Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Removing the Cats? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10469)

ctk1 12-10-2008 11:58 AM

Removing the Cats?

Shortly after I get my 2SS I plan on removing the stock mufflers and adding Corsa black case (aggressive) mufflers. I know that the cat really restricts the exhaust flow, and kills the sound. My question for you guys experienced with computer controlled engines is...If I remove the cats completely, it will obviously make it loud which is what I'm going for, but will it set off any lights on the dash or make the car run lousy because the computer will be getting strange information?

linkwpc 12-10-2008 12:19 PM

I think the sounds is better with cats on. It give them a better sounds but not a louder sound level. I would keep my cats or maybe get some high flow cats!

SSNIGHTMARE 12-10-2008 12:38 PM

cats generally do not quite down an exhaust system, they can however take out the annoying rasp associated with some high flow straight through systems. Removing the cats and o2 sensors will set a code, you can either install high flow cats, o2 sims, have ur original pcm tuned for no cats. I would put on a set of long tubes with high flow cats, and have the pcm tuned accordingly.

TAG UR IT 12-10-2008 12:40 PM

Do it right and put on high flow cats. You are sure to trigger codes (lights) and that might even have an effect on the way it drives....who knows right now.

Best bet is to jump on a vette forum and ask those who deal w/ the LS3's on a daily basis.....or just call CamaroSpike!

99b4c 12-10-2008 01:03 PM

I used to run two cats and no mufflers on my Monte Carlo, it sounded good and loud. I will be pulling the mufflers on my Camaro to hear what it sounds like, if not good than I will remove the cats and remove from the programming.

The cats do quite the exaust a little.

Camaro_Corvette 12-10-2008 01:19 PM

From DC :thumbsup: Surely your info is here.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...=removing+cats

Even better

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...=removing+cats

LSxJunkie 12-10-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctk1 (Post 213811)
Shortly after I get my 2SS I plan on removing the stock mufflers and adding Corsa black case (aggressive) mufflers. I know that the cat really restricts the exhaust flow, and kills the sound. My question for you guys experienced with computer controlled engines is...If I remove the cats completely, it will obviously make it loud which is what I'm going for, but will it set off any lights on the dash or make the car run lousy because the computer will be getting strange information?

Yes. Either way, you're going to need a tune, so you're better off getting a set of longtubes with catless midpipes if you want to see power. All you're going to do is piss off the PCM if you just cut the cats out without a tune. There's a downstream o2 that will detect it, most people tune them out.

MerF 12-10-2008 01:35 PM

Why? Is 5 rwhp really worth the effort of the custom exhast flanges and pipes, as well as the money to keep the ECU from being pissed about it? And don't say "the sound" because we have no idea what the car sounds like from the factory yet (though initial reports are damn good) and we definitely don't know what the car will sound like once you start modifying the exhaust. MOST cars sound like a can of rattled ass without the cats in place.

1_2Many 12-10-2008 01:37 PM

My buddy has a new Mustang GT and he put in a muffler delete pipe and it sounds fantastic. Not too loud and very deep.

Removing cats will definitely throw a code unless you trick the O2 sensors.

Camaro_Corvette 12-10-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerF (Post 213878)
Why? Is 5 rwhp really worth the effort of the custom exhast flanges and pipes, as well as the money to keep the ECU from being pissed about it? And don't say "the sound" because we have no idea what the car sounds like from the factory yet (though initial reports are damn good) and we definitely don't know what the car will sound like once you start modifying the exhaust. MOST cars sound like a can of rattled ass without the cats in place.

:stupid:

MerF 12-10-2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1_2Many (Post 213879)
My buddy has a new Mustang GT and he put in a muffler delete pipe and it sounds fantastic. Not too loud and very deep.

Removing cats will definitely throw a code unless you trick the O2 sensors.

Mustangs always have, and probably alwasy will, sound better than F-bodys. It's just the way it is. You can not compare the two, one is about show and the other is about go.

radz28 12-10-2008 01:58 PM

From the initial looks of the exhaust as I've seen it to now, I don't think cutting them off will do much except make you spend money on deleting PCM codes, pipes, and getting a lot of drone inside the car. If noise is your thing, cool, have at it, but gutting them is probably not going to do much for you. I never had much of a difference in performance when I was running a catd' Y-pipe and off-road Y-pipe with some mid-length headers on my car. The codes were deleted, and my trap speeds never reflected a gain either way. The sound didn't change as much until I went to LTs, and I still get a little rasp with the little pup cats' I use now. The catback was the same and cutout was always open.

It's your car, so do as you like ;)

blackZbandit 12-10-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99b4c (Post 213855)
I used to run two cats and no mufflers on my Monte Carlo, it sounded good and loud. I will be pulling the mufflers on my Camaro to hear what it sounds like, if not good than I will remove the cats and remove from the programming.

The cats do quite the exaust a little.

I'm thinking about doing electronically controlled cutouts... I at least want the option to not wake up the neighbors when i come home at 4 in the morning.

Camaro_Corvette 12-10-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackZbandit (Post 213913)
I'm thinking about doing electronically controlled cutouts... I at least want the option to not wake up the neighbors when i come home at 4 in the morning.

I like your style, more power at the flip of a switch.:thumbsup: