Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Can someone explain the traction control to me (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127888)

newmoon 02-06-2011 06:41 AM

Can someone explain the traction control to me

First off the car is a SS 6-spd. I am reading about "traction control" on/off, sport mode, and competative mode. I see a TC button on/off but how do you get to the other modes? I just picked up the car a few days ago and the dealer is mailing me the owners manual as it wasn't in the car. How does the TC work, what are your thoughts on it at the track and stoplight races?

Simster 02-06-2011 07:27 AM

The only one I use is the 7 second rule. Hold it for 7 seconds and then hold on for the ride of your life. Just make sure you're in an open area.

SSE 4 2SS 02-06-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmoon (Post 2808808)
First off the car is a SS 6-spd. I am reading about "traction control" on/off, sport mode, and competative mode. I see a TC button on/off but how do you get to the other modes? I just picked up the car a few days ago and the dealer is mailing me the owners manual as it wasn't in the car. How does the TC work, what are your thoughts on it at the track and stoplight races?

If you push the button in front of the shifter one time, one light comes on.. (function off) push it twice and the other one comes on... I apologize for remembering which one is which.... as I only do the hold it for six or seven seconds until both lights come one, telling me all the nannies are off...

BUT...If you are in any kind of inclement weather, slippery road conditions or traffic, I highly recommend you leave everything on.. no lights on the dash, as they will save you in more ways than you can imagine... Right after I got my car, I got really badly sideways in less than favorable conditions simply by grabbing one gear too low and stabbing a little too hard on the gas.... For you, your car, and others around you... leave them on until conditions warrant turning them off... Figure out what it will and wont do and then happy motoring... It is a different animal with the nannies off...

newmoon 02-06-2011 07:34 AM

Simster are there any beeps, flashes, or lights that let you know when you are in this mode? Also T/C is off- hold button for 7 secs and then you are in Comp mode? OK so two lights "on" means all traction control aide is off? What is the differance between just pressing the button once, vs holding for 7 seconds? This is pretty confusing sorry.

shawn18 02-06-2011 07:36 AM

If you hold it down for 7 seconds it will turn off all of the computer controlled systems " traction control" " comp mode" and so on. In 7 second mode you can crank the rpm's up and dump the clutch and let that LS3 do what GM designed it to do and that is to make grown men giggle like a school girl!!...............Have fun but be safe!

I really do not know the difference in all of the different modes I just turn it all off when I want to have a little fun. I wouldn't reccomend doing it on the highway. I would try to find a track somewhere and let 'r rip.!

SSE 4 2SS 02-06-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmoon (Post 2808873)
Simster are there any beeps, flashes, or lights that let you know when you are in this mode? Also T/C is off- hold button for 7 secs and then you are in Comp mode?

Look on the dash right side gauge and push the button... you will see a light come on, it's small and orange... push the button again and the other one will come on and the first one will go off... if I remember correctly... push and hold for seven seconds and both lights come on and then it's you and the motor and the car... Neither one is on...

RAY-RAY 02-06-2011 07:46 AM

alrighty, here's the deal.

push the t/c button "ONCE" and you turn off the traction control.

push the t/c button "TWICE" (push 1-see the t/c off light come on) and press again simultaniously and you will see the DIC say "COMPETITIVE MODE" this is the launch control function.

"LAUNCH CONTROL"- hold the clutch down, hold down the gas pedel (this will limit it to 4500 rpms) have it is 1st gear and dump the clutch, and GOOOOOOO!!!

push and "HOLD" the t/c button down for 6-7 seconds and you turn everything "OFF" (both lights will be on)

hope this helps everybody!!

RAY-RAY 02-06-2011 07:47 AM

Competitive Mode = FUN TIME!!!!

newmoon 02-06-2011 07:52 AM

Thanks for the info folks. Ray-Ray you seem to like the competative mode I take it this is nothing more than a launch rev limiter, or does this offer traction control assist as well

RAY-RAY 02-06-2011 07:59 AM

Launch Control is a form of traction control that optimizes wheelspin while launching the vehicle. It's activated when the vehicle is at a standstill while in Competitive Mode.

When the accelerator pedal is pressed to the floor with the clutch engaged, the RPM is
limited to 4500rpm. Releasing the clutch while keeping the accelerator
pressed to the floor provides controlled wheelspin and acceleration.

RAY-RAY 02-06-2011 08:00 AM

plus like I said.....it's way fun!!! lol

2010 SS RS 02-06-2011 08:06 AM

Stop light races will end up costing your your license, your car or someones life! Plenty of tracks around so take to safely to the track. These cars are capable of far more than the inconsistant street conditions can ever provide.
Crowns in the road, paint at crosswalks etc all can cause one wheel to hook or slip. Not trying to be a prude or anything just sayin I have seen more than one good driver lose cars in similar situations. A track is prepped, flat and consistant so you can really let it go there.

newmoon 02-06-2011 08:14 AM

2010 SS RS- please understand that I know when it is safe and when it is not I've been racing for 20 years now with cars much faster than this SS. When I mentioned "stop light" I meant what is the best TC option for the street performance.

big boss 02-06-2011 08:43 AM

T/C

Be careful when you turn the computer off, it becomes a REAL BEAR.:mad0259::mad0260::confused0068: