its normal for your paint to look different, the drastic angles of the car cause wierd shadowing and such. Your seeing the metallic flake reflect in high light areas while those that are shaded are not reflecting causing them to appear darker and more dull. Its a non issue.

rolnslo 08-19-2009 02:26 PM

You aren't the first to complain about this. The Inferno Orange Metallic, Red Jewel, and Imperial Blue cars seem to be having some similar issues (not all of them, just some). The fascias (front/rear), gas door, mirrors, and body are all painted by different machines in different places so any variation on the metallic paint mix is going to visible once you put them all together on a single car.

If it is really a big and noticeable issue, talk to your dealer about it. They might (a really really big might) be willing to repaint the entire car all at once under warranty but don't count on it.

67 Convertible 08-19-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwlflyer (Post 817646)
When my car is clean and in direct sunlight it looks like the car is painted 4 different colors. The front and rear fascias are more of a blue tint compared to the hood and body which seem to have a greenish tint. The mirrors are more silver and the gas door is darker gray. The doors are also a couple of shades different than the body panels. Anyone else notice these color variations or am I just really anal?

I think they all have a slight variance, some worse than others. The front and rear facias, mirrors and gas doors are provided from a supplier which are obviously painted at a different time with a different paint batch then the body and shipped to the assembly plant seperately. My RJT has slightly less metalic sheen on the facias, mirrors and gas door, all my body panels hood, trunklid, doors and fenders match exactly the same though. I'm perfectly fine with it.

ss1_2010 08-19-2009 08:40 PM

Mine is the same way but its just the light and shadows the car has alot of curves and breaks

Paperer 08-19-2009 08:46 PM

That's just the sexy poking through.

lhj 970 08-19-2009 09:49 PM

The shades differ based on what material it is put on

Luny 08-19-2009 09:51 PM

i actually like that on the CGM makes it cooler lol

Seventh Camaro 08-19-2009 10:36 PM

I have a SIM 2SS, and the color from the doors forward is alot different than the rear quarters back. I have been in discussions with my dealer, who is contacting the GM area rep. to talk about options. Mine is very noticable.

OUR72GTO 08-20-2009 12:29 AM

SIM shows this in all pictures. There is NOTHING wrong with the paint. The car body was not painted in sections. Mine looks different from the door to the fender, and both were painted at the same time.

The only colors that will not do this will be white and yellow. Maybe black.

This was covered months ago.

TAG UR IT 08-20-2009 01:46 AM

Actually, the gas door, mirror, front facia, and I believe the rear facia (could be wrong about that one) were all painted elsewhere. I believe that the material also had a role in the difference in paint.

YOU ARE CORRECT, OP. They ARE different. I own a CGM and mine is the SAME way.

vsgls1 08-20-2009 03:58 PM

Same here, the fuel door is the worst though.

CGM2SSRS 08-23-2009 09:56 AM

I love my CGM! It's like a chameleon. It will show so many different shades in different light sources. It's also constantly complimented for the color. I was hesitant choosing this color going in. Being a black exterior guy but wanting to go in a different direction on this car. I'm so happy I stuck it out with this color.