Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   1SS Ashen Gray Metallic Build Thread (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226567)

daxavier 05-26-2012 10:29 AM

1SS Ashen Gray Metallic Build Thread

I ordered my 2012 1SS in Ashen Gray Metallic sight unseen. The only existing images at the time I ordered this color were on the ZL1 Vert concept. I took a chance and it was more than worth it. I have finally done some work on her and felt it was time to start my own build thread. After watching "Better Off Dead" as a kid, I fell in love with Lane's 67 RS SS in tuxedo black. My father bought an '89 Z28 in the early 90s. It was a beast. I never forgot the feeling of being thrown back in the seat. I had some "fast" cars in high school and college; a '92 Cutlass Supreme SL (190K miles), a '95 Monte Carlo SS (150K miles), and a '00 Eclipse (90K miles). I did a lot of work on those cars, but they were tired. My original idea was to build a 69 Camaro SS. After doing all the research, I realized it would take me at least 2 years of solid work to even get a moving vehicle. After 3 deployments, I realized how much my time meant to me. A new car was in order. The bolt on aftermarket really appeals to me as most projects can be done in a day. That was all it took. A year later I ordered my very own 1SS. I said "No" to almost every option knowing that everything would change eventually. I wanted a blank canvas. The Camaro body with a big engine. That's what I got. I never even test drove an SS. The first time I fired up the engine at the dealer was every thing I imagined it would be. Love at first pedal mash. Here follows the evolution of a monster. I call her Mjolnir, after the enchanted hammer of Thor. It can only be wielded by its master, it never misses its mark, and it always kills with one blow.

daxavier 05-26-2012 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mjolnir coming off the trailer at the dealer

daxavier 05-26-2012 10:34 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Picking her up after a 2 month wait. It was painful, but it was worth it.

daxavier 05-26-2012 10:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
After her first bath and wax.

daxavier 05-26-2012 10:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Nothing says american muscle to me like a fat Hurst shifter ball. The leather wrapped knob wasn't cutting it for me. So I picked up a ball expecting it to be a 5 minute job. I found out that the stock short throw kit uses the same press fit stick as the base shifter. So I ponied up and threaded the shaft myself (with help from a friend). Cutting the first thread was the most nerve wracking thing I've ever done.

daxavier 05-26-2012 10:44 AM

That transition piece came from sickspeed. It has a set screw so it won't move. It really completes the look.

daxavier 05-26-2012 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I drive in flips flops a lot. I got sick of slipping off the OE pedals. I ordered these SRP pedals. They are the grid pattern (minus the trim ring) in anodized black. It was an easy install and makes a huge difference. I have even started working on heel toe shifting.

daxavier 05-26-2012 10:48 AM

I added a whistler radar detector. It has already paid for itself many times. Pics will follow once I find a better way to route the hardwire cable.

daxavier 05-26-2012 10:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I undertook my biggest project to date. I was sick of almost getting run over by clowns only to beep my tiny euro horn in feeble anger. I wanted a train horn. In order to do that, I needed to open up some space. So, I ordered the Roto Fab washer relocation kit. While I was at it, I figured I should just cowboy up and add a CAI and Apex scoop. I used the scoop as a mounting base for my horn, which worked out great. I got suckered in to using a bolt from the original washer for the pump. It looked great and worked awesome, until I lowered the car and the tire practically smashed it. I ended up attaching the pump to the scoop as well. At first I was worried about stress on the metal. After install, it wasn't even phased by the weight. In fact, the Apex washer relocation kit puts the reservoir in the same place I put my pump. In the end everything worked out. I can now certainly be heard. I used an add-a-circuit on the horn button circuit. What's nice is that the train horn doesn't beep when I arm the alarm system. Nice for those late nights in my neighborhood.

daxavier 05-26-2012 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the CAI. I didn't take a photo after installing the washer reservoir. I'll take a pic later.

daxavier 05-26-2012 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My next undertaking is a complete audio install. I have a laundry list of stuff, Infinity Kappa components and 6x9s, Alpine 10" type R, Alpine 5 channel amp, Dynamat, 2 farad cap, JVC nav head unit all new wires, backup cam etc. I ended up deciding on the Metra Kit. While not a perfect option, it has a better track record than the Scosche has so far. I'll post pics as the project progresses.

daxavier 05-26-2012 11:02 AM

I have an Audio Integrations custom box on order for the sub, as well as the ******** 6x9 mounting plates for the rear deck.

daxavier 05-26-2012 11:04 AM

Almost forgot, I put the skip shift eliminator in at the same time as the hurst ball mod. Never took pics. It was a tight work space, sorry :)

RenegadeSS 05-27-2012 12:52 AM

Keep up the good work! Really love the color.