Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Driving Dynamics verses Numbers (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246035)

Fenderaddict2 08-24-2012 05:22 PM

Driving Dynamics verses Numbers

Driving dynamics verses actual numbers, which really matters to you and why?

For me it's the thrill of driving. Something will always outperform me or my car so having the most fun matters. If I was racing seriously again then numbers are all I ultimately car about but then I'd have a car specifically for that purpose.

What do you value more?

knownfear 08-24-2012 05:30 PM

I hear ya! I sure miss my 1994 rx7 turbo x2.

I have not ran across one in my SS but on paper they say I'm faster.

That rotary bullet sure felt faster, AND... OMG at the way it held the road!!

Dry roads anyway.

That thing felt like it was on rails.

I LOVE a car that "puts lead in my pencil", and that one did.

knownfear 08-24-2012 05:32 PM

Bla, bla, bla..... "rice burner"... I know.

That car was amazing!!!

Bad70supreme 08-24-2012 08:43 PM

I sold my mid 11 sec auto for the fun of driving a manual camaro, even though it would get spanked by my olds at this point. I actually have more fun with this car because it's a challenge, and it actually turns. Lol

samhardy2008 08-24-2012 11:13 PM

the fun of driving is what does it for me....numbers dont really matter

malave7567 08-24-2012 11:50 PM

The feel and thrill of the drive is what I worry about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knownfear (Post 5488590)
Bla, bla, bla..... "rice burner"... I know.

That car was amazing!!!

I had a 2nd gen turbo with full suspension upgrades (shocks, springs, sways) and a custom rebuilt engine. I still miss that car. I feel the same way you felt about your 7. It was faster than my v6 and handled amazingly, especially with wide tires stuffed in the fenders. RX7s aren't everyone's favorite, but they just have a certain feel and balance, and when you rebuild it to withstand even higher RPMs... It's just a crazy feeling having 325+ crank hp in a 2600-2700lb car and winding it to 8k+ RPMs

Fenderaddict2 08-25-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knownfear (Post 5488579)
I hear ya! I sure miss my 1994 rx7 turbo x2.

I have not ran across one in my SS but on paper they say I'm faster.

That rotary bullet sure felt faster, AND... OMG at the way it held the road!!

Dry roads anyway.

That thing felt like it was on rails.

I LOVE a car that "puts lead in my pencil", and that one did.

The last gen RX-7 is one of my all time favorites but one I never could own. My biggest client at the time was Nissan so the optics would have been wrong. The Nissan Z was a good car too, favored by magazines and able to post better numbers but I still long for and regret not owning an RX-7. Oh, and let's not forget the Mazda was simply beautiful. One of the best looking cars in that era, if not a timeless classic.

Fenderaddict2 08-25-2012 07:48 AM

Shame Mazda is in dire straights. I'd love to see a proper RX-7 return. Mazda knows drivers, even my latest a Mazda handles insanely well. It has too much roll, but the grip and numbers (yep, she pulls over a G!) are truly impressive. Have to keep it on the boil all the time though.

joey0480 08-25-2012 08:35 AM

Fun of driving over numbers. I regret selling my 05 evo viii....most enjoyable car i ever had....but.in the same aspect, being in my 30s i dont see that as the car for me. Let the camaro go for the charger and love this car off the line for daily driving.....

MagnumForceGB 08-25-2012 09:06 AM

I think the driving experience is worth more then numbers. My Mazda 3s isn't the fastest, but it sure is fun taking corners while cars that were riding your ass have to slam on the brakes.

Doc 08-25-2012 09:55 AM

I like overall balance. Numbers are fun to a point; it's often how we keep track or "score" of how we're doing but to me the most fun is when you can balance everything as a whole. I love driving and I hate having to fight a car that won't respond to what I'm telling it to do. I hate understeer. Horsepower isn't the be-all end-all to me.

Ideally the car I'll have the most fun in has a combination of power, balance, handling is neutral, everything is solid; not a lot of rattles or bumps and bangs when driving. And of course there's style; I won't own a car that looks clunky even if it has everything else I'd want.

I've gotten my 2010 SS down to very close to ideal, but I keep hunting and searching for mods that can make it better....usually in small increments. Now it mostly is numbers; weight reduction, slight increases in power etc. but this car has such a great feel and balance to it and it's a joy to drive on the track. I've had many great cars over the last several decades but this car hands down is my absolute favorite.

That is unless and until Chevy comes out with a Z/28 then temptation might overcome me and the modding begins all over again lol...

Fenderaddict2 08-25-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 5490659)
I like overall balance. Numbers are fun to a point; it's often how we keep track or "score" of how we're doing but to me the most fun is when you can balance everything as a whole. I love driving and I hate having to fight a car that won't respond to what I'm telling it to do. I hate understeer. Horsepower isn't the be-all end-all to me.

Ideally the car I'll have the most fun in has a combination of power, balance, handling is neutral, everything is solid; not a lot of rattles or bumps and bangs when driving. And of course there's style; I won't own a car that looks clunky even if it has everything else I'd want.

I've gotten my 2010 SS down to very close to ideal, but I keep hunting and searching for mods that can make it better....usually in small increments. Now it mostly is numbers; weight reduction, slight increases in power etc. but this car has such a great feel and balance to it and it's a joy to drive on the track. I've had many great cars over the last several decades but this car hands down is my absolute favorite.

That is unless and until Chevy comes out with a Z/28 then temptation might overcome me and the modding begins all over again lol...

Slightly off topic, but every time you post I look at your car and think, "damn, I'd love to own that". It just looks so freakin' cool. Easily my favourite looking car on this forum, and that's saying a lot because there are some sweet rides here. BTW, number two is MonsterTodd.

matt55 08-25-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey0480 (Post 5490411)
Fun of driving over numbers. I regret selling my 05 evo viii....most enjoyable car i ever had....but.in the same aspect, being in my 30s i dont see that as the car for me. Let the camaro go for the charger and love this car off the line for daily driving.....

+1

gutterball 08-25-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 (Post 5488549)
Driving dynamics verses actual numbers, which really matters to you and why?

For me it's the thrill of driving. Something will always outperform me or my car so having the most fun matters. If I was racing seriously again then numbers are all I ultimately car about but then I'd have a car specifically for that purpose.

What do you value more?

Driving dynamics. I love the way it feels, and I like the way it stays planted around corners. and by the way nice looking Mustang .